“my Short Stay”

Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Sandown
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“my Short Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I can only describe mellville hall hotel as a wonderfull place to stay The staff were faultless the room lovely and clean well presented breakfast lovely service second to none definately will be coming back

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John S
JackieClaridge123, General Manager at Melville Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to give such positive feedback following your recent stay with us at Melville Hall. We are so glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay and could not fault a thing. Thank you for your comments regarding the staff - they really do like to go that extra mile for guests. We very much look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Dusseldorf, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Do not be fooled by the 3 star hotel luxury spa write up! The staff are friendly, the spa facilities good and everything else is not worthy of 3 stars. Breakfast was returned twice and for a detailed review read Arif1977 as I cannot put it any better!

Room Tip: A good start when we drove up the gravelled drive, however it went rapidly down hill! A 'superio...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mandy S
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at Melville Hall. We accept all feedback either good or constructive in a positive manner. I was disappointed to see that your stay had not met your expectations particularly in respect to the breakfasts you had. I was pleased to read that you found the staff friendly and that you enjoyed the spa facilities.
I am sorry that you will not be returning to Melville Hall to see the improvements we are constantly undertaking, but perhaps you would consider one of our sister hotels, Luccombe Hall or Luccombe Manor Country House Hotels in Shanklin for a future visit.
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night at the end of July. The outside pool, hot tub and indoor spa facilities were excellent and I would rate this as a 4 * not a 3 *. The staff were very friendly and helpful offering lots of information on the local area and no request was ever too much trouble.
Breakfast was plentiful and a great selection of soft drinks/cocktails to enjoy by the pool. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a fantastic review following your short break with us at Melville Hall Hotel.
Thank you for saving that you would rate us as a 4 star business, I was pleased you were able to make full use of the leisure facilities and that you found the staff very friendly and helpful just how it should be.
I'm delighted to hear that you would definitely return and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Booked Spa break with my Mum which included breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus ferry (small supplement to go from Portsmouth) in a superior twin room. We had a wonderful greeting and were shown the facilities - we had room 4, which was not a large room, but clean and beds comfy. All the meals were excellent, and actually too generous and we couldn't eat all we had available to us. All the staff at every touch point were very helpful, polite and made us feel like special guests the entire time. The outside pool area is lovely and the indoor detox boxes and wonderful. The only slight disappointment was that you could hear people in the other rooms, and sadly we had some inconsiderate people around us. The first night had a gentleman upstairs who may have been tap dancing, and snored very loudly, plus he had radio on at 6am very loud and it woke us - he did check out that morning though, so we felt no point saying anything. Second night no issues, although the upstairs people moving around did sound like elephants, but they clearly went to bed earlier than us, but third night had a large foreign group all meeting in our next door room and were very loud - however, they left just before midnight and peace returned. Hotel can't be blamed for people being inconsiderate, although it felt a shame that the rooms didn't have better sound-proofing - may have been made worse by fact everyone had their windows open as no air conditioning in rooms, but personally I prefer an open window to stuffy air-conditioning. Hotel was clearly full, but it never felt crowded and never felt we couldn't do what we wanted. Overall, an extremely nice 3 nights, and despite the slight noise irritation, a worth while trip which we both want to do again - will certainly book the superior room again though.

Room Tip: Go for a Superior room, not much extra and worth the money - front of hotel is shaded so rooms stay...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review of your short stay at Melville Hall Hotel on Tripadvisor.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the staff helpful and polite and that they made you feel special throughout your stay, we do pride ourselves on giving good customer service and by your review we are doing just that. The chef will be pleased to read that you enjoyed his meals. I will be sure to pass your kind comments onto the staff. I am really sorry to hear that your sleep was disturbed over the weekend, I am sure you found this most frustrating. I do apologise that you were kept awake, We do have a live in Duty Manager who is on call 24 hours a day and is easily contactable, the number to dial being in the Guest Information in your room, for such an eventuality. In cases of noise disturbance, the issues are dealt with swiftly to ensure you have a good nights rest and I can assure you that if you had brought this to our attention at the time, the problem would have been immediately resolved.
Thank you so much for your recommendation - it is very kind of you and much appreciated. We shall very much look forward to seeing you again on your next visit. Many thanks.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Me and my wife stayed here for a short break in Sandown and thought we were booking into a 3Star hotel with luxury Spa facilities. After some of the recent positive reviews I thought we would be making an informed choice with the benefit of being close to the beach.

We paid £88 per night with breakfast only for a Classic Double Room with a Jetted Tub which seemed good value especially given some of the supporting photos of what the hotel had put up gave the impression the rooms would be of a very good standard.

Well let me start by saying as per the title of this review "this place needs desperate updating"!!
On appearance as you approach the property and its surrounding gardens you're wowed by the draw of this period property which was without doubt its biggest selling point. On reception we observed one couple being very nicely greeted with details of the hotel explained and offered a tour of the property. We were then greeted by another member of the reception team who on observation was a manager of some kind, and found our introduction a much more formal and curt offering unlike that of her colleague which was a shame.

The Room:
Undeterred, we proceeded to our room (Room-115), which was much to my surprise very shabby, tired, and clearly in need of refurbishment. The room was a tiny boxroom with barely enough room to even walk around the bed. The wallpaper was age-stained in areas, all the furniture was extremely tatty, worn and in need of replacement. The TV which had shelf just above it to house the freeview box was nearly falling of the wall and was not properly secured as it has been slided into a couple of wall fixings. As for the bathroom, this was no better. The jetted bath was very tired and dated and the surround panel has cracks all over which had been patched up wtih Polyfilla!! We paid a surcharge to have this jetted bath as part of our room rate which was a waste of money in hindsight as had I know it looks as it did I would not have bothered. The basin unit was deteriorating badly with water damaged edges and the mirror had rust all around it from behind the mirror, there was also an old electric towel rail that had insulating tape roughly wrapped around its electrical connection!!

I was disappointed to find there was also no safe in the room, and also there is no air conditioning which is a must when you consider the vast majority of hotels on a beach location that a 3 star would have that as standard. The key point being, the majority of travellers to Sandown come in the Summer for the beach and hot weather, but would expect if booking a hotel 3star and above to have A/C. On our third day at the hotel we also noticed that the room had not been hoovered which was disappointing, but very noticeable given we had seen there was sand on the carpet from the night before having come back from the beach earlier in the day, so the cleaning standards are variable.

Restaurant/Bar:
The restaurant was only used by us for breakfast and perhaps the only positive as the overall standard was satisfactory. We had light breakkfasts from the buffet tables which were hard to get wrong, but on our final day ordered the cooked English breakfast which was a little underwhelming. It was not very hot and clearly had been dished up from here it had perhaps been sitting for a long time on a low heat withonly the poached eggs showing they had been cooked fresh. The staff in the restaurant were friendly though. The bar area was slightly different. We only used it once andI was served by the elderly waiter who was looking after the bar that given evening. I was made to wait for a good few minutes as he completed some paperwork at the bar telling me he would be with me in a few minutes. Not what I expected! he didnt have much bar experience as my pint was poured in such a way as though he was doing for the first time with a massive amount of head without tilting the glass when pulling the pint. The tables in this room were equally tired with varnish peeling and bubbling from the tables!! Given the experiences of the room I wasn't particularly surprised at this.

Spa:
We used this once which was fairly good, although it bit frustrating that we had to exchange cards at reception to retrieve robes and towels for the facility which once you have used your towels and robes (now wet) then have to return over the counter to whoever is at reception. Not very practical, woul dbe better off having a designated Towel bin, or just offering the robes and towels as standard to all rooms.

Overall a very underwhelming experience for what I paid. To be fair I don't blame the staff as the owners of the hotel really need to invest in the hotel and its staff refurbishing the rooms to a better standard and ensuring the hotel is managed to better standard giving the team a hotel they can be proud off. From looking at the other guests we could see the vast majority of guests who stay are elderly and/or not from a major city like London where they would perhaps not be aware of what standard to expect so may not know any better given our encounter. I hope they improve as on the face of it they have a lovely exterior which needs to be matched internally be in line with a 3 star hotel which perhaps is clinging on to its rating only by the fact they have an in-house spa.

Room Tip: Try and stay somewhere closer to the beach if you can. If you do stay here avoid Room 115!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ArifB1977
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

My sister and I got an absolute bargain break! £89pp for lunch, 3 course dinner, breakfast, ferry crossing and £35 towards a spa treatment!
We had a wonderful time. I upgraded my treatment to a full body hot stone massage which was wonderful, one slight muggle but resolved super quick by the management.
The facilities where lovely, the indoor pool very refreshing and the outside area was very pretty.

The food was delicious, drinks lovely and well priced for a hotel.

Considering the cost of the break the value was incredible. All the staff are lovely, especially the lovely chap behind the bar. Very well trained waiting staff, everyone seemed very happy.

I really can't praise this hotel enough, although somewhat old fashioned in appearance the treatments and facilitates are bang up to date and the menu is modern as well.

Highly recommended and will certainly be returning!!!

Stayed July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to give such positive feedback following your recent stay with us at Melville Hall. We are so glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay and could not fault a thing. I was pleased to read that you found the staff to be lovely, we do pride ourselves on giving great customer service and from your wonderful review we are doing just that. I will be sure to pass on your great comments to the staff. We very much look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.
Kind Regards,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed her for valentines done & stay booked a superior room with sparkling wine chocolates rose petals
Was very disappointed with the room size Jung size bed was 2 beds joined together , room was a normal double size right by main door way. Room upstairs could hear they're TV & they woke us up at 4am laughing & stomping around.
Dinner was terrible 1 dry pork loin chop minute vegetables
Cost me £189 for this stay.
Bar drinks are way too expensive & the health dos very small.
I have complained I was given just 15% off another stay , we feel £35 refund is better.
I don't like leaving negative feedback but this valentine Dine & stay was not as advertised
The chef needs to make sure good portions are bigger as they are child size & paying £189 for one night you expect a decent size room.
Staff are helpful & it's clean that's the positives .

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Iowtripper
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review five and a half months after you stayed.
I do apologise that you left us feeling disappointed with your valentines break, I noticed that you were offered 15% discount off another break as a token of the hotels goodwill gesture, Unfortunately this does make it hard for me to look into the issues raised as it has been so long I will do my hardest to rectify the issues you have raised.
I am pleased that you found the staff helpful and i will be sure to pass your comments over to them.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
#1 of 31 in Sandown
Trouville Hotel
Trouville Hotel
#3 of 31 in Sandown

Been to Melville Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!