“Food from the freezer”

Ranked #28 of 30 Sandown B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Food from the freezer”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Just had a 3 day New Years break at Malvern hotel, while we knew the hotel was tired, our ground floor room was very clean with a comfortable bed... The shower was a bit pathetic . The staff were very nice. The food was terrible, we were asked what choice of dinner we wanted in the morning and I think they went to a local supermarket and raided the freezer cabinets, as we had frozen potatoes, frozen mixed veg 3 nights New Year's Eve gala meal was a choice of salad ,cottage pie ( from the freezer) or a piece of chicken with frozen veg.... And jam rolly-poly for sweet. Must say at this point breakfast was ok, a choice of toast and cereal, orange juice and full English, which was lovely.
Entertainment was ok on 30th and 31st dec, but newyears day was none existent . Would not reccommend ...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sandy H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

My sister and her husband having just spent a few days at the Malvern Hotel Sandown I.O.W.were shocked and disgusted by the following: Room 12 mould behind the bed down to the floor,inadequate warm bedding,very old furniture not fit for use,1 knife & fork for starter and main course,Staff taking food to tables wore Green Nail varnish(which could chip and contaminate food) Chipped and badly worn unhygienic table mats.
More serious issue was the fact that a high number of guests tripped on a sloping floor,resulting in one female guest going through a glass door and in need of urgent medical attention! Almost for certain door was not fitted with the legal requirement of Toughened Glass/Safety glass BS56206 that should be in all `Critical Locations' (ie glass doors and windows lower than800mm from floor level).
They have comlplained to the coach company who use this hotel and to I.O.W.Enviromental Agency today 31.12.13 and awaiting a reply.
This Hotel (of sorts) is not fit for purpose.

Room Tip: Not Applicable
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jacqueline S H

Travellers are raving about these Sandown hotels

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I was shocked to hear what an upsetting experience my parents had at The Malvern Hotel. They went on a coach trip and are both in their late 70's. The place was very clean, albeit dated and very cluttered with ornaments,etc, the food basic but fine. The drinks were cheap. On day 2, they went to leave their room, but the yale lock had dropped and locked and they were trapped. They tried for half an hour to fiddle with the lock, which they believe had been put on upside down, but they were unable to get out. They did start to panic a little, then realised there was a fire escape which took them down an external staircase. They both left the room and told the owner what had happened. Instead of apologising and checking they were ok, he went to look and then promptly came back very angry, shouted and told my parents off as he could not get into the room and told them that one of them should have stayed in the room and now he had to get a locksmith out! No apology for the anxiety that this had caused or any acknowledgement that they had been locked in their room due to a dodgy lock that had been incorrectly fitted! Lucky for him there hadn't been a fire and they couldn't escape! My Mum was really upset and explained they had both tried everything to get out and ok, maybe one of them could have stayed in the room, but after half an hour, I can absolutely understand their relief at finding a way out! As if it wasn't enough that he had shouted at them about that, he then proceeded to be really angry again in front of everyone in the restaurant later that night, saying that they had cost him £120 for a locksmith etc. etc. How rude and arrogant, taking no ownership for his part in it all. My Mum and Dad are far too gentle, old school and dignified to make a fuss. My Mum tried to stand up for themselves, but this man was really nasty and they felt intimidated and humiliated. Even the coach driver who was having dinner with them when he came in, said there had been similar complaints about this man. They said the coach driver was lovely, but if it were my coach company I would not allow the owner to speak to my guests like that and would be very clear about what I would expect in terms of customer service if I were to continue putting business his way.. I definitely would have stood up for my customers and not simply accepted the way that man spoke to my parents. I feel very strongly that my parents had this stress, through no fault of their own. If you want to risk being humiliated by someone who is clearly very arrogant, impatient, with no regard for customers, then stay at the Malvern Hotel IOW....however, if you value your dignity and would prefer a nice, relaxed stay, with hotel owners who value you and your custom....then don't.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank siddy71
Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

If you are looking for a a good clean hotel ,nice staff ,a comfortable very clean bed with top of the range pillows ,a home cooked meal with very high standards ,and choice ,give this hotel a try ,alright the decor perhaps needs sorting out but the food and bed are more important to me than the decoration .it was with just go holidays last weekend that we found ourselves in the Malvern Hotel ,a cheap and cheerful break ,we did get our moneys worth at this hotel I must say we had a lovely break thanks to the Malvern ,we have had a lot worse service in many other hotels ,so give them a try

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EB1953
needingworth
Reviewed 5 November 2013

First impressions weren't good, but after settling in we found that we prejudged the hotel, yes it needs some refurbishing, too many pictures, too many ornaments, carpets worn but the bedrooms were warm, bed linen spotless as was the bathroom food was excellent and plentiful staff were more than helpful and very obliging and the entertainment was first class. I think that after some positive refurbishment this could be a nice hotel to which I would return

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
england
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Don't expect to much from this hotel although the food in general was acceptable our coach driver ate out every night but in all honestly it was not that bad. there is no lift and the stairs are rather steep and the décor needed doing from top to bottom but everywhere was clean. the bar was very cheap but you had to ring a bell to get service that was annoying, the waitresses were polite and pleasant but the owners were never seen. We had three different prices for the same holiday so I suggest you shop around.

Room Tip: three floors with no lift
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank canveyboy
Brixham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We booked this as a long weekend through Just go Holidays. On arrival we were greeted by a happy friendly member of staff, The rooms were clean and comfortable, the décor i would say was a bit tired and needs a coat of revamp but like i said before it was clean and comfortable, the bar was very cheap, the meals were good for the price we paid. We were offered a packed lunch at a cost of £3, very good value . a drink, sandwich, crisps, kit kat, banana and small sponge cake. On departure the manager was at the door to wave us goodbye.( nice old fashioned touch )We would go back to this Hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family