“A Lovely Hotel' Shame about the Small Rooms & Beds!!”

Melville Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We Stayed Here For a Night over our Anniversary and found the hotel and Spa was Lovely, the Food was very Nice to' the outside pool area nice and relaxing..
the location is Good'' The only downside with this Hotel was the uncomfortable and squeaky beds! After being moved into a different room after arrival as the previous one was very small, dirty & Smelt! it did'nt really get any better' the other room was a better size but it was grubby with a massive stain on the carpet as you walked into the room' and the springs on our bed were actually broken and uncomfortable! i did'nt really find the staff helpul when i noted these things! A Real Shame As Its A Nice Hotel otherwise' and we'd prob like to return if the beds were better..

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,278)

Reviewed 30 January 2012

This hotel delivers on good staff, a lovely spa area and fine location. The "deluxe spa bedroom" was a small double room and in the ensuite was a bath with jets. All the heating was switched off when we arrived, so it took about an hour to get the bedroom and bathroom to comfy levels. The bedroom walls have no sound insulation, so I spent a restless night trying not to hear snoring from the next room, late arriving drunks bumping and chattering along the corridor and a TV in another room. For noise reasons I would not stay here again.
However, the food was good, the service attentive and if the decor was updated and the sound insulation attended to as part of this process, I would return regularly.

Room Tip: Not worth paying more for the deluxe room.
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We booked a good deal, after reading reviews on this hotel,we booked 2 nights and ended up staying !

I agree with other reviewers it is a little old fashioned, but in my opinoion it has grear charecter,
The staff are winderful, especially noel (head waiter) what a charming man. Also daniel and michael on reception, so helpful we felt so well looked after,

Overall its very good, the food is good well actually its excellent, presentation and standard is really marvellous, nearly as good as any top class restaurant.

My only complaint would be the standard of the cleaning is not up to scratch,, if this were then it would be 10/10

Room Tip: we stayed in 210 its on the end and bathroom is large
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Let me begin by saying that I did not pay full price for this hotel stay. It was part of a special offer on Wowcher. I suppose I would say that the discount price was fair but I would not pay full price for this hotel.

The hotel has an outdoor pool and very large outdoor hot tub. The hot tub can be used even during the winter months, but the outdoor pool was understandably not in use during our stay (January 2012). I didn't use the hot tub but was told by two of our party that it was wonderful.

The hotel lounge/quiet area offered complimentary tea (of different types) and coffee (including decaf) throughout the day, although the tea, coffee, milk, sugar and cups were not restocked often. Our party were constantly searching for the condiments we needed in the adjacent cupboards. Also, the hotel guide provided in the rooms stated that complimentary fruit and cookies were provided every day from 2pm. We did not see any fruit or cookies on any of the three days we were staying at the hotel!

I only saw one of the treatment rooms in the 'spa' but it was spacious. The treatments I had (neck, back and shoulder massage and leg and foot massage) were good, but I've had better. My therapist was friendly and didn't talk constantly through my treatments. However, my aunt, who was one of my party had a different experience. On meeting the therapist she was told that she was not able to have the reflexology that she had previously booked, due to a previous medical condition. This had not been made clear previously. My aunt then requested a back, neck and shoulder massage in its place. This was refused on medical grounds after the therapist had consulted her manager on two occasions. The only treatments the therapist offered were a hand and foot massage. My aunt agreed to this, in addition to the facial she had previously booked. My aunt was upset about the situation, given that she had booked the reflexology in advance and the therapist appeared to be inexperienced. The therapist then went on to neglect to ask my aunt if she had sensitive skin. My aunt had to tell her this fact. The therapist then went on to offer almond oil as a facial treatment. When my aunt woke the morning after we had arrived home, she found that she had reacted badly to the facial and contacted the hotel to inform them of this, and left a voicemail message. To date she has had no response.

We booked two twin rooms in advance and were told on booking that there would be one double room and one single room in each of the two rooms we had booked. We had no problem with this...until we saw the rooms. Bearing in mind that we were a group of four and had booked two rooms together, we found on arrival that we had been allocated rooms on two separate floors. On entering our rooms we found that they contained a double bed in the main bedroom area and a single bed in a completely separate room. We deliberately booked twin rooms because we wanted to share rooms but were disappointed to find that both beds were separated by rooms. To remedy this we moved the mattress from the single bed into the main bedroom with the double bed.

The rooms themselves, and the hotel in general was pretty out of date and tired. I was disappointed to find that the rooms did not have fridges in them. There were however, kettles and complimentary teas and coffees. The ensuite bathrooms were well below par. The decor was old fashioned. The shower however, was very good, despite being out of date. The hotel provided complimentary toiletries.

The indoor pool was very small and could accommodate four people at a push. There were two Dr Detox booths and a sauna, however there were only two unisex showers in lockable changing rooms, and one toilet, also unisex. I would not call this a 'spa' hotel. Much more a hotel with a few spa facilities!

On arrival we were provided with 'robe' and 'towel' cards, which you produced in return for a robe and towel from reception. Once you returned the robe and towel you were provided with the cards again, so that you could use them the following day etc. Slippers could be provided for £2.50 per pair, which I thought was extortionate. Most spa hotels I've been to have had slippers included for no extra charge.

The car park of the hotel is not the best. On one side you have to drive up or down a very steep hill to park. Also, the car park gets very busy and it becomes difficult to find a space if you return to the hotel after a day out.

In the main, the hotel staff are friendly, apart from the young gentleman we dealt with for the majority of our stay. He was efficient but could appear to be rude at times. He also did not make any effort to be helpful on the occasions we asked for assistance.

In conclusion, neither I, or any members of our party would return to this hotel again, whether at discounted rates or at full price. The location of the hotel was fair, but there was no night life, so if you're looking for a location for a girly weekend out, don't go to Sandown!

Room Tip: No lift, so choose a lower floor room if you don't like climbing stairs every time you go to you...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Debbi R
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We had a one night mid-week stay to go walking. Friendly staff. Hotel in good location, big room and OK bathroom. Loved being given towel and robe for leisure suite, which was fine as long as it's not your main reason for choosing this hotel. Good choice of evening menu well cooked and presented. Excellent breakfast, wished I had apetite to eat more! Had to park the car on double yellow over night as poor parking by other guests meant there was no room for my Smart car. I couldn't get the WiFi to work although signal strength was excellent, didn't bother to inquire about it as quite nice not to be able to check emails!

2  Thank JinnyJane
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed at the Melville Hall hotel at short notice recently, using an online website to make the booking. From the other reviews I was expecting a rather stately old-school hotel. Well, there was plenty of old-school about it, but not in the way I was expecting.

The room I was allocated was at the end of a corridor, and its bed took up - literally - 80% of the floor area. The windows were open and the wall heater was off when I arrived (mid-afternoon), so it was very cold in there. The bathroom's two windows were both open and it was freezing - it was a laminated / plastic floor so that walking on it in bare feet was a soul-chilling experience.

The bar was OK, service fair (I wanted to taste three wines before deciding, and while the barman wasn't effusive about this request, he was accommodating).

Dinner was fine, and the lamb shank excellent. I asked for some olive oil - i like olive oil and salt with bread - but the gentleman came back from the kitchen telling me "the chef doesn't use it" and giving me a little bowl of rape seed oil instead. I didn't try this. I am surprised there is no olive oil in the kitchen, but the gentleman serving was completely charming and helpful. The coffee was certainly not fresh but I was quickly brought another pot - so quickly that it must have been from another coffee machine in the kitchen that also had coffee standing in it. I define "freshly brewed coffee" as coffee that is brewed when you ask for it, or at least in the moments before you ask for it, not coffee that is sitting in a pot getting ever more stale. The first pot was definitely stale.

Breakfast was good - full English, perfectly fine coffee, hot, and hot milk - freshly brewed this time, I expect, as I was the first person in for breakfast. The lady serving was utterly charming.

Look at the carpet of the dining room. It is bespattered, flecked with the debris of a thousand meals. It did make me think, like the room, that the hotel is in need of a general wash-and-brush-up / full-on refurbishment.

The people working at the hotel were all efficient, helpful, and can-do. I would say that the hotel itself is a bit tired now, but perhaps my expectations were too high...

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Fire F
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We booked a 2 day break to this spa hotel to relax after Christmas. We love the IOW and booked this at short notice. We took advantage of a special offer, and it appeared to be excellent value for money, but we had no great expectations as it seldom pans out that "special offers" are as good as they seem. How wrong we were, the staff are fantastic, the food is very, very good and the spa is great. You could spend a lot of money on a "trendy" spa venue and still not get the experience we enjoyed, I can recommend Melville Hall very highly.

2  Thank Gary147
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
#1 of 9 in Ventnor
Bay Broadway Park Hotel
Bay Broadway Park Hotel
#1 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Melville Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!