“Average at best!”

Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Average at best!”
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I have just returned from a 5 day stay at this hotel with my elderly mother and regretfully have more negatives than positives to say about the hotel. There are a lot of statirs which was awkward for my elderly mum. You expect stairs to the bedroom but there were two particularky steep stairs outside of our room that my mum struggled with and there were also stairs to the dining room. We didin't find out until we got home that there was an outside patio area as the staff gave us no information about facilites on our arrival and the patio was accessible from a side entrance that was not visible or accessible from the front of the hotel. I dont know if we were just unlicky and had the smallest room in the hotel but the bathroom was so tiny we had to sit on the toilet sideways and the cold tap in our room did not work so we had to clean our teeth with hot water and buy bottled water to fil the kettle. There were 2 set meal times 8.30am and 6.30pm and whilst I can see the benefits to the hotel for staffing purposes it was a bit like school dinners the way we were all herding into the dining room at set times. On the bright side the breakfasts were very nice, the best bit about the hotel. The evening meals were okay if you are happy with tinned and frozen food but there was a fair selection so we often opted for the salad or jacket potatoes. Staff were friendly when apporached but it would have been useful if they had given us a quick ten minute briefing on arrival and advised us about the available facilities, how to get to the beach, pier etc. Average at best but I wouldn't risk a repeat visit.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank akaesmerelda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2011

After 9 hours on the coach we arrived and were allocated room 4....carpet stained, toilet system hanging off the wall and needing holding on the wall in order to flush. Bedding clean. Door left unlocked after cleaning, open to all and sundry!
Food served cold and very little choice. Entertainment zero merely piped music. Proprietors professed to not speaking English and therefore any queries, complaints etc met with shrug of the shoulders.
Coach Driver not allocated a room in the hotel and therefore had to find accommodation in various hotels allocated but then had to go each day to Channelview for his meals.
Coach driver excellent making excursions very good.
We would unfortunately have to agree with others on our coach that this hotel was not satisfactory and did not live up to the specifications of the booking.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Paul H

Travellers are raving about these Sandown hotels

kings lynn
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We went on a coach trip from Mon to Fri, what a lovely Island, lovely people, the hotel spoilt the trip, breakfast was not too bad , but the evning meals were very bad, every thing was out of a deep freeze, frozen vegetables with each meal the fish and chips were even frozen ready made meals, i must say that the bedroom was small but clean, the trip was saved by the great coach driver from the I.O.W. coach company and the tour rep, if you are in Sandown pop into the Roxy restaurant just two mins from that hotel we had the mushroom pasta, cooked to order and fresh food, something you will not get at the Channel view

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank KingsLynnPiker
lymm
Reviewed 29 August 2011

my 4 year old son and I went to the channel view hotel in sandown on the 10th august for 4 nights/ 5 days with national holidays on a coach trip
it was amazing!! i was very worried when i read previous reviews, but to my delight i was extremley pleased! the hotel was a quick 2 minute walk to the beach- there are more a few ways to get to the beach! if you turn right at the end of the road the road down to the beach is very steap! but if you turn left the road is much much easier!

we both loved every second of the holiday!
isle of wight is a lovely place!

i am going to waffle on abit now lol
the holiday included trips out, we arrived on the wednesday so we just went to the beach and had a walk and then went back for the evening meal, on the thursday we went to shanklin, isle of wight pearl centre and the needles- alum bay.
shanklin is a lovely place, we did get abit bored at the isle of wight pearl because im only 26 and my son is 4 so it didnt really appeal to use but everyone else on the coach loved it. the needles is fantastic!! its great for all ages! and the prices are very very good!!
o0n the friday we went to godshill- which was beautiful! there was a model village and lots of shops and LOTS of places to get tea and cakes. we also went up to cowes! i can not tell you how amazing it was! we got offered the chance to go on a cruise from cowes to portsmouth ( no docking) and then back to cowes! it was £14.99 each but my son was free :-) it was amazing!! it was the last day of cowes week so we saw all the yachts that were involved! we also saw where the mary rose sank, we saw hms arkroyal, there were lots of navy ships docked in portsmouth which was fantastic to see! the guide on the cruise told us so much about the surrounding area he was also very funny!! it was worth the £14.99!! so if you get offered the chance to go then please go on it! but when you get onto the boat go up to the very top of the boat! you see more and there was only about 6 of us up there! whereas the lower decks were very full!
if you dont want to go on the cruise then you can go for a walk around cowes.
they were all of the tours! they were all fantastic! and all included in the cost of the holiday- apart from the cruise.
saturday is classes as the 'free' day, so we decided to go for a walk on the beach to find fossils ( you will always find a fossil!) we then walked to dinosaur isle- about 25 minute walk from the hotel- excellent value for money again, great for kids. we then got on the bus and went to ryde and we went on the hovercraft to portsmouth and stayed there for an hour and came back! a ride on the hovercraft is £11.50 return and again kids are free :-).

