Stayed here on a Shearings holiday 4th March 2013 for 5 days.
Had £25 vouchers for drinks per evening per person. Pleasant trips. Good knowledgeable drivers who were very helpful also.
Generally speaking (despite all the negative comment below) I would recommend this hotel as it is in pleasant grounds, has character, the food is very good and would be ok for a budget short break. However, if entertainment is an important part of your holiday, go elsewhere (see comments below).
Positive and negative points are as follows:-
1.Suffering with claustrophobia/anxiety, I had a special request of a spacious room with window that opened - which I paid double for. This was granted - I had a quiet room overlooking the gardens with a large top to bottom window/door that did open - so I was comfortable. And, it was on the ground floor so I didn't have to go up flights of stairs.
2. I was seated in a quiet part of the restaurant (table 13a) by two lovely ladies, so wasn't uncomfortable their either ie in middle of restaurant or sat with couples (which another single lady traveller was, which made her uncomfortable).
3. The food menu had a good variety to suit all tastes and was of a good standard (I enjoy my food!) - it was 3 course waiter service.
4. Several comfortable, airy and clean lounge areas to sit at leisure.
1. The waiter I had made me feel uncomfortable - he didn't smile, attempt to make any conversation with me (other than asking what food I wanted) or go out of his way at all to make me feel welcome.
2. The entertainment was an absolute joke.
Day 1 was ok - a female vocalist - nothing special.
Day 2 was good - a guy who worked hard being a comic, singer, impressionist.
Day 3 - appauling! - two young girls who had no idea how to entertain. One of them was I'd say there just to 'practise' for a competition the next day. She sang all modern songs with modern artists (I'm late forties and didn't know or like the music - most people were elderly).
Whilst she was singer her colleague/friend just stood their in a glittery outfit waving her arms, which she continued to do all evening (apart from when doing the bingo when she spoke as if we were all imbociles ie very slow make very silly comments). People left the room in droves.
Day 3 - A guy who was a karaoke type singer. He didn't even sing all evening, he seemed to flag and he also started just to wave him arms around.
Thankfully the people in the room were able to make their own entertainment.
Room - was a thick wad of hair in the plughole.
- the toilet seat was crooked and very wobbly (not good if you were elderly and it did
pinch my bum!)
- A maid was clearing my room - when she left (was called by a colleague) I went in the bathroom. However, she returned without knocking and I'm on the toilet! Not impressed!
- There were cobwebs in the corner of my room.
- Furniture very dated with some drawers to the dressing table being broken.
- There was a large piece of wooden harboard below the mattress above the beds base.
- The brochures table in reception was very dusty/dirty. The white table cloth on it looked as it it had never been washed and there were some blue plastic gloves at the back of it when I looked.
As I said, it was a budget break so I didn't expect too much.
Many of the above are small problems that could very easily be rectified for the comfort of forthcoming clients of the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bay Broadway park is a former Victorian mansion house, once home to a wealthy entrepreneur. Today this handsome hotel retains many of its original features and is set within four acres of picturesque grounds. The gardens are home to a variety of wildlife including rare Isle of Wight Red Squirrels, foxes and badgers. This is the perfect setting to get away and relax and you are always assured of a warm welcome. The hotel has three comfortable lounges and a recently refurbished ballroom in which to enjoy the regular evening entertainment. The leisure facilities include an outdoor swimming pool (open from May to September) and a snooker room and there is also parking within the grounds. Whilst here you are sure to enjoy the tranquillity of the setting but it is just a 15 minute walk to the town centre and seafront where there is plenty to see and do.Please note all prices quoted for Bay Broadway Park Hotel include free ferry to and from the Isle of Wight. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Bay Broadway Park Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bay Broadway Park Hotel Sandown, Isle Of Wight