“Lovely Hotel, good food, friendly staff”
Review of Bayshore Hotel

Bayshore Hotel
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Lancashire UK
“Lovely Hotel, good food, friendly staff”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Went with Alfa coaches (though in a Greyway coach). Lovely room, comfortable beds, good food and reasonable bar prices. Staff were very helpful - entertainment was laid back. Meals good and if you wanted something different to the menu they did their best to help.

Room Tip: Request a bath - rooms are bigger
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank KaraokeQueen

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I visited the bayshore hotel a few weeks ago over the easter weekend with my boyfriend and his parents. We travelled down with alfa coaches and our driver ian was great:) Admittedly it took us a while to get to our destination with being from stoke-on-trent but even though we got to the hotel after tea time the lovely manager let us eat asap. Our room was large, clean, warm and tidy with a fantastic sea view:) The staff were friendly yet professional. To be honest I was sad to come home:( I would deffinately visit the bayshore again.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a room with a sea view- it will be worth it:)
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank andreajonesfox
huddersfield
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Just returned from a six night break at this hotel. This was our first holiday with ALFA and we were not disappointed.Our room 102 was very spacious and comfortable with a lovely bay window sea view,and nice bed and furniture.Dining room quite nice with reasonable food and ,very willing staff.Entertainment average ,but a very enjoyable nostalgia night on friday evening.Would certainly recommend this hotel ,and booking a sea view room
would certainly enhance your holiday.

Room Tip: Bay window room will add a little extra to your vacation
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ianandchristina
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

the location is very good, just opposite the pier - good for family holiday. Rooms are clean and well maintained. It's actually better than the 2 star rating it has. We went on a rainy day and made full use of the table tennis, bar and the tv lounge - there's enough to keep you occupied even if the weather too bad to go out. The staff is very helpful and would do anything to make your stay enjoyable. I rate this hotel 4/5 just because the waiter during breakfast was a bit rude otherwise its a perfect 5/5.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank czer
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We arrived to the bayshore just in time for dinner. Myself and my husband were excited about our holiday and couldn't wait to get settled into our room. We checked in and proceeded to the dining room when we were greeted and seated by the hungarian manager. The food was of a good quality and there was always a good choice on the menu and also served in an efficient and friendly way by our waitress. The fish cooked to perfection and salad always fresh and crisp.
The weather wasn't so great and was rather wet and windy which made the trips not so enjoyable. The entertainment good especially the nostalgia night. Jana on the bar is such a lovely sweet girl with very funny bingo phrases. She really does try to include all.
Our room was a seaview which was opposite the pier and the town centre is a stone throw away where there are lots of lovely gift shops and cafes. Thank you for a lovely stay

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view room. It is worth the money.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BrendaS863
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Booked on the off-chance. Room seemed a bit travelodgey but we did not pay a huge amount so hey ho, there you go. We do a lot of hill-walking so wanted an early night (plus, there isn't a great deal to do in the area in the evening) and the noise in our room was absolutely deafening from downstairs. We let it go the first night but by then, we had had enough anyway - cleaners bang around in the morning, children run riot - there is no respect given as a guest or as someone who is trying to get to sleep. Our towels were cleaned, room was clean, breakfast was just a plateful of cheap rubbish that a five year old could have dished up (a pet hate is beans slopped over everything else so everything tastes of cheap tomato sauce). It seems that if you do not fit in with the hours that these coach parties operate and do not socialise or eat with them, then you are doomed to have a bad time. Disappointing - could not wait to leave.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank JonandJane186273
Kent
Reviewed 4 April 2013

First impressions of the hotel were very pleasing.

At £40.00 a night with Sea View during the Easter Break, my expectations were not overly high, so I was very pleased to receive a basic but tidy twin room with excellent Sea View directly across from the Pier. The staff were also very welcoming and friendly.

Then, things started to go downhill from then onwards. The bed, which was quite basic and felt quite cheap, felt like it was about to give way at any time and sounded like it had a great deal of age to it. The bathroom was basic but clean and of good quality, with a heavy smell of heavily of paint.

