“brown, stained pillows which staff were unable to replace.”
Review of The Carlton Hotel

The Carlton Hotel
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Without a doubt this is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. 70's decor, thin mattress, springs showing, brown stained pillows which the manager said were "the same in all 120 rooms". Rude ,discourteous desk staff, obviously overworked and underpaid. The bacony has no security as it runs the length of the hotel, with access to all the rooms.The shower was difficult to use and regulate and the hot water was dangerously hot.. The place should be pulled down as it occupies a prime location in Sandown, and is not an advetisment for this beautiful island, and would I imagine deter visitors returning.

4  Thank annamaur
There are newer reviews for The Carlton Hotel

Reviewed 29 April 2011

This hotel is filthey hole and needs a very very good clean the carpets are filthey rooms need updating don't be fooled by the down public arer. The food very poor do your self a faver book in somewear decent. Thes other people hoow say its excellent must live in wright filth if they think this place is clean

1  Thank Sharon883
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I stayed at this Hotel for 3 nights over the Easter break. It ranks as one of the worst hotels I have ever had the misfortune to stay at. My problems started on arrival when my bedroom smelled strongly of cigarette smoke which I tracked to the curtains. Next I found that the pillows on the beds were old, stained and dirty. The pillow cases were freshly laundered but what lay underneath didn't bear thinking about.

The overbath shower was inefficient, barely a trickle. The taps on the bath got stuck when I tried to run a shower and there was no hot water. The mattresses on the beds are cheap and you can feel the springs through them. The bathroom door was covered in sticky fingermarks, the light over the bathroom mirror did not work.. I could go on and on.......

The curtains in my room were sprayed with air freshner whilst I was at dinner the first night - it didn't help. Next morning I asked for the curtains to be either laundered or replaced which they were. But I still had a problem with the pillows. All in all I was offered 8 replacement pillows and each one was as dirty and stained as the original ones. I was told that all the pillows in the hotel were the same and they didn't have any new ones.

My complaints were dealt with by the management with indifference, almost bordering on argumentative and with no responsibility or ownership of the problems. At no time was I offered an apology and neither was I asked if everything was alright afterwards.

The one redeeming factor during my stay were the staff in the dining rooms who were efficient and helpful. However, there are many aspects of this hotel that are below acceptable standard. There were other people in the party who had complaints but didn't want to say anything because it was only for 3 nights. In my view, that's why things don't get improved. This hotel may be regarded as good value for money by some but my experience was awful and I would advise anyone planning on staying here not to have their expectations set too high.

2  Thank Violetta49
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Hotel staff were very good, we moved from a room at the back of the hotel to a sea view room, it was a lovely room the view was superb!! Food good, cleanliness very good. The dining room our group was in was rather noisy there are no curtains, carpets or table cloths to absorb the noise, but thats a minor thing!!
I would definitely stay there again, but only in a sea view room.

Room Tip: Sea view room is a must!!
2  Thank HMR2492
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I have just returned from my stay at this hotel and whilst I agree with other customers that the bathrooms rather let the hotel down the plus points outweigh the minuses ,the friendliness and service of the staff was first class especially the waiters and the chefs ,although the hotel was quite full meals were served prompt and by courtious and helpful young people whose aim was to see that we enjoyed our meals.the comfortable sitting areas are first class ,it was a pleasure to stay there .

2  Thank pam710
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Stayed here for four days. Great location, good food,great service from all staff, but reception let it down. Bedrooms covered in dust, not hoovered in a long time.Lots of complaints from other guests about rooms. The main light in our bedroom popped, told reception three times. Still not replaced when we left. Come on Carlton you have a lot going for you, but will lose bookings if you don't get it right. I have worked at hotels and there is no excuses for dirt and dust.

1  Thank lesbev
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Small dirty rooms , staff members are ignorant , The showers are terrible looking like something from the 70's no power shower here its a 40 year old head attached to the taps and dribbles water . told the Hotel manager at the time he wasnt interested . Got bitten by bed bugs really bad, still suffering . Went don to eat and when we sat down at a table the tried to split a group of six up for no apperant reason when we questioned them the waitor threw his arms in the air had a few choice words then we waited 30 minutes before we were served . Food only comes in tiny portions its rediculous to think that they are allowed to get away with this . If it6s comfort away from home this is not the place i could tell you so much more but i havnt got space , dont waste your money .

Room Tip: Dont go to this Hotel ,
  • Stayed: April 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Burlington Hotel
#23 of 29 in Sandown
The Wight
The Wight
#5 of 29 in Sandown

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!