“Ideal for a budget short break”

Bay Broadway Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Ideal for a budget short break”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Stayed here on a Shearings holiday 4th March 2013 for 5 days.
Had £25 vouchers for drinks per evening per person. Pleasant trips. Good knowledgeable drivers who were very helpful also.

Generally speaking (despite all the negative comment below) I would recommend this hotel as it is in pleasant grounds, has character, the food is very good and would be ok for a budget short break. However, if entertainment is an important part of your holiday, go elsewhere (see comments below).

Positive and negative points are as follows:-

POSITIVE

1.Suffering with claustrophobia/anxiety, I had a special request of a spacious room with window that opened - which I paid double for. This was granted - I had a quiet room overlooking the gardens with a large top to bottom window/door that did open - so I was comfortable. And, it was on the ground floor so I didn't have to go up flights of stairs.

2. I was seated in a quiet part of the restaurant (table 13a) by two lovely ladies, so wasn't uncomfortable their either ie in middle of restaurant or sat with couples (which another single lady traveller was, which made her uncomfortable).

3. The food menu had a good variety to suit all tastes and was of a good standard (I enjoy my food!) - it was 3 course waiter service.

4. Several comfortable, airy and clean lounge areas to sit at leisure.

NEGATIVE

1. The waiter I had made me feel uncomfortable - he didn't smile, attempt to make any conversation with me (other than asking what food I wanted) or go out of his way at all to make me feel welcome.
2. The entertainment was an absolute joke.
Day 1 was ok - a female vocalist - nothing special.
Day 2 was good - a guy who worked hard being a comic, singer, impressionist.
Day 3 - appauling! - two young girls who had no idea how to entertain. One of them was I'd say there just to 'practise' for a competition the next day. She sang all modern songs with modern artists (I'm late forties and didn't know or like the music - most people were elderly).
Whilst she was singer her colleague/friend just stood their in a glittery outfit waving her arms, which she continued to do all evening (apart from when doing the bingo when she spoke as if we were all imbociles ie very slow make very silly comments). People left the room in droves.
Day 3 - A guy who was a karaoke type singer. He didn't even sing all evening, he seemed to flag and he also started just to wave him arms around.
Thankfully the people in the room were able to make their own entertainment.

Room - was a thick wad of hair in the plughole.
- the toilet seat was crooked and very wobbly (not good if you were elderly and it did
pinch my bum!)
- A maid was clearing my room - when she left (was called by a colleague) I went in the bathroom. However, she returned without knocking and I'm on the toilet! Not impressed!
- There were cobwebs in the corner of my room.
- Furniture very dated with some drawers to the dressing table being broken.
- There was a large piece of wooden harboard below the mattress above the beds base.
- The brochures table in reception was very dusty/dirty. The white table cloth on it looked as it it had never been washed and there were some blue plastic gloves at the back of it when I looked.

As I said, it was a budget break so I didn't expect too much.

Many of the above are small problems that could very easily be rectified for the comfort of forthcoming clients of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
12 Thank bubblychick51
gmbroadwaypark, General Manager at Bay Broadway Park Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay with us. I have noted points that you have raised. Sorry to read that the entertainment was not to your liking, we try and cater for all tastes.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Montgomery, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Enjoyed our break in general.Dont expect a 5 star hotel..2/3 star I think.

Positives.
Good range of food and enjoyable at all times
Service very good
Waiting staff very good.
Nice enough location
Lovely soft towels
Friendly staff

Negatives
Mildew on window nets & curtains
Carpets threadbare, shrunken in our room 124
Dirty grout in bathroom,poor bath seal,shower hot & cold,rusty grab rail to shower, grubby, vinyl floor tatty.
No duvets, heavy blankets, very soft unsupportive mattresses and pillows on beds
Room storage cupboards like 1980,s MFI style, edging strips missing tatty.
Very cold link corridor to our block to room 124
Rooms not very sound proof
Tv had only 5 channels and again old style portable tv.
Drinks very expensive
Entertainment good on 2 nights , ("Sandra" & the young girl dancer) poor on other 2.
Decor "tired" and tatty.
Hotel needs updating.

Could be a nice hotel with some investment.