right the hotel! I requested a high up room with a sea view, the view was perfect :-) i could still see the sea when I was lay on my bed! we had a twin room with ensuite, the room was cleaned every single day! you also get free tea and coffee in the rooms which are replenised again every day! if you run out you can go to reception and get more!
DO NOT TAKE TOWELS! i took lots of towels and didnt need them! the hotel provide towels and will provide clean towels once they have been used ( you have to put the towels in the bath to show the cleaners they need replacing).
there was entertainment every night! and good entertainment! there is a bar which is very reasonable! and also as a very big added bonus the staff gave my son free drinks!!

THE FOOD!!
WOW!!
If you dont mind still reading I will tell you how perfect the food was!
the evening meals were wonderful! every night was a 3 course meal! the starter you have a choice of 3! the mains were a choice of 5!! and one of those are always vegetarian! and the dessert you get a choice of 3! the portions sizes are perfect! but on the first night my on was given the same amout of food as me! so we did waste some but on request the staff went out of there way and provided my son with his very own childs menu ( they dont usually have a childs menu and my son was the only child there) my sons meals were different every night! my meals were fantastic!!
the breakfasts were wonderful! you get fruit juice- either apple or orange and also a pot of tea or coffee, but you also have a rack of toast EACH! with a selection of jams and marmalade. there was a choice of cereals- cornflakes, porridge, weetabix or prunes, and then there was the main part of the breakfast! I had a full english every day!! you could choose from a full english or a vegetarian full english, scrambled eggs on toast, beans on toast or boiled eggs with toast! you will not go hungry!!
the thing i really liked was the tables! sounds stupid but they tables have your name on it! so the whole of your party can sit together and the best thing is, is that that tables is your for the entire holiday! which we found perfect because my son knew every night and morning where we were going to be sat.
the meals have to be ordered- which i really liked because we knew what we would be eating so we didnt eat too much at lunch, the evening meal is ordered that morning at breakfast and at the evening meal you order your breakfast for the next day.

as for national holidays I couldnt have been more pleased!! it was the first coach trip we have been on and we were both so happy! our driver was called Dennis and he was wonderful! thank you Dennis :-)

I can honestly say out of all the holidays we have been on this was the BEST holiday! we are going back next year!

also thankyou to the staff at the channel view hotel, they were so nice to us! esp my son!
the young lad who served in the top dining room where we were sat worked so hard! he served bout 12 tables on his own every day! and he was ever so polite! and he ALWAYS had a smile on his face!

sorry if i have waffled on abit but i could waffle on more because the holiday was that good!!
if you want to get in touch with me and ask me any questions i will happily answer them!

Thank you to all the lovely people who were on the trip with us, we were the youngest ones there and everyone went out of their way to be nice to us! my son got about 10 gifts and they also filled a money box for him!

lovely bunch of people, lovely holiday! amazing time!!

HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!! :-) :-)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank jill t
gateshead
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Just returned from a great trip to this hotel with National Coach Holidays. Although dated the hotel was very clean and staff very helpful. We had read some poor reviews concerning the food but we were mare than happy with the variety and standard. There was a good choice of main meal and although I'm quite picky about my food I always found something I liked. Our coach driver Nigel was great with nothing to much trouble. For the price we paid it was an avsolute bargain.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janandroly
London
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Clean and tidy room with nice service . Hotel management were very supportive in terms of service and hospitality. Would recommend anyone. Keep it up CHANNEL VIEW.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank robert_robo
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We stayed at the hotel the last week in July, the rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. the bathroom was basic, (however I understand that they are being refubished this winter). The dining room staff were brilliant and the meals were excellent.
The entertainment in the evening was very good and we didn't venture out of the hotel. The manangement couldn't do enough to help and nothing was too much trouble. Thank you for a lovely holiday and we will come and stay with you again

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dianeljb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Channel View Hotel
#14 of 29 in Sandown
Trouville Hotel
Trouville Hotel
#4 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Channel View Hotel? Share your experiences!