“carlton hotel sandown isle of wight”
Review of The Carlton Hotel

The Carlton Hotel
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Swansea, United Kingdom
“carlton hotel sandown isle of wight”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Hi all.
The wife and I stayed at this hotel from 05/07/2013 until 08/07/2013. On arrival we were greeted on our coach by a lovely young lady who clearly described the check in procedure and a free refreshment was provided even our luggage was brought in for us.We decided to upgrade to a room with balcony and sea view our room was No 109 on the first floor.This room was excellent extremely clean and with a very nice shower.The staff at this hotel were extremely pleasant polite and very friendly and helpful.It would have been nice to have a small table on the balcony to place your drinks on instead of having to stretch to the floor to pick them up all the time.Thats the good bit now for the bad news The food in the dining hall was amongst the worst we have ever been served the portions were so small one portion of fish was about 3"x2" less than a childs portion the food was,nt very well cooked or presented we had sweetcorn served one night with gravy. vegetables were almost raw I really could go on about the food enough to say,
many guests chose to eat at local cafes.To sum up the Carlton has everything going for it only to be let down badly by it,s terrible food please management do something about it before it,s too late,You have excellent front of house staff, sort out the chefs and cooks.By the way we were with Majestic tours many thanks to our driver John.

Room Tip: choose a room with a balcony it,s well worth the extra few pounds.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ian l

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Hotel is very shabby looking from outside and there are good and bad bits internally. Bedroom was ok but their idea of 'refurbished rooms' are just a lick of paint! Bathroom however was disgusting. Mouldy ceiling, dirty plugholes, very small shower you can hardly move in, very dated and horrible! The only good thing was there was hot water available. Can't fault the staff at the hotel as they are all very nice. The food was quite good but the entertainment was ok if you like bingo and cabaret style singers which I don't! We went with Majestic Coaches and to be honest I wouldn't go back again. It took 8 hours to get there which was horrendous! So out of 4 days booked 2 days were travelling so only 2 actual days to enjoy the Isle. Lovely view from our room on the first floor but again pretty shabby balcony. Overall fairly disappointing to be honest! Like a lot of hotels, serious money needs to be spent to improve it but I fear they have not got it! Will not be going back that's for sure.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and the view was lovely to wake up to and relax on the balcony.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Sandown hotels

Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stayed in the Carlton for 3 nights, on a cheap long weekend break , booked thru' travel style. They provided us with the free ferry ticket, for our car, but everything in the hotel, is geared towards the endless coach parties. No sympathy forthcoming from reception, about their lack of parking facilities- keep feeding that meter ! That is, if your lucky enough to find a space....The hotel is all a bit tired looking. Dated furnishings and even the small portable t.v in the room ,is from the 80's. 3 channels on a good night ! Meal times in the restaurant , are all a bit of a rush, with the coach parties being served first , and a small glass of orange juice is considered a 'starter' . On the plus side : it's got an amazing beach front location ,with golden sands and a pier. Great if you've got the weather- ideal place to stay, if you are looking for a cheap weekend away, and not too bothered about your accommodation.....

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Just spent 4 days here and had a fantastic stay. Had an attic room overlooking the sea. What a fantastic view you get from this hotel. The room was a bit small but your only there to sleep and we had no problems with the water pressure as stated with other reviews. All the staff are very friendly and nothing is too much. Overall the stay was very relaxing and we are looking forward to booking another stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Hampshire
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We were looking for a one night stay at short notice with a reasonable price and we found this hotel on Booking.com, a few days after booking we received the confirmation in the post which also advised us they could book our ferry crossing and after searching I found this to be the cheapest rate. I called and booked with Sophie (who was lovely) and we didn't have to pay until our arrival at the hotel for the stay or the ferry. The hotel itself was lovely, the staff were really friendly, we had a double room on the top floor with an individual seaview balcony. It was gorgeous looking out over the bay. We didn't have food in the hotel but I overheard a few people saying how lovely it was. We ate out in the evening at the Pier across the road and it was amazing! make sure you have an apetite though as the portions are huge. Sandown is a lovely seaside resort with many bars and restaurants and a beautifully kept beach. We went down to the bars down the front and most of them have live music. The only negative thing was the parking, you have to find somewhere along the front and it does charge between 10am and 6pm but a very small niggle. We would definitely return and stay there again.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We have just come back from the Carlton hotel, we had a 3 night break. The hotel was lovely ,staff were brilliant, the food was really nice you get 3 choices every night served really quickly. We had the best steak and potato pie I have ever tasted. Entertainment every night. You must get a balcony room as the view was amazing. If I had to say something against this hotel, I have just had my 45th birthday and I felt like a teenager next to the other guests, so if you are past retirement age you wont feel out of place.

