“Brilliant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Sandown
England
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

I stayed at the Melville Hall Hotel on Wednesday and Thursday.The staff were extremely helpful and incredibly friendly.Steve was extremely helpful as I wanted to explore the island.The treatments were brilliant and I had a relaxing and very pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Alton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

Stayed over on a saturday & sunday evening on a "special offer" 2 night break. Great value for money. Helpful staff, decent food, and good facillities throughout the hotel. We both had Massages as part of the deal and these were very pleasent. Reception very helpful, as were the Restaurant staff. Overall would happily recommend.

1 Thank steve b
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

This establishment is rated as 3 stars and that is very much as far as it goes. Its a solid enough 3 stars however. We booked a 59 p.p. package - arriving on friday night

Pluses:
- nice, spacious and cozy room - a touch better then what you would expect of 3 stars. Standard bathroom - all well cleaned.
- Late closing time for the pool / spa (10pm)
- CAN be a good value for money IFF you pre-book your health package early enough - otherwise you will miss out. But be watchful of 10£ supplement per person on the weekends.
- Easy access / parking
- Service (reception / restaurant / bar) - welcoming and pleasant.

Minuses:
- The pool/spa area is tiny and in need of a re-fresh + renovation. There's yellow patches in places, rust in some. The whole thing feels like an afterthought and it really get too crowded to enjoy on the weekends. Of all spa hotels that I have visited, this was the smallest and simply not 'attractive' to enjoy and relax to.
- They do get a lot of guests on the weekends. We did not pre-book any of the health packages ( our fault), and found out upon arrival then there is nothing available for the next two days. To be honest, this might surprise a few as you would expect that the hotel would have enough staff to provide the service. But, again, with facilities that tiny, it does not surprise me.
- The breakfast had an 'ok' variety but it was average in quality. Even the local weatherspoon's would have a fresher and tastier english breakfast. Once, again, you can eat it, but you won't get much pleasure from it.
- If you add the car ferry price, miss out on the health treatment, add 10p.p. supplement it may indeed work out better to find something 4/5 stars off the island.

WILTSHIRE
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

I booked into the Melville Hall via Internet as i was attending a nearby Exhibition as did a number of my business acquaintances.

The show finished late so we all arrived at the hotel rather late as a consequence.

Check in was superb and a very friendly girl gave me a great welcome.

Then my troubles began...i thought i would go to the bar for a drink. There was a chap behind the bar in Steward apparel ....i could see him....but it seems he couldn't see me. He wandered off with a bottle of wine to serve in the Restaurant (four couples) and returned a few minutes later to serve me a drink as apparently i had now become visible.

Phone home, shower, change and then back down to the bar for 8:15pm for a slap up Dinner....right? Wrong!

The Steward with the selective eye sight informed my Business acquaintance and I that the hotel do not accept any new sittings in the Restaurant after 8pm.

Needless to say we complained stating that we were Residents and that surely we could be squeezed in?!

He was having none of it and became quite indigent that we were even questioning ancient hotel policy.

At this point i gave in and asked to see the Bar or Room Service menu...but guess what...."That facility does not exist in this hotel".

Please reference Fawlty Towers Episode 'The Kipper and the Corpse 1979' Doctor enters the bar asking for food late and is told by Sybil that Chef has locked the sausages away but Sandwiches are available and is even given a choice of fillings.
Oh dear Melville Hall......upstaged by spoof hotel set in the 70s!!!
You would of thought being close season the Hotel would be happy to increase revenue?

So at 8:30 pm (the complaining went on a bit!) we were left with no Dinner and no other option of food from the hotel. We asked reception for the number of a Takeaway that would deliver but after returning to the bar and dialling it proved to be unobtainable.....at this point i lost it and decided i couldn't be bothered..... The pair of us ate a large bag of Burts crisps supplied by a rep who collected some from his car...another two bottles of London Pride and then off to bed.

Breakfast was excellent as was the friendly serving staff.

Check out was good and friendly. I did complain to the nice lady that i thought the Dickensian Dinner policy was a joke and asked for email details of the manager to complain before placing any review on this site.
I emailed the next day stating that i would not place a review for two days....i heard nothing....so......

The room was ok.
Staff with the exception of the Bar Steward were all great including Spa staff who i passed on the corridors, who were all smiles.
All areas clean.
Excellent IOW Festival Memorabilia wall in the bar.

BUT Please please Melville Hall drag yourself into the 21st Century and put your guests first and not your ancient policies.
It is WE by staying and paying that are doing you the favour...not the other way around!

I will not get the chance to see any improvements if any...because i wont be going back!

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank deeperblue82
Weymouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

Having read the reviews we were looking forward to a 2 day spa stay at the Melville Hall. However we did no get that far. Having tried to book online without success, I tried to contact the hotel direct. The phone rang for ages before an answerphone requested your details and someone would ring back. No-one returned my call, so the next day I again tried to contact the hotel again to no avail,not even an answerphone. I eventually got an answer some 36hours after initial contact but the person was unable to answer my queries stating the member of staff I required to speak to was busy. That was a fair comment, however I just needed to see if the dates I required were available otherwise there was no point in persuing the matter further. They were able to check this and confirmed they were. I was unable to put a reserve on until the other member of staff could speak to me! That other member of staff didnt contact me until some five and half hours later! Then there was no availability!! Hence there was no booking. So we have booked elswhere.....not impressed!

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rose B
Lewes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

We had 1 night stay. Unfortunately, because we did not read the literature correctly, we were unable to take advantage of the treatments offered. The very helpful receptionist said she would ask a couple of the therapists if they would come in early the next day, but hey! This was our error not theirs so we did not want to put anyone out. We had full access to the pool, spa, and sauna and to be honest, that was fine by us. The room was lovely. Very homely and the beds were the best I've ever slept on.So comfortable! Even my companion didn't complain about her back aching! We will be returning and also reading the literature more carefully next time! We recommend whether for a spa break or just to stay.

Room Tip: We chose a superior twin room. It was of good size and well decorated. The shower was a dream