“Very Helpful staff”

Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Very Helpful staff”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have stayed at the Melville Hall on business several times this summer and have always found the staff to be excellent and always prepared to 'go the extra mile' . The bar may be thought by some to be a little old fashioned but the framed newspaper reports of old IoW music festivals are fascinating. This will now be my first choice hotel for any return trips to the island.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
West Sussex
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The staff at the hotel are lovely and so helpful, this is the best thing about the hotel. The hotel itself is VERY dated, it is confusing the clientele they are trying to attract. The decor (in my opinion) would appeal to elderly clients. There are a lot of stairs to the rooms with no lifts. The spa areas would appeal to a younger clientele. The walls are very thin, unfortunately my husband had to endure listening to a couple have very loud sex until about 1.30am - I'd packed my ear plugs!

The menu is very dated and unfortunately one of the worst meals I've ever had. I had Slow Cooked Shoulder of Lamb with Mashed Swede, Garlic and Thyme Roasted New Potatoes and a Redcurrant Jus. The swede had so much salt in it, it was inedible, the potatoes hadn't been washed and were gritty, the lamb was nice but very fatty! We had a side order of vegetables (for an extra £2.95!) and the carrots were off, they smelt and tasted disgusting!

Breakfast wasn't much better than dinner, it is served between 8.00 and 9.30, the hash brown was almost raw, the sausage and bacon was poor quality. The baked beans, tomato and egg were ok. The coffee was really nasty!

As part of the package my husband booked it included spa treatments, there were only two appointments available 9.00am and 2.00pm the next day. I had to choose the 9.00am appointment, as our return ferry was at 3.00pm, it was a bit of a rush to have breakfast to then get to my appointment. My husband was unable to have a treatment.

I have to say I wouldn't recommend the hotel to anyone. If they improved the menu it would be a great start!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank activebysweetness
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We had an extremely pleasant stay at the Melville. The facilities are very good and the room well maintained if a bit dated. There are internal and external swimming pools a pleasant restaurant and bar, with spa facilities for those so inclined.
Whilst the food is well prepared and presented, if staying for more than a few days, dining out would be recommended for some of the nights as the menu does not change.
The waiting staff are very attentive and helpful and Kristie is worth a mention.
We would certainly return to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2013

This hotel is very dated, we stayed in a 1st floor room the people in the room above us moved around like elephants from 6.00am each morning. My son and I only got a couple of hours sleep on the first night due to the noise above us, when I asked to be moved I was told it was not possible. The Isle of Wight was great but wish we had chosen a better hotel

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Traceyrymer
Cowes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Just finished our treatments. Absolutely brilliant. Thank you to Hayley for a fantastic back massage and reflexology. Feel so calm and rested I could go to sleep. Absolutely what I wanted. Leisure Facilities good I.e. indoor pool, jacuzzi etc. A bit too cold to sit outside and swim in the outdoor pool but all looked good for those warm days. A peaceful location with good parking. The room was ok. Food in the restaurant was really good and the service was fabulous.

Room Tip: Nice view out of the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Hi all,

I had never been to the Isle of Wight before, and had heard positive things about Melville Hall from friends. Although the decor is a little dated, our stay was enhanced by the very kind and welcoming reception and spa staff.
They made us feel like nothing was too much of a problem for them and went out of their way to find directions for us to places all across the island.
Wanted to wish Jessica good luck with her ongoing driving lessons and it was lovely talking to both her and Jo on reception. You are both a real credit to the hotel! Thank you so much for making our stay memorable!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank David3659
Southampton
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed here for one night for my husband’s birthday in June (I’ve only just got around to writing a review!). We booked a package including the ferry, dinner bed and breakfast and two spa treatments (I had a massage and manicure)

The hotel itself is a typical seaside hotel, a little dated apart from the spa area which was wonderful, we happened to go on a very sunny weekend and were able to sit outside and relax and use the pool. I had a manicure and massage both of which were ok but the massage was pretty short.

The room was terribly dated and pretty grubby, we were very disappointed, the room was boiling hot, unbearable even when we had a fan going, when I mentioned this to the receptionist she shrugged and said we had a fan and that was the sum total of the response. The heat made for a very uncomfortable night’s sleep or lack of sleep! The bathroom again was tired and needed a good bleach! The standard of the toiletries was fairly poor but I always take my own when we travel so this doesn’t really bother me. The instructions to use the jacuzzi in the room were so complex we didn’t bother in the end!

There was a very good choice of breakfast with hot food cooked to order which meant that it was fresh. The evening meal was tasty but fairly uninspiring, like the rest of the hotel the menu was dated. I think if you were staying for any more than two nights the menu could be a little restrictive as it remains the same. The bar service was very very slow and there didn’t seem to be a dedicated barman/woman.

Sandown itself isn’t great, if you want nice restaurants and bars this isn’t the place for you, it’s pretty run down and as a couple in our 30s on a romantic weekend away we felt it wasn’t really the place for us, all the bars were loud and full of youngsters which probably would have suited us 10 years ago! Although we did have fun on the pier and found a nice bar to have a quiet drink in.

If you want a sleek modern hotel this isn’t the place for you but it is a typical seaside hotel and could be wonderful with a little modernisation to match the spa. However I do appreciate that some people may like the more traditional look, I myself prefer more boutique hotels. All in all it wasn’t terrible and the package was a good price but I’ve stayed in better hotels!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lou82uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#4 of 29 in Sandown
Bay Broadway Park Hotel
Bay Broadway Park Hotel
#1 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Melville Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!