The Carlton Hotel
US$112
US$111
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Wight Bay Hotel(Sandown)(Great Value!)
US$83
Priceline
US$123
TripAdvisor
Cygnet Hotel(Sandown)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 October 2011

This hotel was booked for an activity weekend break through IoW Tours. After reading previous reviews I was slightly concerned about staying here, so when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised.
Although the hotel has seen better days it was clean and comfortable. The rooms are not large but have plenty of drawer space, and sufficient hanging space. Out of our party of 4 couples and 5 singles, the only complaint was the television reception, and one single guest thought his room a bit small.
The rooms and bedsheets were clean, the shower worked well, and we had plenty of hot water mornings and evenings. The food was acceptable, and the waiters terrific, especially Richard, who served our table of six efficiently, even when we tested him with 6 different breakfast choices.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank h00p0e
Reviewed 16 October 2011

This hotel is in a wonderful location, and could potentially be something really amazing, however, my experience was one of poor service, tired, grubby, and scruffy looking accomodation, and completely disinterested, unhelpful staff.
In fairness, £30 per night for bed and breakfast is very reasonable, but for the three nights I stayed there the kitchen had run out of breakfast completely.
The welcome booklet in the rooms stated that breakfast was served between 8.30-9.15, so I made sure I was downstairs in good time, but on each occasion there was no brakfast left. Trying to attract the attention of the clearly understaffed waiting team was nigh on impossible, and by the time I actually managed to get their attention, the best they could offer me was a piece of soggy white toast, with some cold baked beans on top.
I have stayed in hotels in numerous countries, and have never encountered a situation where a place had simply run out of food.
My complaints about this to the reception staff were met with a dismissive, and unhelpful attitude. The accomodation itself is in dire need of refurbishment, and the overrall standard of cleanliness left quite a bit to be desired. When I arrived in the hotel, there were dirty pieces of soap left on the sink from the previous occupant, and a dirty sponge left in the shower. The towels were not replaced daily, and the carpets looked in serious need of a good hoovering. The television had a terrible reception, with only two channels that could actually be watched. There was no remote control, either.
Overrall, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Sarah G
Reviewed 10 October 2011

My elderly parents have just returned from a 5 day break at this hotel as part of a coach holiday.
This break was to celebrate their Wedding Anniversary but what a start!!!
On arrival they found that their toilet covered with excrement and despite complaining the toilet was not cleaned until at least 4 hours later while they were at evening meal.
My parents are not the complaining sort, so this must have been really bad ?
My parents are now reluctant travelers due to age etc and my father does need access to a bathroom quite regularly.
Obviously, this was far from perfect start to their holiday!

I wanted to email the coach company to let them know, but they don't have an email address!!!
I probably can't name the company here, but can I do that on private message ?

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Seagull1WestSussex
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Only two words can describe this hotel – filthy dump. We went with a coach party, had we have arrived under our own stream, we would have drove straight by. We had three room changes in 24 hours. Sorry, unable to show the full extent of the filth as we forgot our camera, mores the pity.
Room 1. Over looking overgrown wasteland full of rubbish and unkept buildings. The bed cover was stained and ripped. Carpet had not been hovered and was stained. Shower curtain dirty and mouldy. The shower tray surround was of broken tiles and the grout was black and housed hairs. The toilet seat broken and the ceiling fan was clogged up with dust.
Room 2. Same as above but as time was getting on and my husband ‘didn’t want to cause a fuss’ we stayed in here for the night. We didn’t unpack as the draws housed an old tea bag, food crumbs and old tea/coffee stains. Next morning we washed best we could with the water from the kettle as the electric shower ran cold. At least the kettle got used for something, we didn’t make tea because the cups and spoons hadn’t been cleaned from the last occupants.
To rub salt into the wounds we found out that the rest of the coach party had sea view rooms, everyone except us! We spoke to the duty manager about this and were told we could have a sea view if we paid an extra £50. Not understanding this we had a heated confrontation. I asked him to come up to our room, which he did. His attitude soon changed when he saw the state of the room, he declined three times to answer my question ‘Would he put his clothes in the draws?’
Room 3. We got our sea view room. Fantastic being treated the same as the rest, or so we thought! It was now obvious that there wasn’t a clean room in the hotel. (really, I promise you I’m not making this up) I went to reception and asked for a vacuum cleaner and told the manager I would vacuum the room, he came up, vacuumed the carpet and the draws, after he had emptied them of rubbish and told us he would be having a word with the house keeper. If he did, it didn’t work because the room didn’t get a clean for the rest of our stay. The tiles in the bathroom and the shower screen still bore the soap scum of many weeks, as with the dust on the floor and the tea/coffee stains that had dripped down the furniture. And has a present on the last morning we had some sort of bug walk across the bottom sheet on the bed.
The dining room was basic, no table cloths, and sachet condiments offered one at a time. Any cutlery left over from a meal was placed on the dining chairs while the table was cleaned and then put back on the table before the next meal. I bought our own cutlery as who knows who had sat on those chairs?! The carpet was filthy and only vacuumed after breakfast, so anything that was brought in or dropped during dinner was still there during breakfast next day.
There is more but I think you get the idea. I don’t usually write reviews, but I feel so strongly that everyone should know about this place as cleanliness is so important. Most of our party didn’t want to complain and just bought cleaning products and cleaned their own rooms. This is not good enough! This hotel need an overall refurbishment and properly trained cleaning staff.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank twosome S
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Hotels public rooms ok.Food ok but very rushed like a works canteen. The bedroom small and scruffy ,furniture chipperd and stained carpet, but the bathroom was the worst i have ever seen. Mould in the shower and the shower curtain, Cobwebs on walls and ceiling. AVOID.

Room Tip: Dont go - avoid. avoid.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple