“relaxing”

Melville Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Our two nights was very enjoyable >The staff were all very friendly especially in the restaurant . The food was excellent. The bedroom although on small side was spotlessly clean and comfortable . Had the pleasure of some treatments in the spa ,the attention from the staff could not be faulted. Looking forward to being able to visit again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Melville Hall Hotel

Reviewed 10 November 2012

The outdoor and indoor spa areas are great, the treatments are lovely and the food is really nice. However, the hotel itself is very tired and dated. I wouldn't of wanted to spend any length of time in the very small and quite ugly room.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Having never been to the Isle of Wight before My husband and I saw the Travel Zoo deal and thought why not! On arrival things looked promising but did not stay that way. We had a room that had a gale blowing through the windows and water running down the inside, and the tv could only be viewed from the right side of the bed, unless you could see through the post on the bed. If you want a drink from the hotel bar then ring the bell on the bar and no one will come!!! To say the service was lacking would be an understatement, I know that it's out of season but surely bar staff are a must when you have guests staying a weekend, or at least accessible staff. We could even get hold of anyone to get our room key on one evening, we tried all the phone numbers on the reception and my husband then went into the kitchen to get someone. Not a very impressive way to run a hotel whether its full or not. So although we enjoyed the Isle of Wight we found our stay at Melville Hall less than comfortable and will try somewhere else when we next visit.

Room Tip: Not room 119 if you want comfort and a bit of room to move.
1  Thank susieb102
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We had a lovely stay. food great and staff more than helpful. the hotel is in a good location not far from the town and the beautiful sandown sand y beach. My only gripe is that the spa and parts of the hotel could do with a bit of updating. the spa treatments were good also.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 8 November 2012

My wife & I had never visited I o W, so having been made aware of this offer from Travel Zoo I quickly booked our stay. Two nights B & B with dinner on the first night, two spa treatments each plus a bottle of wine in our room seemed a red hot deal, it also included ferry from Southampton and return. Having booked same I then checked out the hotel on Trip Advisor and was disappointed to read some of the reviews, but knowing you can't ever please all of the people went ahead with the booking.
It really is a special place and we had a wonderful time,made so by the staff who are a young team that cannot do enough for you.
Our room was spacious and the on-suite massive with a spa bath, very clean and comfortable , c/w modern flat sceen TV, twin beds that we had ordered. The spa treatments were excellent, I had a full body massage which cost £25 extra & I also had a head massage. Wife had head massage & manicure, both excellent. The bottle of wine in the room was something we hadn't known before but was much more than a house red, we will check out same to be able to buy back home.
The dining facilities were spacious and well laid out as was the adjoining lounge. Food was good, if there was any complaint it was only one person serving but as food was individually prepared it didn't really matter (might not suit those who wish to rush the meal) Nice bar and lounge that wasn't hadly used.
The spa area include a small pool, sauna, two detox cabins and a jacuzzi - large towels and bath robes were provided and I would recommend you take slippers/jangles.
Very special excellent deal from travel zoo - special thanks to wonderful staff - I hope the potential account passes all ACCA exams, she was soooo nice!!

Room Tip: Can recommend rm 107
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We return to Melville Hall every year since 2005 and as always it is a place where you can totally chill out - with the spa and the treatments, with the excellent offers that include clean and comfortable accommodation, fine dining and, above all, the friendliest service. Don't go far, go to Melville Hall for de-stressing, away from it all.

Room Tip: A front facing classic room, has all one needs.
1  Thank 27Kay
Reviewed 2 November 2012

It was indeed a good deal, although a mistake was made with the bill as we left. The staff were very friendly, but also very young and I'm not sure they were all that experienced hence the mistake.
The room was quite large and well equipped with storage space. The beds comfortable and the linen clean and good quality. The bathroom however could do with a little attention.
I was surprised to read in other reviews that the food was poor. This was certainly not my experience, apart from the scrambled eggs at breafast, which tasted as though they had been microwaved. I was quite surprised that no alternative to butter was offered at breakfast, but was served when requested. The creme brulee and the malteser cake, at dinner, were heavenly.
The treatments included in the offer were great, room warm and comfortable and the girls friendly and did their utmost to put one at ease.
The swimming pool is very small, but as there were few people staying when we were there it did not matter. I liked the dressing gowns that were provided which meant that you did not change or shower there, but go back to your room an there was no need to use lockers.
There were a lot of stairs and corridors, but unless you are unfit or have no sense of direction this is not a problem, however there was a strange smell in some of the areas. I think coming from the kitchen.
All in all it was a good stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the ground floor if you have a problem with stairs.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
#7 of 51 in Shanklin
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa

Been to Melville Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!