“Good hotel and lovely stay.”

Melville Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Sandown
London, England, United Kingdom
“Good hotel and lovely stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Went here on a fantastic bargain living social deal for two nights.
Yes the hotel is a little dated, but is is clean and the staff are friendly and helpful.
Our deal included a free half hour treatment. These were very good and we should have had more. The food in the evening was good and breakfast is table service and not a buffet, that has to be worth at least a star.
As we stayed on the weekend of the October storm we had a leak in our room from the roof. The hotel staff were very apologetic and offered us a replacement room without hesitation. I didn't use the steam rooms or plunge pool or hot tub so cannot comment on these.
Overall I thought the hotel was a good three star and would defintely revisit.
Oh and the beds are comfortable and the shower works well.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul E
Carol_Starkey, Public Relations Manager at Melville Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Melville hall and for your excellent feedback. I'm so pleased to hear you had a good stay. Staff are so important in helping guests relax and enjoy their breaks away and I'm so pleased to hear that you found our staff helpful and friendly. I'm glad you were able to book in for a spa treatment and found them very good. You will certainly feel a lot more benefit from booking a few more on your next visit - if you give the spa staff a call they will be only too pleased to make some recommendations. Thank you for making the point regarding the table service at breakfast time. It is really important to us that we offer the very best start to guests and it doesn't get much better than a freshly cooked full english breakfast.
I am so sorry to hear you suffered a leak in your room during the great storm of October 2013 but am delighted to hear that the tea were able to sort this out for you in a satisfactory and timely way.
We are thrilled to hear that you will visit us again and very much look forward to welcoming you back to Melville Hall Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We booked this hotel through living social who were offering an excellent deal for a 2 day break including ferry crossing. The hotel is clean and comfortable although I think next time we would upgrade to a superior room. We made use of the spa on the saturday (swimming pool, sauna and detox chamber!!!) there is also an outside pool and jacussi to use. We walked into Sandown on Friday evening for a chinese meal and on Saturday we had dinner in the hotel restaurant which i can only describe as excellent. Drinks prices are reasonable and all the staff are very friendly and courteous. All in all we had a great weekend and look forward to returining to Melville Hall.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Melville Hall and for giving us such excellent feedback. I am so pleased to hear you had a fantastic weekend with us and found the package you booked excellent. Dining is such an important part of a weekend break and I'm delighted that you found your meal excellent. It's good to hear you found the staff friendly and courteous and I'll be sure to pass your feedback on to them. We very much look forward to welcoming back to Melville Hall on your next weekend away on the Isle of Wight.
Tadley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

My Daughter and I recently visited the Melville for a spa break and think it was money well spent. The hotel is a little tired and in need of a facelift but I think the whole experience more than made up for it. The staff could not do enough for you and our room extremely clean and very comfortable, the food was very good and breakfast was excellent. the spa was kept very clean and the therapists were very professional and knew their stuff. I would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again and the more people that stay here the more chance it has of improving the cosmetic side of things as for the hospitality within the establishment keep up the good work, well done.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank piplie
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review following your recent visit visit to Melville Hall with your daughter. I am so pleased to hear you found the whole break to be amazing value - it is really important to us that the packages we offer represent real good value. The whole team will be thrilled to hear how very helpful you found them and that you found the bedrooms very clean and comfortable and the food good and breakfast excellent. Thank you so much for your recommendation - we will certainly keep up the good work. We very much look forward to welcoming you again to Melville Hall Hotel on your next visit to the Isle of Wight.
Wimborne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We've visited the Isle of Wight many times, mostly cheap Haven holiday camp deals or Sun newspaper.
This time was with an offer through livingsocial.com and what value for money it was.
I believe the hotel do weekend spa breaks anyway, but this offer £99 pp included ferry crossing (approx £40), 3 course evening meal (approx £25), free spa treatment (approx £40), use of the spa facilities plus 2 nights B&B. on my calculations you're talking £15 pppn - amazing.

The food and treatments were 1st class, as was the staff.
Facilities in the spa area, restaurants were all very nice.
The room, maybe not on my top 10 but clean, functional if basic, but for this price better than a top premier inn location.

All in All, I would look out for the deal or I'll certainly check the spa break the hotel run and come back again for a stress busting weekend.

Best £200 I've spent in a long time.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback and for choosing to stay at Melville Hall this time. I am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and found it great value for money. It is indeed one of our objectives to make spa breaks affordable. I'm delighted to hear that you found the food and treatments first class and the staff will be thrilled to hear that you found them first class too. Keep an eye out for our special offers! We very much look forward to welcoming you again to Melville Hall on your next visit to the Isle of Wight.
Leicester, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

We had booked a "deal" which included dinner on the first evening. We were due to eat at 8pm and were aware that this was the last service time. As we were on the boat to get to the island, I was aware we were going to be 10-15 minutes late so I called the hotel in advance, spoke to a very charming lady who understood the situation and said it would not be a problem...HOWEVER

On arrival (8.15pm) reception was unmanned and after ringing the bell, we saw a sign infomring us to goto the bar area. We promptly did this and after a couple of minutes a guy who was serving in the restaurant, (and I assume also duty manager etc.) infomed us that as we were late there was no way we coudl be seated for dinner! He also tried to tell us that it was 8.30pm (it had actually just turned 8.20pm) and although a number of people were seated in the restaurant, we could not have dinner.

I tried to reason with this gentleman without any success however he did try and give us the name of a restuarant in town (I had been travelling for over 8 hours returning from Europe on business and did not have any inclination to venture out). The hotel doesnt do room service and the fact we couldnt have anything to eat was nothing short of disgraceful.

Clearly this made myself and my partner (who never gets irrate!) rather upset and left a bad taste to say the least (not from the restauratant food!).

In terms of other points, rooms were very dated, breakfast was OK, and my partner had a couple of spa treatments which she thought were good value.

On check out, we did get a refund up to the value of the dinner, and although I appreciate this gesture, the damage had already been done. Customer service was certainly not Neil's strongpoint.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank marcodewilco
Steven W, Owner at Melville Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Tripadvisor.

I was very sorry to hear that you were declined from eating in the restaurant when you arrived late at the hotel and I have investigated this incident fully with both the Duty Manager, and the Hotel Manageress with whom you spoke via your mobile phone from the ferry prior to your arrival.

Whilst you had indicated you would be with us up to 10 minutes after last orders, when 20 minutes had passed and you had still to arrive, the Duty Manager agreed with the Head Chef that the kitchen could be closed down, presuming that you had chosen instead to dine elsewhere on your journey from the ferry to us. By the time you had arrived it was unfortunately too late and was 30 minutes after last orders.

I am sorry that this situation arose, we endeavour to give a first class service to all our customers whenever possible and it is not nice to read that we have failed on this occasion, leaving a bad impression.

With hindsight we should have taken your mobile number when you called so that we could follow up why you had not arrived when expected and this is something we will do in the future should this situation ever re-occur.

On a more positive note I was pleased to hear your partner enjoyed her spa treatments with us.

I do hope that your experience has not put you off considering Melville Hall for a return visit, hopefully we will be able to better cater for your needs and you will see the improvements we are making throughout the hotel.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Customer service excellent always cheerful and helpful. Good treatments. Food good. Excellent location to town and beach. Hotel decor little tired and dated, although very clean. A lovely weekend break thank you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Carol_Starkey, Public Relations Manager at Melville Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at Melville Hall Hotel & Utopia Spa for your recent weekend break with friends. So pleased to hear you found the customer service excellent as well as the location of the hotel in relation to the town and beach. Glad you enjoyed your spa treatments and do hope that you will visit us again in the future.
Ascot
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed here for a night earlier this month. I thought this was reasonable value for money and as it didn't cost the earth I didn't expect anything too lavish. I would describe our room as relatively basic but perfectly serviceable. Bed was very comfortable. Decor was a little tired looking to be honest but for an overnight stay we really didn't care and we enhoyed a good night's sleep.

We didn't use the SPA facilities and so cannot comment on these - they looked quite decent, however, as did the outside pool.

Breakfast in the morning was very enjoyable as were drinks in the bar during the early evening.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank rrice15
Thank you for choosing to stay at Melville Hall for your overnight break and for your feedback. Glad to hear you found your bed comfortable and breakfast and drinks enjoyable. We do hope that you choose to stay with us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
#1 of 31 in Sandown
Trouville Hotel
Trouville Hotel
#3 of 31 in Sandown

Been to Melville Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!