“Lovely, clean, central hotel with great service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lorron Hotel

Lorron Hotel
Ranked #20 of 30 Sandown B&B and Inns
Canterbury Kent England
“Lovely, clean, central hotel with great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights last week with my husband and autistic son and was very impressed by the service. My son is a very fussy eater/drinker and I asked for a glass of squash for him at breakfast on the 1st morning. On the 2nd morning when we came down to breakfast, there on the table waiting for him was a jug of squash. He also doesn't eat a full English breakfast, which, by the way was lovely, so he had toast and cereal, and extra toast was made for us. These little things make a big difference especially when you have a son like ours. We had booked a single and twin room but on arrival Lorraine (the owner) told us that instead of a single, which would be located at the other end of the corridor, she had put my son in a double, which was directly opposite our room. The hotel is in a great location in Lake between Sandown and Shanklin and an ideal base to travel round the island. Its very clean and there's parking on site. Thank you Lorraine, Michelle and the rest of the family/staff for a great stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chesham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Have just stayed at the Lorron Hotel for 4 nights with a group of school children. The location is ideal, out of the town centres and yet only a short walk to the beach. It is possible to walk to both Shanklin and Sandown along the cliff path. The hotel has been recently decorated throughout, everything is very clean and fresh all the beds are new. Despite two groups of 30 children all using the showers at the same time we had no problem with the supply of hot water (unlike other places we have stayed) Yes there is a train line at the bottom of the garden, it didn't bother us at all. The owner, her daughter and all the other staff were fantastic, always friendly and went out of their way to meet all our needs, especially the dietary/allergy ones. (The owners grandaughter even made us a box to put all our sandwiches in :-).) Thank you so much for a fantastic stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GypsyChesham
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Lorron Hotel over the August Bank Holiday weekend and the hotel was fully booked. Handy location in Lake (near both Sandown and Shanklin), had no problem with any noise (train line close by but not unpleasant whatsoever) and the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful.

However, I feel it is fair to mention a few things that were not quite as good as they could have been - not to discourage people from visiting but to alert the owners that a few minor tweaks could make a big difference.

The breakfast was very tasty, not enormous but plenty of choice. I just felt that it was a bit of a rush having a full hotel descending on the dining room at the same time as the service is only between 9am and 10am. I also heard a comment that the breakfast was served a bit late for some people - perhaps a two hour window from 8am may help?

Another comment that has been mentioned elsewhere and that we also noticed was that the top covers of the beds and pillow didn't appear to smell particularly fresh which I am sure could be addressed quite simply. Rooms were lovely and cosy though.

The only other thing was the lack of hot water in our room. This we presumed was due to the fact of demand over the bank holiday period. We could have done with a hot shower after being sandblasted by the Isle of Wight Hovercraft a few hours earlier! A boiled kettle had to suffice but a shower would have been preferable.

Despite these shortcomings, we had a lovely stay - thanks for being so welcoming!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

stayed here for one night with my misses and our 6 year old.Absolutely lovely people running it and a really tasty quality breakfast.Rooms are average but do what you want them to do. we loved it.we popped into the local village and had a lovely italian meal. A smashing place run by lovely friendly people

• Stayed July 2013
Walsall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

Details for The Lorron Hotel were given to me by personal recommendation from a work friend who had previously used it. I needed a few days away with a bit of fresh air and some walking so The Lorron fitted the bill situated as it is on the cliffs near Lake between Sandown and Shanklin. It's not right down on the Sandown seafront which suited me fine. I'm a light sleeper but the nearby trainline was not obtrusive. The shops are a 5 minute stroll away. The cliff top path giving that staggeringly beautiful Sandown Bay view is 5 minutes away in the other direction. Breakfast was well prepared and plentiful. I sometimes have trouble digesting food and can't eat any old rubbish but food in The Lorron was very good. All the staff I met were genuinely pleasant people and very helpful. Lorraine, who runs the hotel, is wonderful. My room, number 3, was very clean, fresh, modern in fit and even had it's own wet room. Well above what I expected. The hotel itself is quiet both in activity and noise levels and comfortable during the day. I have no connection to the hotel or it's staff but I can't think of anything negative to say about the place. I shall use this hotel again and recommend it to others. Well done, The Lorron.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Lee308
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

Having stayed at this b&b with my 3 children, i found it to be idealy situated for the beach and the public transport. the owner and staff were more than helpful in recommending attractions to visit and things to do with the children, very friendly. the rooms were a good size, clean and tidy and our room had a newly refurbished bathroom. breakfast was lovely, with plenty of choice for myself and the children. the free wifi in the hotel pleased my teenager no end. would recomend this hotel to anyone. a great holiday for a great price. rebooked already for next year.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Janet H
Godalming, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

Whilst this hotel is on the main Sandown to Shanklin road be warned, at the end of the garden is the main Ryde to Shanklin railway line. The 1st train is at 6am and it makes the hotel rattle. Once you have been woken up by the train you still have 3 hours to wait for breakfast, which is served only from 9 til 10. Breakfast, well that was an experience never to be repeated. A full english was requested and it was cooked in enough oil to keep those trains running for months. It was so greasy that i could not pick up the fried egg with my fork. The bedroom was average, nothing to write home about, I did get told that I was being given a room with a view, a view of the owners bungalow and garage. The bar, non alcoholic, does not appear to have been used for some time. Wi-fi, this is totally non existant. Would I stay there again......no way.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo