“disappointed”

Melville Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Breakfast was good. Room jaded and old fashioned. En suit ok but took 5 minutes to get any hot water. pine furniture stained & old fashioned. dressing table sticky. only ate one evening meal which was disappointing, dead flowers on table , did not take our drinks order until after starters served .The whole hotel could do with a makeover apart from the spa suit.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Steven W, Owner at Melville Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Daniel,

I am sorry you didnt find the superior room to your taste on your recent stay with us at Melville Hall. I will ensure a thorough inspection of the furniture takes place in your room and review the flowers (dried) that are on each restaurant table. I am also sorry to hear you found the food disappointing, our new chef has received some glowing reports recently on the new menu we have introduced. Staffing levels allow for drinks to be served in a timely fashion but we have been caught out on a couple of occasions due to lots of last minute restaurant bookings from residents who choose to book bed and breakfast rather than booking the restaurant as part of the package, and of course we do not wish to disappoint by turning away customers who decide last minute to dine with us. I can only apologise if the service you encountered was not up to our usual high standard.

I was pleased to see you enjoyed use of the Leisure Club and hope we can welcome you to Melville Hall in the future to see the improvements we are continually making.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,278)

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Melville Hall Hotel for a Spa Break arriving on Saturday 9th November 2013, the ferry crossing was included together with two Spa treatments, on arrival the first impression is that the hotel is very clean and the upgrade to a Superior Room was what we expected. The Spa facilities were excellent. The food and wine selection was exceptionally good, this hotel is ideal for exploring Sandown and the Isle of Wight as a hole.

Room Tip: The Superior rooms are worth the little extra.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Steven W, Owner at Melville Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you for your lovely review of your short spa break stay at Melville Hall. The spa breaks with included treatments and ferry crossing represent excellent value for money and I was especially pleased to see you found the spa facilities excellent. Choosing a Superior Room, I was glad you found it met your expectations. We are just upgrading every Superior Room to include a DVD player with selection of DVD's as well as mineral water, cafetiere coffee and added little luxury touches.

I was really happy to see that you found the food and wine selection exceptionally good and that Melville has a great location for exploring our lovely Island.

I hope you can come back soon and see the further improvements we have made to the Superior Rooms.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed here with friends in a spa room which was very small our bathroom was a good size but must admit a blind would have been nice rather than a net curtain, not very hot water to have the bath & our friends were worse as it was cold. Went to dinner with the food being very nice but quite a limited choice so you wouldn't want to eat there for a weeks holiday, have to say the restaurant was rather chilly the night we went with no heating on. The staff were all very pleasant & Isobel in the spa was lovely. We couldn't get any wi fi all the time of our stay so that was rather annoying.
I don't want to sound to negative about the hotel as we did have a good time but maybe another trip to the Isle of Wight would be spent in another hotel with a little bigger bedroom & warmer dining room.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for leaving your review following your recent visit with friends to Melville Hall Hotel. I am sorry to hear that you found the spa bedroom to be on the small size but pleased to hear that you enjoyed the lovely spa bath in the bathroom. The bathroom windows are made with obscured glass and have had net curtains as well, but these are currently being replaced with blinds in all rooms. I am sorry you found the restaurant to be chilly, I have been playing with the heating today to ensure we have a nice warm restaurant now the colder weather has set in. The menu has plenty of options if you are here for a short stay and we do add additional options over the summer months when guest stays tend to be longer.

Whilst the current wifi system has served us well it is in the process of being upgraded – the good news is that this service will continue to be provided completely free of charge despite the substantial investment we are making to provide it.

I hope you will consider a return visit to Melville Hall or one of our sister hotels in the future, to see the improvements we are continually making for the benefit of our customers.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Visited his hotel for the second time and enjoyed it just as much. Staff are nice, food is good and we got a great deal which included the ferry. The isle of wight is a bit if a forgotten treasure and seems to be stuck ina bit of an endearing time warp. Would definitely go again for the right price!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucy T

Thank you Lucy for your kind review of your stay at Melville Hall. The Isle of Wight is indeed endearing (well we certainly think so!) and pleased to see you chose one of our fabulous deals including the return car ferry, they do offer great value. For the best value deals, make sure you subscribe to our newsletter, on any page of the Melville Hall website, that way you are first to see the best offers.

Hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed for the night of the 11th November for our Annivsary and were booked into a "Superior" room number 233...........

On arrival at 1.50 we were advised that the room was not ready as it was still being cleaned - not a problem as we were early! Half hour later we enquired again as we seemed to have been forgotten and the room was indeed now ready. A friendly male staff member carried our bags up to the room which was appreciated . But once we were in the room I was so dissapointed. Clearly the cleaners must have been rushing as the table still had what looked like pastry crumbs all over it! But it was the mis selling of the word "superior" that amazed me.

The website promises - a luxury room with quality decoration and lighting and shows the most beautiful warm looking rooms.

We got - plain magnolia walls with scuff marks all over them, tired dirty bedside lights with marks all over them and fraying, dirty grout on bathroom floor, rusty shelves in bathroom, rusty bathroom lock with no lock but a hole where it should be, overpowering smell in bathroom of something chemical, very noisy extrator fan so had to use shaver light or would have kept whole hotel awake and certianly could not relax in a bath with it on, plain white bed linen with a green runner to add "luxury", old fashioned thin curtains with a pelmet, only one small picture on the wall so overall the impression was a bland, cold, dated & tired and not very pleasant room.

Soundproofing is also an issue as apart from 11pm to 7.30am we had to endure the sound of the TV in the room below us....

We approached reception to ask if we had actually been put in a superior room only to be told that superior rooms were just bigger than the others and we could have a free newspaper or room service! Having stayed at Premier Inns of higher standard and half the price to say we were dissapointed is an understatement and did not make a for the romantic anniversary experience we had aimed for. No alternative was offered nor an apology to our dissapointment as these would have resolved the situation for us immediately.

We stayed here a few years ago in a superior room (number 5 I think) which really was lovely and beautifully decorated - and also had complementry still and sparkling water, fruit and a selection of DVD's etc and to be honest had expected the same. But I guess it has changed hands since then?

On the plus side the food was lovely as were the waiting staff so we had no complaints with either dinner or breakfast. In fact both were very tasty with plenty of choice.

So in all a mixed review from us - and BEWARE, if you book a superior room - ask for one that looks like their website promises!!!

Being as it was our 13th annivesary maybe I should have specified a nice room to avoid any bad luck happening :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Claire,

I wanted to thank you for leaving your review on Tripadvisor following your one night stay with dinner included, at Melville Hall Hotel in Room 233 on 11th November.

I was very sorry to see that you found issues with several aspects of your stay and that it did not come up to expectation, especially as you enjoyed your last stay with us and it was your 13th Anniversary too.

Reviewing the facilities we provide in Superior Rooms will be undertaken immediately to ensure that we offer great value for money, as we have done in the past.

The bathroom in Room 233 has just been refreshed with newly painted walls, a quieter extractor fan and attention to the grouting. The bedroom décor and finish is next on the list.

Again I am sorry that your anniversary was spent in a room that did not come up to par, and hope you receive the email I have sent you.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

From the moment we arrived we received a very helpful and friendly reception. The hotel was clean and smart with a pleasant and warm feel to it. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble.
We were entertaining some friends from the US for a few days before they returned home on the QM2. It proved to be an ideal venue for us and we all shared a really relaxing few days there.

The menu was a little limited but there was a enough choice for all and the food was really very good at breakfast and dinner. Our party didn't make use of the spa facilities but a good many other guests did and they seemed to enjoy it all.

Overall, we were really pleased with the hotel and would definitely stay there again.

Ged & Marilyn Layfield
Cheshire

Room Tip: Talk to reception and describe what you would like to have. We chose a Room with a spa bath, our fri...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you Ged and Marilyn for leaving your review on Tripadvisor and choosing Melville Hall to stay with your friends from the USA.

I was really pleased that you enjoyed a warm welcome and found that nothing was too much trouble - just how we like it! I was also pleased you enjoyed the food at Breakfast and Dinner, we are often updating the menu so there are always new local and seasonal dishes available.

I hope you can find the time to come back and see us, it was a pleasure to accommodate you at Melville.

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Just had a weekend with my husband at Melville Hall Hotel & Spa and loved every minute of it. Very friendly staff. Excellent food for the price (except would not order cheeseboard again). Drinks not too expensive. In terms of treatments loved the massage although slightly disappointed with the pedicure. Outdoors jacuzzi was fab and so was the true Finnish sauna (I can tell as I am a Finn!). Shame the indoors pool is a bit small for swimming but I guess you cannot have everything. Great location, too, for walking. I would definitely go back but I am not sure i would go if I were in my 20's, at least out of season, as Sandown might be a bit boring (no nightlife - not that we wanted any but we are in our late 40's...).

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank HanneleD
Carol_Starkey, Public Relations Manager at Melville Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to give feedback following your recent stay at Melville Hall. We are delighted that you chose Melville Hall as your place to stay whilst on the Isle of Wight and thrilled that you loved your stay and found the hotel to be spotless, the staff very friendly and the food excellent. I'm glad you enjoyed the outoor hot tub and that we didn't disappoint a true Finn with the sauna! I'm so glad you enjoyed your massage but sorry you were slightky disappointed with your pedicure. The therapists would have been happy to have had the opportunity to resolve anything you were unhappy with.
The area locally is perfect for walking and I'm glad you were able to enjoy some.
We very much look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Thank you

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
#1 of 9 in Ventnor
Bay Broadway Park Hotel
Bay Broadway Park Hotel
#1 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Melville Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!