“fantastic”
Review of The Carlton Hotel

The Carlton Hotel
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I regularly run trips to various locations with groups of people with special needs. Therefore finding the right hotel to suit peoples needs is a must. I would like to thank everyone at the Carlton for making this years holiday a brilliant one and it is a place I will be returning to again and again. I cant thank everyone enough and would recommend this hotel every time.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jhinchcliffe

Reviewed 24 May 2011

We visited as a group supporting adults with learning diosabilities and found this totally met their needs.
It was great value for money, friendly service, the staff couldn't do enough for us and they adapted to meet our needs.
Rooms were basic but met our needs, bedding and towels were changed daily.
Food was excellent and well portioned with a good selection of what to eat.
Location was great and we had good views.
We will be booking here again in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank bobbins028
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Well where can I start, I went here with my wife as we were going to go away in December 2010 to Folkestone, but circumstances beyond our control meant we had to go away in May and change our hols to the Isle of Wight. We both had had some bad news at December sow e were looking forward to this to get our heads straight and have a nice relaxing break but the hotel was horrendous. We had a relaxing break at Sandown and on the Isle but not whilst at the hotel. First of all when we entered the bedroom it smelled of wee and stale sweat. The bed was lumpy and uncomfortable, The curtains had big rips in them and were absolutely filthy, the window would open but would not shut, the windowsills were rotten, the TV only had no remote, only had 3 channels and was not very clear picture and when you tuned 2 more channels in, they disappeared when you switched the TV on again. There were huge dust-balls behind my bedside dresser and my wifes dresser which caused her to cough all holiday. The chest of drawers we had were stained on top with every stain imaginable that had accumulated over the years. We had a room on the 3rd floor at the back of the hotel, overlooking a scruffy dump yard behind the kitchen where staff constantly came out for a smoke. Nothing wrong with having a smoke if you want one I suppose but it's what they stood next to that was unbelievable. Where they stood there were 6 different gas canisters and what looked like oxygen cylinders and staff were routinely smoking next to these...HEALTH AND SAFETY NIGHTMARE OR WHAT. so that's the bedroom, now the service...Well it was ok when you could find a member of staff but they weren't overly stepping over themselves to help you. No one was ever at reception no matter what time of day or night you went. We phoned the reception from our room 3 times on the first day to report that the room was a craphole but no one ever answered the phone. In the end we gave up as we got the attitude that if we did find any staff they just wouldn't care. The restaurant was clean and the food was good but the service was abysmal to put it mildly. You had to wait ages after finishing a course for someone to clear your plate away and then another half an hour before staff came round and asked you what you wanted for the next course, this happened every night and every breakfast and it began to get very, very infuriating. Occasionally a waiter would come round at dinner and ask if you wanted any drinks from the bar, but they never kept an eye on you when you had finished and asked if you wanted another one, in the end we ordered 2 drinks each every dinner just to save time as the service was horrible. This is because there was only one waiter running round between 80 guests in the dining room so you can hardly blame hims it's the hotels fault for not employing more and making the guests feel better. One tiem we got sick of waiting for the waiter so I went to the bar myself to get me and my wife a drink, but guess what? No one serving at the bar...What a surprise, just like reception. So we got no drinks with dinner that night. There was also no water on the table every night for dinner and no condiments also. On the last day they actually put one packet of tomato sauce on the table and one packet of brown sauce. WoW! one packet of tomato sauce between 2 of us and hardly the sauce you would use on the fish dish or pork dish served that night, I must admit I have never ever complained about anything before, hotels included as we have always stayed at lovely hotels and we always look at people who complain and think 'get a life', but we know now how other people feel and felt so strongly about this hotel that we just had to complain. It's absolutely awful, the only good thing i can say about is the Bar Lounge was lovely and clean and comfortable overlooking the sea with nice sofas, but that's all everything else was **** and that's putting it nicely. If it wasn't for the lovely isle excursions we went on and the blue skies and sunny weather this would have been a nightmare holiday. AVOID AT ALL COSTS, BEWARE YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...ABANDON ALL HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER THE CARLTON.

Room Tip: There is no BEST room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Eggy5001
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Without a doubt this is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. 70's decor, thin mattress, springs showing, brown stained pillows which the manager said were "the same in all 120 rooms". Rude ,discourteous desk staff, obviously overworked and underpaid. The bacony has no security as it runs the length of the hotel, with access to all the rooms.The shower was difficult to use and regulate and the hot water was dangerously hot.. The place should be pulled down as it occupies a prime location in Sandown, and is not an advetisment for this beautiful island, and would I imagine deter visitors returning.

4  Thank annamaur
Reviewed 29 April 2011

This hotel is filthey hole and needs a very very good clean the carpets are filthey rooms need updating don't be fooled by the down public arer. The food very poor do your self a faver book in somewear decent. Thes other people hoow say its excellent must live in wright filth if they think this place is clean

1  Thank Sharon883
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I stayed at this Hotel for 3 nights over the Easter break. It ranks as one of the worst hotels I have ever had the misfortune to stay at. My problems started on arrival when my bedroom smelled strongly of cigarette smoke which I tracked to the curtains. Next I found that the pillows on the beds were old, stained and dirty. The pillow cases were freshly laundered but what lay underneath didn't bear thinking about.

The overbath shower was inefficient, barely a trickle. The taps on the bath got stuck when I tried to run a shower and there was no hot water. The mattresses on the beds are cheap and you can feel the springs through them. The bathroom door was covered in sticky fingermarks, the light over the bathroom mirror did not work.. I could go on and on.......

The curtains in my room were sprayed with air freshner whilst I was at dinner the first night - it didn't help. Next morning I asked for the curtains to be either laundered or replaced which they were. But I still had a problem with the pillows. All in all I was offered 8 replacement pillows and each one was as dirty and stained as the original ones. I was told that all the pillows in the hotel were the same and they didn't have any new ones.

My complaints were dealt with by the management with indifference, almost bordering on argumentative and with no responsibility or ownership of the problems. At no time was I offered an apology and neither was I asked if everything was alright afterwards.

The one redeeming factor during my stay were the staff in the dining rooms who were efficient and helpful. However, there are many aspects of this hotel that are below acceptable standard. There were other people in the party who had complaints but didn't want to say anything because it was only for 3 nights. In my view, that's why things don't get improved. This hotel may be regarded as good value for money by some but my experience was awful and I would advise anyone planning on staying here not to have their expectations set too high.

2  Thank Violetta49
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Hotel staff were very good, we moved from a room at the back of the hotel to a sea view room, it was a lovely room the view was superb!! Food good, cleanliness very good. The dining room our group was in was rather noisy there are no curtains, carpets or table cloths to absorb the noise, but thats a minor thing!!
I would definitely stay there again, but only in a sea view room.

Room Tip: Sea view room is a must!!
2  Thank HMR2492
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
Sandringham Hotel
#7 of 51 in Shanklin
The Burlington Hotel
The Burlington Hotel
#7 of 29 in Sandown

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!