1 Thank tina m
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We arrived at the Hotel which I booked and paid extra for a balcony and Sea View. All the public areas have been upgraded and it looked lovely when we walked in. We did have a problem parking our car even though I have a Disabled Badge. We were given Room 109 a room with a Sea View and Balcony. After looking around the room, it was dirty. There was mould all around the patio window and the catch was broken and it was very difficult to open it. I looked in the drawers and they had a lot of grit (probably sand from a previous occupant). I went into the bathroom and the sealant was broken around the toilet and there were was a horrible wee stain all around the bottom of the toilet. I found long black hairs in the sink. We went to reception and I told Sophie (as I now know her name) and she said she had given us a room with a walk in shower, which is what I requested. I reminded her that I had told her that I was a clean freak and as long as a room was clean, even if it was a bit dated, I would be happy. She did not offer to change our room at that point. I refused to unpack and my husband and I sat in the bar having a drink. I was very upset as I had been looking forward to this mini break and I started to cry. A young lady came over to us and said she would show us another room and would move us if we liked the room. We were then put in Room 229. The room was much cleaner, the bathroom looked as though it had been retiled and the flooring looked new. I felt much happier so we accepted the room and I unpacked. This room had a bath with a shower over it. The shower was fixed, not one you could take down and wash your hair. It worked from the bath taps. That night I tried to take a shower and could not regulate the water, it was cold and I had to have a very quick shower and wash my hair. It was not pleasant. We went to bed that night to find the mattress very lumpy and very uncomfortable. I did not complain again at reception as I did not want them to think that all I did was moan. We were booked in to stay for three nights but we left after only two as I was in absolute agony. All the Staff were very friendly and helpful. I would recommend if you book into this hotel that you ask for a room that has been refurbished as the old rooms are not very nice. Also although there was a television in the room we could only get one channel. All the rest said NO SIGNAL. We were coming back to our room on the first night and a Gentleman asked us what we thought of the Hotel. I told him I was not particularly happy with the room, but the other areas were very good. He said there had been 18 in their party and that 14 had asked to have their rooms changed. He was happy with the room he was eventually given but he had to pay extra. On the second evening when we were waiting for the lift, I heard another gentleman who was coming from the third floor compaining that there was no television reception and that he had reported it to Reception the day before and they had said they would sort it out. When I told Reception that we had no signal I had been told that they knew there was a problem and did not know when it would get sorted out. As it seems I was not the only one to be unhappy, I have decided to write this review. I would not visit the Hotel again. My husband and I went on our own and the Hotel seem to cater mostly for Coach Parties with the elderly and disabled. There is only ONE LIFT in a Hotel that has three floors and around 300 hundred rooms. You can imagine at times, you have to wait a long time for the lift to come and as only four were allowed in the lift at a time as it is very small, it is not really convenient if you are disabled as you spend a long time waiting for the lift. We were supposed to be going to this Hotel on a Turkey and Tinsle Trip in a coach party in early December, I have cancelled our booking with the lady who was organising the trip and will loose £100 deposit I have paid but I could not stay in this Hotel again.
I must emphasise that ALL THE STAFF ARE VERY FRIENDLY, but that does not help if you have a room that you find uncomfortable and have things that you expect to work properly as you have paid for a room with a TV, to find that you don't get it. There is no clock or telephone in the rooms either. For the money we paid I feel it was rather too basic for the price we paid. I know if you go to this Hotel in a Coach Party it does not cost as much as we had to pay as individual visitors and feel they don't care if they loose individual custom as their bread and butter seems to be coach parties. There is entertainment each evening which was nice to find but overall our stay was not a success. I will Add that the food was acceptable.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room witha sea view as the view is excellent. If you go with a Coach Trip, if...
2 Thank Olive C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
Sandringham Hotel
#6 of 29 in Sandown
Royal Pier Hotel
Royal Pier Hotel
#10 of 29 in Sandown

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!