The next morning, I went down for breakfast and the staff seemed quite confused by my appearance when I said I wasn’t with the “coach party”; nevertheless, I was directed towards a seat and they were quite friendly afterwards. The breakfast itself was annoyingly, selfishly, tight-fisted – imagine a breakfast where the management had devised a plan to make the cheapest breakfast available with the fewest complaints. I was offered cereal and fruit juice but there was no self-service and in the style of a 1970’s/1980’s Bed and Breakfast; a tiny glassful and small bowl was brought over with my “full” English. This was annoying and quite insulting in all honesty – the fried bread was a triangle which equated to one sixth of a slice of small bread and tasted of nothing but lard, the black pudding was half a thin slice – really? Is that really, honestly necessary in this day and age when food is incredibly cheap? There was also one, scrawny piece of bacon, with a small egg, beans and sausage and, although there was no quality there in the slightest, were all cooked well. After several days into my eight day stay, I really couldn’t be bothered with it.

That evening, I was stunned to hear booming karaoke music coming up from the room below. Now, I don’t generally have too much of a problem with this – it’s a hotel and there will almost always be entertainment but this was like nothing else – I had to literally shout to the person I was on my mobile to (who couldn’t quite believe the noise) and turn the television right up. I went to the reception to tell them and they were well aware of the problem, even quoting my room number as being the one with the “really bad noise” – if this was the case, why on earth was it let out in the first place? The staff were, in their defence, very polite about it and said it would only be on until 11pm (true enough, but then CD music is played at quite a high volume too), and that they would look into a room change in the morning. After a quick visit to the hotel bar to discover it wasn’t a Karaoke, but someone who was actually paid to sing at a very low standard, plus a game on a pool table which was ripped and unbalanced to the point of it having a life of its own after striking the ball.

I didn’t change room as I knew I would be out past 11 the following few nights but wish I had. It is not a quiet hotel in general; young children are allowed to run at full pace around the hotel incessantly whilst shouting and screaming in full voice without condemnation from either staff or (worryingly) parents, cleaners also seem to have little thought for people who enjoy a lie in, thumping, shouting and running around incessantly at an early hour. One knocked at my door at 8.20am, enquiring about attending to the room as stating that they had me down as my “day to leave” (which it wasn’t and anyhow, check-out time is 11am – no-one should be knocking doors at anywhere near that time) – “Do not Disturb” signs have little or no effect.

Sandown itself was disappointing. It has a tired, dishevelled and quite depressing feel – many business are either gone or clearly hanging on for dear life; there is little to do in the evenings apart from several pubs and poor quality backing-track singers in hotels. At night, it becomes dark and deserted, with the few revellers there are making a lot of noise, amongst the transient few who walk along with super-strength lager in their hand. On the island, it has to be the worst town to stay in, bar none, and most certainly the least friendly.

Overall, with good value, a sea view, convenient location and friendly staff should make this a high-scoring review. But I didn’t sleep well during my eight days there, I didn’t eat well and was continually disappointed at the prevalent lack of common sense and the simple fact that a lot of small differences would make a big difference – the breakfast is an insult to the year 2013 – if they moan about “cost” – put another 30p on the cost of the room, no-one would mind for a few more paltry ingredients. I am also astonished that this hotel is targeted at “coach parties” and the elderly with how it is run and how noisy it is. I would only recommend this to someone who would want a “bed for the night” after a heavy evening but, with the lack of life in the town, where would you have one? And if you are under 50, then you should be steering well clear of Sandown. The staff are great; it appears it is the management who seem to be lacking and clearly rejoice in penny-pinching to the point of insulting your intelligence – couldn’t recommend either the hotel or the town and, even if I was offered a free stay, I couldn’t honestly say that I would take it up.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel but if your stay is unavoidable, avoid rooms directly above the entertainment.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
13 Thank Dunmall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
Shanklin Hotel
#1 of 29 in Sandown
Marina Bay Hotel
Marina Bay Hotel
#13 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Bayshore Hotel? Share your experiences!