“Melville weekend away”

Melville Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I arrived to be great be a lovely person who showed me round the hotel. The room was lovely and comfortable, the restaurant and bar was good vaule for money and the food was excellent. All in all probably the best hotel I have stayed in

• Stayed: January 2014
Steven W, Owner at Melville Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for leaving your review following your stay at Melville Hall Hotel. It was a pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel and I am so pleased you really enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the food as well as finding the bar and restaurant great value for money.

I hope we can welcome you back next time for another visit!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,279)

Reviewed 11 January 2014

The hotel and spa is wonderful, the staff always there to help and assist. We had a lovely hot stone massage which was out of this world.
The food was good for the price and drinks good value.
Rooms were clean and fresh, although a little small but not overly, the jacuzzi in our bathroom was amazing.

We enjoyed in spa and the sauna onsite, we even used the outside jacuzzi which was surprisingly hot.

Do not listen to all the negative posts, I feel for the price and a 3 star hotel you have a little gem here. Do not miss out.
The comments about the beach, whilst a little untidy the views were beautiful, It is not really the hotel's fault.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Missysocks
SteveW-iow, Owner at Melville Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your recent stay with us at Melville Hall.

I was really pleased to see that you enjoyed your visit, the treatments and the food and found the room to be everything you required, including the spa bath. Thank you also for commenting about the negative reviews - we try desperately hard to exceed all our guests expectations and for a 3 star hotel I believe we achieve that at an amazing price, offering fabulous value for money.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Melville Hall Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

To start, hotel staff very helpful and attentive, hotel itself needs a facelift as now dated, rooms comfortable although a little on small side, en-suite have been updated and shower excellent (room 002). We found restaurant menu was the same every night and food was bland and tasteless, service was good, bar was not staffed and you have to ring Abel for the reception to pour your tipple that a if he is not serving in dining room! Now for the Spa. One word, brilliant, we booked a course of treatments, massage, Indian head, facial, Gemma was first class, nice products and lovely calming atmospere, well worth the money. Overall I would award 3 stars.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you John for leaving your review on Tripadvisor following your stay in December with us at Melville Hall.

Really pleased you found the spa to be "brilliant" - exactly what we aim to achieve.

I was disappointed to see that you found the food to not meet your expectations - we have since your visit reviewed the menus and have a new Head Chef who is impressing all our gusts as more recent reviews on here show.

During quiet times the bar is staffed via reception with the bell, but service is always very prompt - I am sincerely sorry you found this an issue during your stay and we will review this process to ensure gusts receive the best possible service we can offer.

Really pleased you found your room, 002, to be comfortable with an excellent shower - we have a pressurised water system that ensures as much hot water as you will need so no cold showers here!

We are constantly updating the hotel, I hope you will see this should we be able to host your return visit in the future.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is my first ever hotel review. I have been visiting the Isle of Wight for years, approximately twice per year I have stayed for a few days at a time for around 13 years. This was possibly my worst stay.

I felt the hotel met my expectations decor wise and this was acceptable for me. I stayed for two nights. The bed linen was clean and the towels clean.

For my first breakfast I ordered a full English and I found a thick dark hair in my mushrooms. The waitress inspected it and asked me if I wanted another breakfast. I declined the offer and had no specific apology. My second breakfast was fried egg on toast. I thought this would be a safe option. The toast was cremated and the egg white was a discoloured brown, I can only assume this is because it was cooked in burnt oil. I decided to make my own toast rather than eat what was served and the waitress did not even come to check if it was ok. I can only assume they knew what the answer would be. I was in disbelief as the waitress should have made more of an effort knowing I had a hair served to me the morning before. I did not have scrambled egg my partner did, he could not eat it and normally demolishes anything, so I guess that was substandard also.

The hotel room was pretty clean however on the first morning after the house maid had been in I had a shower and I seemed to have got someone's soft contact lens attach itself to my toe. That was pretty gross along with the hair. I guess the person who lost it could not see to find it?

As I made a cup of tea in the room and one on the milk portions had turned foul. It was tipped down the toilet immediately as it made me heave. I think this would have been spotted if the bowl was cleaned out one in a while rather than just adding a couple of new ones on top all of the time.

I had one issue with my room which was broken guttering which left a sound of torrential rain in my room. I reported this back on my feedback to the hotel.

The hotel staff had a few polite people and a few that ignored me saying hello and good evening.

The facilities were fine, the sauna ok and the small indoor pool ok. There were white bits floating in the pool I think this may have been bits of grouting.

As I left the hotel I was asked how was my stay as they were then busy seeing to the next person behind me. There was no opportunity for me to resolve my concerns.

In all would I return, no.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chaz A
SteveW-iow, Owner at Melville Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at Melville Hall. We accept all feedback either good or constructive in a positive manner. I was disappointed to see that your stay had not met your expectations particularly in respect to the breakfasts you had. We have been awarded the Breakfast Award previously and are working hard to make sure we can be awarded it again by Quality in Tourism on our next inspection.

Having investigated the breakfast issues with the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager, there has been further staff training to ensure the quality of our freshly cooked breakfasts remains high and is improved further for future guests. Certainly the standard we expect our gusts to receive was not achieved on this occasion.

I was also sorry to hear that one of the milk portions in the complimentary tea making in your room was found to be off. Housekeeping have been reminded to rotate the portions when replenishing them each day as well as taking particular care when cleaning all rooms.

