“For the price of the deal - can't argue”
Review of The Carlton Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandown
The Carlton Hotel
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights last October as part of a coach package - DB&B. On arriving to the hotel, we were given tea/coffee etc whilst we completed the registration form. There is only 1 very small lift, so it took quite a long time to get everyone sorted to their rooms etc.

We went down for dinner later and was a bit surprised that all "tour groups" have to eat together and we had to "double up" on tables - bit weird and a bit off-putting if you were planning on a quiet chat, but I suppose it helps you make friends. This combined with the fact that our party was given the tables in the corner, not the ones overlooking the sea, I imagine it must mean that overall our tour was was much cheaper!

The food was okay - nothing wrong with it - decent portions and quick service.

The room was small but serviceable - big sash window at the back of the hotel - nothing in the way of view, but at least you could get plenty of air - some hotels you can barely open the window at all!
The TV reception was not great - we don't tend to watch TV other than whilst we're getting ready to go out, so not a huge issue - but worth noting.

The breakfast next day was standard - grapefruit and cereal to start - followed by your choice of cooked.

The main reasons we chose this deal/hotel was the great value for 3 nights (£100.00 per person for 3 nights DB&B including coach travel and crossing!) and even more importantly however was the location. You step out of the front and there is the beach. It's on the prom in Sandown, which for those unfamiliar with IOW, is a very quaint lively resort. The pier is also just to the right of the doors, so plenty to do.

Basically, I think this hotel is aimed at older couples (based on the evening entertainment) and those looking for a good time on a shoestring. It's not all bells and whilstles, but if you can put up for a mini-break, it's worth a shot.

Room Tip: Worth contacting hotel direct (if part of a package) and paying a nominal fee to secure one of the t...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Babs_1985186403

Reviewed 22 August 2012

We requested a double, got a twin. After booking we discovered breakfast would be £9.90 extra for us at £77 per night! The TV didn't work in either of the rooms we had. The shower malfunctioned in both the rooms we had. We got trapped in the lift. Housekeeping walked in on us without knocking twice. The room security locks malfuntioned leaving the rooms unlocked all day. The whole place is dated, worn out and in desparate need of comprehensive refurbishment. The staff are disinterested, rude, unhelpfull and clearly hate their jobs. When we complained it became obvious (as was confirmed by staff when pressed) that the hotel is falling apart and each day is a constant battle to solve problems caused by a lack of investment. At £77 per night for a couple this hotel offers ghastly value for money and a very poor experience. As a couple who have travelled the world on a shoestring and at times a healthy budget this hotel performs very badly when compared to Asian hostel accomodation much less a half decent hotel anywhere.

No wonder British coastal resorts are in such terrible decline.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Callum C
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed at the Carlton for 4 nights as part of a coach holiday and had a very enjoyable stay. My room was a single with a double bed at the rear of the hotel which did not benefit from the fantastic views over Sandown bay but the bed was very comfortable and the water always hot for showering and washing. There was maid service every day and the room was left immaculate. Although I can agree that there is some updating to be done, especially the large windows at the front, they looked unclean, but it was obvious when looking closely that the glazing units had blown, but this really spoilt the facade. The staff was very smart and helpful, entertainment good, food was fine,especially the puddings(bread and butter pudding my favourite) and plenty for my needs, although not sure there would enough for some men. My only critisism of the dining room was that it was quite frantic at times, the staff seem to have been told that fast service was expected, but it did seem very rushed and noisy at times. This was my first time on the IOW, but will definitely be back. Thank you everyone who made my stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: There are balcony rooms that I would have liked to try, but needing a single room find that these ar...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Elaine B
Reviewed 19 August 2012

After reading reviews of the hotel I wondered what I was going into.I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights with a very good coach company. The driver was excellent. I stayed in room 326 which was at the back of the hotel down a very narrow corridor which made me feel very claustropbic, I thought I would go into room and see if I felt ok. The view from the window was non existant, it would have been better at the front with a balcony, with views looking out to the sea. The shower in the room was awful you were either frozen or nearly scolded you could hardly regulate it. The food was very sufficient and tastey. The entertainment was good. The hotel does look very tired and would look better with a make over, but it was a cheap break and I enjoyed myself very much and would go back, but would deffinately ask for a better shower. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and polite.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front on the 2nd or 3rd floor it has a lovely view and would probably be quiet...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank NorofolkCatherine
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of a local coach company holiday deal. Hotel is in a good position but is old and tired, very hot and stuffy and could do with a facelift. Corridors only big enough for one+suitcase. Carpets need a good clean. Our room (luckily) faced the beach and sea which was the only good thing about it. Three beds filled the room so couldn't get around too well. The balcony door did not lock and was reachable from any room on that floor as the balcony ran the complete Hotel frontage. The extractor fan in the small bathroom did not work (and no window!). I reported both problems on day one and nothing was done so when I asked at day two the receptionist said they had bee 'signed off' as completed! I exclaimed that nothing had been done so by day three the extractor fan was working but the workman had left all the rubble, dust & an old 2" screw in the shower tray - so we had to clear up ourselves that evening. The balcony door wouldn't lock for the whole period of our stay and still no apology! On day three we had water coming through the ceiling and dripping off the bathroom door architrave - reported this at reception and was told 'thanks for telling us' - nothing done (although it did stop later) and no apology. Food was small portioned, bland & unimaginative & dining room cramped (went out to eat at one point). The only saving grace was a pleasant waiter (Darren). Most of the staff we encountered were trying to make the best of it but clearly a Hotel not in its heyday! Unlikely to visit again unless very, very cheap to enable us to eat out!

Room Tip: Make sure you face the front (sea/beach) and at least as high as floor 2.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank June Y
Reviewed 11 July 2012

the cameo club from waterloovile (23) of us all found this hotel very good in the following ways.
The rooms were clean , beds clean and comfortable, the food was very good and the service was excellent, infact we thought the waitersand waitresses were on skates their service was so quick.This hotel does not deserve the bad press it has had in the past.Would we go back to this hotel ? YES WE WOULD!!!!! from maureenwap@yahoo.co.uk

Room Tip: try for a twin room at the front for the wonderful sea views!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Maureen W
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My husband and I arrived with a coach party for a seven night stay on the 26th June we found this hotel to be a disgrace we were allocated a room on the third floor the door handle was broken the TV did not work the staff were rude addressing quests as love they were dressed very untidily with large holes in tights etc after two nights I was covered in bites from bed bugs I was told by a staff member that they had a problem with bed bugs we were moved to another room but received no apology in the second room again the lock on the door was broken the bathroom light was not working during my life I have traveled extensively both in the UK and abroad This is the worse hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay in.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple