“Good value”

Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Sandown
bristol
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Just back 1st April 2014 from three nights at this hotel. Staff excellent. Double bed in single room clean with plenty of wardrobe space. Bathroom spotless, hot water in shower. As a veggi food poor but, meat/fish eaters not bad. Some people made remarks about food which was waitress served but, then you always get people on an economy break expecting 4* food.

The hotel is in need of TLC but, come on people, this is very good value for money for group bookings. My big gripe, NO FRESH COFFEE but, waitress made sure I had orange juice on table. Yes would return, only if instant is replaced with fresh coffee.
Entertainment as you would expect for older people but, hotel did make an effort . Dinner at 6.30 far too early but, did leave time to explore the wonderful beach.

Room Tip: Rooms other than first floor good.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

we booked a weekend break away to this hotel .when we arrived it looked pretty apart from the parking check in was ok ish. room looked nice and big and views from room were great. went out for something to eat came back to our room and that's when it went down hill we pulled back the cover for the bed and found a rather tired and worn blanket that had seen better days in a dog kennel no quilt and stained and holey sheets. went down stairs to find some one to help and got them changed at 10,30 pm. The draft through the window was drafty and damp patches on lower beams plus partner wacked his head on them. television did not work due to weather. spot light fell off wall and wacked my head at 4.30 am. No bath mat in bath room pubic hairs behind toilet. The night staff were very helpful but when we came down and spoke to Sophie it felt half hearted sorry and she knew about the faults but done nothing about and when we said we want to leave it seamed she did not care that we had been through hell .Breakfast was a nightmare very disfunctional and busy and staff looked stressed .when the breakfast arrive very small and cheap and nasty coffee and the whole breakfast could be better and could count how many beans you had. We had to leave early and book into another hotel. faulty towers would be very proud doubt we will get a refund will never go back

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tinkerbell73593
Sophie F, General Manager at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for your review, however, I do find it slightly different to the actual events.
The way you state that the sheets were not changed until 10.30pm gives the impression that we left it until that time to act on your complaint whereas it is my understanding that it was not until this time that you bought your complaint to our attention.
When you came and spoke to me on Reception in the morning I was both sympathetic and apologetic. The issues with the room is not the normal service we provide and as explained I had already been in contact with our linen providers to instigate an investigation regarding the sheets. I had also spoken to our Housekeeper to start an in house investigation into our procedures as obviously there has been a break down there as well. I care 100% for all of my guests and you stating that I do not care is completely untrue.
I personally gave you the option of moving to an alternate room due to the maintenance issue of the faulty bedside light that you reported and you advised that you would think about it. After breakfast, which you made no comment about any issues, you advised that you were going to check out - you were most apologetic about this fact stating that you felt bad after how nice the hotel was and how nice I personally had been on the telephone and via e-mail.

Once again, I would like to apologise for the issues with the bedroom on check in. As advised, this is not the normal standard offered by The Carlton Hotel.

I can only add that it was never our intention to inconvenience any of our valued guests.

Travellers are raving about these Sandown hotels

Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

We could not fault the professionalism, friendliness and helpfulness of the hotel !
Our twin room was bright and clean. We had a wonderful long weekend here and would surely come back.

But ...
- our bathroom had very grimy rings round the taps
- the extraction fan was not working in the bathroom
- We felt very sorry for the serving staff at meal time - they had to serve us with the floors being wet through from condensation and water dripping
- maybe this is just our taste buds but we both found the coffee awful (only instant coffee even from the bar and at meals) and the tea was only marginally better
- the noise from the entertainment was as loud in our room as in the bar and no sleep was possible until that stopped

Despite the buts we enjoyed our stay! Sitting on the balcony just across the road from the beach was simply wonderful!!!!

Room Tip: First floor rooms above the bar are very noisy !!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Margret_H_B
Eye, Suffolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Trying out hotel before bringing our bowls club here next year, we were made very welcome. The general feel is of a comfortable hotel, the bed was lovely and the room was very clean, with a wonderful view and balcony. The food is basic but tasty especially the breakfast.

Room Tip: We were shown whole range of rooms, and all were reasonable.Rooms with balcony have a stunning sunri...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Christine B
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

I sadly could not attend my usual hotel so I had to move. This was one of the closest so I gave it a go, it was one of the worse hotels iv ever stayed, it was very cold and got colder throughout the night, the toilet bathroom smelt of damp stale water. The telly hardly worked with the channels fuzzing every minute. Just very cold and unwelcoming, it might just be me that I'm spoiled at my usual hotel, this was also very expensive as they didn't have any single rooms so had to charge me for a double.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Mackiemarkham
Neath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel was really very good tho the rooms a bit small, but clean and comfortable. Food was reasonable and service excellent. We were on a turkey and tinsel weekend and the staff played the game very well. all in all an enjoyable weekend and recommend this hotel to all.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mcjeep
Margate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

We had a bad journey due to our coach breaking down and stuck on the ferry so consequently did not arrive until late after other travel arrangements had been made. Our cases turned up late so when we arrived at the hotel we could not change or freshen up but were checked in very swiftly and easily at the front desk and went straight into dinner. First impression of our room was a fantastic view overlooking the sea with a nice balcony but stained carpets,no loo brush and scaled kettle was not too brilliant. My bed was on a very old and tired mattress and very sqeakey and uncomfortable. the soundproofing was poor as next doors TV was blaring away at mega decibels and I had to ask for it to be turned right down. The food was adequate and usually three choices. The breakfast was good. Our waiter Kyle paid good attention to our club party and was quick and polite. The Christmas dinner as this was a turkey and tinsel themed holiday was ok. The xmas theme itself was lacking sadly in xmas spirit but a special mention to Richard who worked hard to keep it all going and was a real multi tasker. The entertainment was typical with bingo and a singer it was ok. Father Christmas was a coach driver who was asked to do the job at the last minute and he had an ill fitting open jacket with no hat and no beard. HO HO HO NOT.The best bit about this hotel is location location location and at the end of the day you get what you pay for. Would I stay here again !!!!!!! probably not.

Room Tip: choose a room front facing with a balcony. 238 was near the pier.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nick N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
Sandringham Hotel
#17 of 31 in Sandown
The Wight
The Wight
#6 of 31 in Sandown

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!