The weather whilst you stayed with us was indeed torrential and stormy, as it has been over the past couple of weeks with extensive flooding and wind damage. Thank you for informing us about the damaged guttering, it has been repaired and replaced.

I am sorry that you will not be returning to Melville Hall to see the improvements we are constantly undertaking, but perhaps you would consider one of our sister hotels, Luccombe Hall or Luccombe Manor Country House Hotels in Shanklin for a future visit.

Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

I chose this hotel as it was on a Travelzoo deal. The staff were very friendly and helpful and as I opted to pay extra for the refurbished four poster bedroom I was happy with the room.
The health spa wasn't the best I've been to but it certainly wasn't the worst. It was kept clean and the additional treatments I paid for were a very good standard. The outside jacuzzi was very good and quite large.
Some of the furnishings were a tad outdated so don't expect a boutique type hotel.
The food was quite good but let down by a limited menu and clearly some food had been reheated. I assume as there were so few guests they didn't have all their kitchen staff at work!
The hotel had a 70's or 80's feel about it and the front of the hotel did look like it was extended during that time.
Overall not a bad experience, but I don't think I'll be going back any time soon!

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at Melville Hall.

I was pleased you enjoyed the facilities, your room, the spa treatments and the food. Whilst the menu is set and does not change daily, it incorporates a choice of 8 different starters, 9 mains and 6 sweets so there is plenty of choice even if you are staying several nights. This seasonal menu changes regularly throughout the year to ensure we make the best use of seasonal produce.

The hotel was originally built around 1870 and Summerhill House as it was then known was extended in the 1960's. Like many Victorian country houses on the island that have become hotels, it has plenty of character, with its Festival Bar featuring memorabilia from the great Isle of Wight Festivals of the late 60's and early 70's. We are currently re-dressing many of the bedrooms to maximise guest comfort, so please do consider us for a future visit. Why not try one of our sister hotels on the Island should you prefer a change - Luccombe Hall and Luccombe Manor Country House Hotels, both on the cliff top at Shanklin.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

My second stay at Melville Hall on a special offer deal, and I certainly hope it will not be the last. Remarkable value for money, including the return ferry fare and 50% off spa treatments at the Utopia Spa housed in the hotel. The treatments were excellent, and we really enjoyed the jacuzzi and temple-like indoor pool, detox boxes, and sauna. Next time I hope to stay in the summer as it was too cold to try the outdoor pool and new large heated outdoor jacuzzi.
A friend and I shared the package, with interlocking rooms. We both slept well and found the beds comfortable.The hotel was clean and warm and the staff were warm and friendly and unfailingly helpful and accommodating. I thought the food was exceptionally good as regards variety, quality and preparation. All in all I left the hotel feeling looked-after and 100 times more relaxed and healthy in body and spirit than I was on arrival.
The hotel is not suitable for those with mobility problems as all bedrooms are upstairs, and though staff will carry your luggage upstairs for you there is no lift. I see this as virtually the only drawback in a Spa hotel - people often visit spas in order to help with ailments and poor mobility, so its a pity one can only visit lovely Melville Hall when one is feeling fit enough to hike up and down stairs.

Room Tip: Probably asking for a room at the end of a corridor would ensure quiet nights such as we had, as Vic...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your lovely review following your second visit to us at Melville Hall Hotel.

I was really pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, its lovely to hear that we catered perfectly for your needs.

We do have 4 ground floor rooms at Melville Hall, these are Superior Grade and are larger rooms featuring either twin or superking size double beds, and one has a lovely 4-poster. I would be more than happy to accommodate you in one of these well appointed rooms on your third visit!

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Had taken up the winter special to get away for a nice quiet weekend. Disappointed to find that the hotel has no soundproofing between floors nor rooms. There was a very loud group staying which kept us awake until after 4am. There was no one around to complain to which made it a very unpleasant experience. My spouse had her ear plugs in and that wasn't enough.
I had booked the four poster superior room, note the bed isn't king size and the duvet is too small for the bed, barely lipping over the edge.
Besides the lack of sleep, the restaurant staff and manager were brilliant, very friendly and helpful! The Saturday reception staff were brilliant.
I wouldn't say that I've had an experience to make us book there again.

Room Tip: Although its an adult hotel, no guarantee on a good nights rest. Maybe it would help a little if you...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chellinrobbo
Steven W, Owner at Melville Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your short stay at Melville Hall Hotel in Room 003 on Tripadvisor. I am really sorry to hear that your sleep was disturbed over the weekend, I am sure you found this most frustrating. We do have a live in Duty Manager who is on call 24 hours a day and is easily contactable, the number to dial being in the Guest Information in your room, for such an eventuality. In cases of noise disturbance, the issues are dealt with swiftly to ensure you have a good nights rest and I can assure you that if you had brought this to our attention at the time, the problem would have been immediately resolved.

Room 003 features a standard double size 4-poster bed and we have duvets in our bedrooms rather than blankets. We are currently upgrading all the bedding so that standard double beds feature king size duvets and king size beds feature super-king size duvets. We are also systematically upgrading our standard double beds to king size doubles as and when they need replacing.

I hope that you can see we value our customer wellbeing and I do hope that should you return to the Island you are able to consider us for a return visit, or alternatively one of our other family run hotels.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
#1 of 9 in Ventnor
Bay Broadway Park Hotel
Bay Broadway Park Hotel
#1 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Melville Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!