“Can't fault it”

Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
London, United Kingdom
“Can't fault it”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a nice quiet friendly hotel for a good price then you cannot do better than the Carlton at Sandown

Rooms are basic but spotlessly clean, the food is basic but well cooked and tasty, the staff were friendly and accommodating and they genuinely could not do enough to make our stay a pleasant one. 2 faults- the bar area could benefit with replacing a couple of blown double glazed panels and please replace the toilet tissue dispenser in the loo to take a normal toilet roll - but other than this - cant find any faults!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Copperwasher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed here last June for 3 nights with my best friend and I had a lovely stay!
Sandown is a very nice place to stay for calm and rest and to enjoy the lovely beach, for me the town is one of the best place on the lovely Isle of wight.
The hotel was very good value for the price I paid, the staff was nice in particular Michelle and the barman and the Reception staff.
I've booked à sea view room,the view was just amazing, overlooking the golden sand beach.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cedric465
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just returned after spending the weekend there for my husband's 60 th birthday with Leisurtime. Was a bit sceptical to say the least after reading the negative reviews.........boy what a surprise I had. Our room was spacious, bedding and towels spotless, shower excellent with plenty of hot water, tea and coffee facilities and flat screen tv....what more do you want !!!!! Oh and the pillows were to die for!! Breakfast was plentiful as was the evening meal where you had three choices, admittedly it was basic food but was enjoyable. Entertainment was really good....bingo, then a singer, bar prices was reasonable compared to other bars in the area. All staff were courteous, helpful and very accommodating. The hotel being opposite the beach also was a bonus. Wildefinitely be returning in the future. WELL DONE THE CARLTON ISLE OF WIGHT SANDOWN.

Room Tip: My tip would be the rooms at the front of the hotel have sea views, balcony and are bigger.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LARKY24
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Have just returned from a 4 night break at the hotel. The location is great, right on the beach but the staff are fighting a losing battle. They work really hard especially the dining room staff. Rooms are cramped, particularly bathrooms. A large person would not have been able to close the door and sit on the loo in Room 321. Showers on 3rd floor have no pressure therefore water dribbles out. Our driver had mushrooms and roots 2 ft long growing from his ceiling!! Really, I saw the photos. Corridors are a maze, found one lady almost in tears who couldn't find her room. The hotel is geared for coach parties, predominantly elderly yet no disability access at front of hotel. Has one lift that holds only 4 people. Several coaches arrived together and although staff tried,booking in was a nightmare. Queue for lift was 10 deep and tempers were beginning to fray. The food was frequently inedible although breakfast was ok. Marmalade was good. Tinned vegetable and watered down soup. No table cloths, cramped dining room was so noisy, impossible to have a conversation during dinner. Entertainment was bingo followed by dance music. We paid extra and moved to a room at front of hotel with a balcony which was better than room at the back but balcony not very pretty. Grotty chairs and rubber grid matting.

Room Tip: Must have a room at front of hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank 708cherry

Travellers are raving about these Sandown hotels

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I don't know what's wrong with the people with negative comments. Today is my last night here been here for 2 nights with my wife and little one. Before here I spend a night in southampton, was on my way from their to here and got a call from reception sorry forgot his name only remember he is from liechfield, Birmingham my town.he call me and apologise that they are fully booked and may only have a twin room and if I don't want can book another hotel for me or discounted the price, I said let me reach and we decide. We reach a bit late around 1830 and bcoz of no show find a double room. Weather was not as good as I was expecting.
Staff was excellent and my room by the seaside was super and clean with no marks in toilets.
Did not find time to buy anything from the hotel or dine dine or breakfast. Overall was a lovely stay and would highly recommend to anyone.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Pravas007
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Would not recommend this hotel to anyone .Poor quality of food every thing was frozen not fresh service was very slow, entertainment wasn't much better .The only good about this holiday is our sea view room and the great weather.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have sea view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank joan415
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Tiny double room on the third floor, we had a balcony although it wasn't very attractive, with rubber matting and green plastic chairs, and one metal bar separating ours from next doors. Couldn't use the shower as it was just a hose from the bath tub taps, couldn't regulate the temperature and it lost pressure. Daily, cleaners started knocking on our doors to get in at 8.30 a.m. A bit early as we had been at the IOW festival and they knew this. No door hangers to say "do not disturb" very dated hotel, long narrow corridors and paper thin walls, we could easily hear neighbours on both sides talking, (arguing lol), a bit embarrassing really, especially when they joined us on the balcony. Bed was comfy, but a very small double and the grottiest bobbly green blankets which looked ancient and had marks on, though i think they were clean they weren't at all nice. We had some nice weather, but this made the room far too hot, unless we opened the door onto the balcony we couldn't cool down and we didnt want to sleep with the door open, especially as the neighbours were only one metal bar away from us. I wouldn't stay here again, I think 3stars is well over rating this hotel, only a 2star. Staff were very friendly though, that was a big plus, but not worth

Room Tip: Ask for a double on the first or second floors, definitely not the third, tiny and balconys too clos...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lizzy1f
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
Sandringham Hotel
#6 of 29 in Sandown
Royal Pier Hotel
Royal Pier Hotel
#10 of 29 in Sandown

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!