Room Tip: Pick a room that has been renovated.Most are 1980,s style.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andy M
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. We are gradually updating some of our bedrooms on a refurbishment programme which is an ongoing project. We do not claim to be a 5 star hotel which is reflected in the price that you paid for your stay with us, however we do try to deliver excellent customer service for all our guests so that they enjoy their stay.
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2013

This was our first trip with Shearings and this hotel is owned by them. We cannot fault any of the organisation for travelling to and from the hotel and the driver of your coach is also your guide and, as others, we found ours (Garry) to be extremely helpful, funny and full of local knowledge. Our four night break was fantastic value for money and included four drinks per person each night and two included excursions - great! We were astounded by the hotel's efficient and fast check-in. Four coaches (200 people approx.) turned up almost altogether and yet we got or keys straight away. The restaurant is OK, but you only have a 1.25 hour time slot, which is a bit limiting and the food, whilst 3 choices and usually hot, was a little like school dinners and was also served very quickly, so you were out of the dining room within 20 minutes or so. I'm not complaining, as the food was included but, were I going individually, I would have eaten out, as dining in the hotel is purely a functional experience. Our bedroom was large and warm enough, but in need of refurbishment. Some of the carpet, in the general public areas in particular, was threadbare and I have to say I noticed that it wasn't being vacuumed. The hotel needs money spent on it. The staff were all excellent, with the exception of the little fair-haired miss behind the bar. Lucas and the dark-haired, bespectacled barmaid were fabulous, but the other girl was sullen and rude. She made me wait (knowing I was there) for a couple of minutes at the bar, whilst she sorted glasses. I had enough and said "could I have some ice please" and she retorted with a very moody "moment!". I never saw her smile and only heard her arguing with her colleague. Our Hungarian waiter was charming and, as I said, all the other staff were friendly and helpful and that alone would bring us back. Entertainment was good, especially Simon Howard, who was very funny and provided us with a full 3 hours entertainment (singing and making jokes). The other performers, on the other evenings, were entertaining as well as being friendly and a good laugh. Had the hotel been more up-to-date and cleaner, it would have got a 4 rating from me, but, sadly, it needs some work. Thank you to our driver, Garry, and to all but one of the lovely staff at The Broadway Park.

Room Tip: I believe there is a newer section of bedrooms at the hotel, so maybe a good idea to try one there...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EtoileSanderstead
Thank you for your reveiw, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, I have noted the points that you have raised and shall deal with them accordingly.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

just returned from this hotel the hotel itsself needs updating rooms pretty basic but however it was a good price meals good staff cant do enough for you. we booked with sheerings as it was our first time with them it wont be our last.well organised. but the coach driver steve was a good driver give us good information about the island. but we fond him quite rude would walk past you no hello completly ignored us. went withowt guests on the trip to the waltzing waters because he decided to leave at 1 15 instead of the said time 1 30. he was very aragant.the hotel could also do with a dam good cleaning.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 411valerie
gmbroadwaypark, General Manager at Bay Broadway Park Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
I was glad to read that you enjoyed your first trip with Shearings and you were made to feel welcome. Do return and visit us again.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

The staff were very good especially our waitress the room was dirty carpet needs replacing the bathroom was dirty no shower curtains and to fill the bath you had to run the water through the shower ( but there was no way I would use the bath!!! )its a shame the building is lovely but it needs a lot of work done.Also the fire doors were wedged open.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank IMPORTANT186298
I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us, we are gradually upgrading some of the bedrooms which will make a great improvement. I am glad that all the staff made you welcome.
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

This hotels rooms Are very dirty and need a complete makeover. The bath room was disgusting and filthy. Room 208. The beds were uncomfortable with ripped headboard. Car park too small had to park away from hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
8 Thank ADW1954
I was disppointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do not have any record of you reporting to reception that you were not satisfied with your accommodation, if you had we would have been able to offer to you an alternative room and address the issues regarding the cleanliness.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

just spent a weekend here and have to say I felt this hotel needs a little updating. In places it is shabby and just plain dirty in places. Our room could have done with redecorating and the bed wasn't the most comfortable. However, the staff were very friendly and helpful, especially our waitress. The food was good and the entertainment..... well interesting I should say! With a little bit of extra cleaning and a lick of paint it would be a lot better

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ann F
Thank you for your review, we are gradually re-furbishing some of our bedrooms which is an ongoing process with 104 bderooms. I shall investigate the other matters that you raised.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
Melville Hall Hotel
#4 of 29 in Sandown
The Clifton
The Clifton
#2 of 52 in Shanklin

Been to Bay Broadway Park Hotel? Share your experiences!