“Utopia Spa - best massage I have ever had!”

Melville Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Sandown
Australia
“Utopia Spa - best massage I have ever had!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

Visiting friend who bought us both a day at this Spa. Hotel looked a little tired but staff excellent. As winter we could have used outdoor spa but opted for lovely heated indoor pool, spa, sauna or an infra red room which we did. Lunch included - very healthy and enormous fruit smoothies. Herbal teas available in our spa lounge area as well as continual hot packs for necks and shoulders. Hot stone massage using hot oil was absolute bliss. Having had a fall a few weeks previously hurting shoulder and "corked" thigh I felt like a new woman afterwards. Facial lovely too. We were advised to leave skin for 8 hours afterwards which we did and product used Decleor very good. Ideal place to spend day on cold winter day in UK. Tip don't put dressing gown on after swim! Dry first.

Room Tip: We didn't stay overnight!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

I spent 4 days at the Hotel and had a lovely time, the staff are so friendly and do everything they can to help make your stay comfortable. They remember you and when ever they see you they always speak so that you feel at home and relaxed, the treatments are so good. I had a special deal where we each got 2 free treatments, which were great, plus my boyfriend and I spent ages in the pool area, relaxing and using the sauna facilities. The Therapists were very good and totally sensitive to our needs and made me feel very relaxed.
The overall Hotel was very clean and did not find any areas to complain about. The gardens were very nice and kept very tiday as well, can't wait to go back and use the outside pool in better weather.

Room Tip: Kingsize room's are huge. Four Poster Bed Room much smaller, but both clean and lovely.
Towcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

Melville Hall Hotel is a pleasant place to stay made by its staff who are all very friendly and efficient. The hotel itself is in need of some updating and refurbishment especially the bathrooms.

To be honest my first impression was not great but after I had experienced the staff from reception, restaurant and spa I warmed to the place and probably would re-visit.

The spa offered good treatments the other facilities were adequate and Dr Detox was good. The outdoor hot tub was a welcome treat on a sunny November day.

I have rated this as very good because there is not a good option but it is better than what I would call average.

Room Tip: Our room was at the front and with the window open you can hear the train at 6ish am and if cars lea...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Swanage, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

This was our third visit to Melville Hall, and we were again made to feel very welcome. Although we had requested a first floor superior room at the front of the hotel, we were shown to a pleasant front facing room on the ground floor, with a four poster bed. In future we would prefer a larger bed without the four posts!
We had expected to receive a bottle of wine on arrival, but apparently that is only available if you book on line. The only two chairs in the bed room were rather worn former dining room chairs, which at our request were eventually replaced with two more comfortable chairs, but not till our last evening!
As before the food was excellent, even though the menue less varied.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for superior room. Spa rooms not worth the extra, as still very cramped.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

This hotel is certainly not what it makes itself out to be. It looks great in the pictures which fooled me into booking it in the first place. I didn't take any pictures during my stay because it was so abysmal but now I wish I had so I could share how truly disgraceful and dirty it was! I felt totally conned as it was out of season, therefore reception closed at 8pm, along with the spa (which was supposed to close at 10pm) there was never anyone around to help when we needed it - and trust me there were a lot of problems! Dinner was completely overcooked, food was dry, home-made custard tasted of egg! Worst stay ever. And to top it all off there were extra charges on our bill at the end of our stay which we hadn't rightly accrued!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Peacefulpiglet
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

Very friendly staff. Fabulous outdoor hot tub. Lovely food. Nice comfortable beds. Great fish tank in the waiting area. Liked the robes that were issued. Pretty view of the hills from our room.

Hotel does need modernising in some areas with decor and doors. A few too many dusty and spidery corners on my visit. The blue letters on the outside of the hotel need updating as are tacky and don't indicate the classy touch that is found in the outside pool area. Indoor pool area is compact.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

Our two nights was very enjoyable >The staff were all very friendly especially in the restaurant . The food was excellent. The bedroom although on small side was spotlessly clean and comfortable . Had the pleasure of some treatments in the spa ,the attention from the staff could not be faulted. Looking forward to being able to visit again in the near future.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
#1 of 31 in Sandown
Trouville Hotel
Trouville Hotel
#3 of 31 in Sandown

Been to Melville Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!