“Disappointing even as a discounted stay”

Melville Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Stayed here last weekend on a weekend break using a groupon deal for night with 3 spa treatments. We parked the car next to a disused, decaying fish tank someone had dumped in a corner of the car park! We upgraded our room due to lack of availability to a spa room. This was very pokey, the bathroom cramped, there was a ring of dirt round the bath, the tv was on a stand at the same level as the bed so it wasn't actually possible to watch it in bed & the bed was awful, springs had gone, squeaky & very uncomfortable. The room was shabby, cramped & the wardrobe doors didn't shut properly. We did ask if they had any other spa rooms & they said no, thankfully we only stayed 1 night & we kept out of the depressing room as much as possible.

The spa treatments were good but the staff were quite inefficient getting the session underway, the spa was ok tho I'm glad I had flip flops on all the tinme as it wasn't that clean & never seemed to be anyone looking after it. The bar was undermanned, the barman was covering the restaurant & the bar & god knows what else. we had meal included so we had dinner in the restaurant, it was disappointing & possibly one of the most disappointing meals I have had in a long time, I had mackerel as a starter what I got was about a quarter of a mackerel fillet... Mussels in creme fraiche as main course was tasteless & could be coincidence but i had an unsettled stomach the next day. The breakfast was ok but felt a bit mean, 1 sausage, rasher of bacon, 3 mushrooms, some beans, 1 egg, 1 tomato & 1 hash brown.

Agree with other reviews, hotel is dated, seems to be the case of lot of hotels on isle of wight though. Spa treatments good & spa itself is ok. Wouldn't recommend staying at this hotel though, it was a rather uncomfortable stay, inefficient staff, room was horrible & food was disappointing. Don't think it was worth the money even on a discounted break. Definately cannot recommend.

4  Thank obliqua

Reviewed 14 February 2012

We booked this hotel through the Wowcher deal and now know why they cant fill the hotel without offering cut price deals!!
We arrived to a warm welcome and were given our key etc. We have been told no standard rooms were available so we happily agreed an upgrade when i booked some months before. when we saw our room we were a bit disapointed. The room was very dated but decided to go with it as it was clean and we didnt plan on spending alot of time in there. The breakfast wasnt anything special but we though the staff were very friendly and helpful. The spa treatments we had were good but the pool area floor was a bit dirty. i had a manicure on the last day which was 1/2 hr treatment but it was very rushed and no time was allocated for the polish to dry and I was hurried out and by the time I had walked back up to my room the polish was chipped which I was dissapointed about. On leaving the room after out stay I moved the curtains to check we had not left anything and saw a LARGE damp patch with mould on the wall behind the curtains ( I think we were in room 117 but cant be certain) if i had noticed this on day 1 I would have asked to be moved.
Afraid to say that we wont be returning to the Melville as it does need some attention and redecoration.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Rachel P
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I just spent the weekend at this hotel with my wife and friends. We were so looking forward to it as this was our first experience of a Spa break. The rooms are disappointing, very tired and in need of updating. When I checked on our Spa appointments, which were booked some weeks before, we were told that we only had 50% of what we booked. After complaining we were eventually offered alternative dates, but there was not the availability of additional treatments that we wanted to book. Guests wandered around the hotel in bath robes, which portrayed a unprofessional layout.
All in all, we were very disappointed, and will not be returning to this hotel. The weekend was not cheap, if we had not of travelled so far, we would have requested a refund and not stayed.
S&J

Room Tip: Book the Premier Inn
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank scmgsa
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We book our trip with Melville Hall, included in the deal was 3 spa treatments each which I booked 6 weeks in advance. Once we got to the hotel we heard other guests complaining about bookings with the spa, so we thought we'd best check ours. When we did, they had nothing under our name! First they said they would give us free dinner on both nights but the hotel is pretty dismal so the thought of eating there two nights in a row was not appealing! We said that the only reason we were staying was the spa so we wanted a refund. They said the could only offer £148 back instead of the full £200 and we had to leave!!! After much arguing, we managed to get a full refund and found somewhere else! We then went to the Lakeside Hotel which is gorgeous! Melville is dated and rooms are quite boxy. Lots of people waiting in reception with robes rather than in a nice area of the spa. We didn't get to venture that far as we left so can't comment. Terrible experience. Be careful if you are brave enough to go!

From Nic & V

4  Thank Vmj12
Reviewed 5 February 2012

The hotel is rated add a the star...which is fair. The rooms are tired and in desperate need of modernising. Or superior room had a four poster which had lace drapes all around it. It just looked so old fashioned.

The carpet in the spa area needs ripping up asap and the furniture in the same area is old and in desperate need of
replacement and was covered in a thick later of dust.

One of the chairs in our room, 003, was badly stained.

We can forgive old and tired rooms but some of the hotel is unclean and that costs little to get right. The pool windows were dirty and mouldy in places too.

The one thing we will say was superb were the evening meals, which on both nights we really enjoyed. The scallops were some of the best I've ever had. The breakfast on the other hand was poor - sausage was horrible only one slice of bacon, which was smoked, and a poached egg that didn't look cooked.

We came on a Travelzoo offer which, all in all was still well worth it even though the hotel needs work...let's hope they have done these offers to help pay for the much needed upgrade, otherwise I fear the good rating on TripAdvisor will drop...

Reviewed 3 February 2012

I stayed at the Melville Hotel last weekend with a couple of friends. We came on a special deal weekend with (Travel Zoo).
This was more like a large B&B than a hotel. Our room was a bit disappointing with cobweds on the wall and mould on the net curtains.
The food was outstanding and the service in the restaurant was wonderful!
Included in our weekend break was two spa treatments for 30min's each! It would have been nice to have the full time, my treatments should have started at 11.00 but instead started about 15/20 minutes late as they had staff off sick my treatments ended promptly at 12. This was a shame as the quality was good!
My next disappointment was when I booked a eye brow shape, I had wax spilt in my hair which was then "Waxed out" leaving a small patch of hair missing. Then to be told the girl doing my eye brow's was working in the kitchen until 4 day's previous!!!!!!! Not great!!!!!
The outside pool and spa area was lovely, probably even better in the summer!
On the whole we had a good time I'm not sure if I would rush back. The location was good about a 5 min walk to the beach/pier.
If the Melville could address some of these concerns this has the making of a wonderful hotel and spa!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kimberleylondon
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We Stayed Here For a Night over our Anniversary and found the hotel and Spa was Lovely, the Food was very Nice to' the outside pool area nice and relaxing..
the location is Good'' The only downside with this Hotel was the uncomfortable and squeaky beds! After being moved into a different room after arrival as the previous one was very small, dirty & Smelt! it did'nt really get any better' the other room was a better size but it was grubby with a massive stain on the carpet as you walked into the room' and the springs on our bed were actually broken and uncomfortable! i did'nt really find the staff helpul when i noted these things! A Real Shame As Its A Nice Hotel otherwise' and we'd prob like to return if the beds were better..

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
#7 of 51 in Shanklin
The Clifton
The Clifton
#3 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Melville Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!