“Very Pleasant”

Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Woking
“Very Pleasant”
Reviewed 1 June 2009

We booked this trip because of the special offer with 'Zoo' - excellent offer, two nights, two evening meals, two breakfasts and return Red Funnel crossing - £99 per person. Half term with my 15 year old Son and Mother - excellent opportunity to visit Isle of Wight, although been many times before.

Hotel was very accommodating, our triple room was excellent, although had thick dust on the table pedestal legs, but apart from that, ticked all the boxes. The best praise must be given to the chef, who turned out exceptional food and was appreciated by everyone we spoke to. Well done Melville Hall - please pass these thanks onto your chef.

The hotel has an indoor and outdoor pool with outside seating area around the pool. The lounge area and dining rooms are lovely and very nicely furnished. Parking was not a problem even in the evening when everybody had returned from their day out. The reception staff were very pleasant. A thoroughly enjoyable three days and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Triptrav

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
london
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I took my 3 daughters in their early 20's for a pampering weekend. We had a lovely weekend. The staff were polite, efficient and very helpful. I was upgraded to a superior room which I shared with my youngest daughter 20 years old and we loved it, We were on the ground floor, a huge bed and a bottle of chilled wine waiting. My twins aged 22, were upstairs and not upgraded (and their bathroom was bigger than ours) but they were also very pleased with their room. We live in London , (not together) and the idea was to relax and be pampered, so we booked out treatments in advance (a must) I had a reflexology, full body massage, facial and pedicure. and the girls had also booked 3 treatments each. I must say after speaking to them all that it depends on who you get as to how good the treatments are, but we all had a good experience. I loved the spa, we spent our time relaxing and catching up. The outside swimming pool didn't look that clean, but it wasn't the best weather when we went. We explored some of the island and met some very friendly people and saw some amazing scenery and beaches, a truely beautiful island. The food at the hotel was wonderful, cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt and a full english for breakfast plus a few other options and a the evening meal was to die for, even my vegetarian daughter who doesn't like mushrooms loved the food (complements to the chef) I had the Lamb shank on the first day and the special of duck on the second night. Delicious and beautifully presented and served. Well done. I am not easily impressed. The waiters were fabulous as well. I got the break through travelzoo for £125.00 per person and booked the treatments (extra) on their website before we went. I can honestly say we all had a lovely break. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. I can not comment on the nightlife on the island because we went out of season and was not what we went for but I think like all holiday resorts it would be better to go in the summer months if that is what you are looking for,
My only critisisms would be; it would have been better if there was a gym/excercise facility, they should offer a pedicure and manicure combination. Also they did not put out the cookies and fruit as mentioned on the website until reminded. But the staff sorted it out immediately when we asked them. All in all a great couple of days.

• Stayed May 2009
Horsham
Reviewed 27 May 2009

I was not sure what to expect as my friend who made the booking had a few problems with the rooms we booked and the treatment times were changed before arriving so a bit disappointed before we had even got to the Island. However on arrival everything was in place, the reception staff were very pleasant and efficient and from that moment we had a ball. It was a 40th birthday treat for one of my friends so we wanted the occasion to meet her expectations and I have to say they more than did that for all four of us. The dining room in which we had our meals was lovely and the food was cooked to perfection, again the staff were helpful and the service 1st class. We made use of the lounge after our dinner and the barman couldn't do enough to help.
Thankyou for a most enjoyable weekend and I really hope to visit again and have already been telling all my friends about it.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 27 May 2009

Had a great time at the Melville Hall Hotel and would go again.
We were made very welcome by the staff and all were very polite and there were plenty of parking spaces and the room we were allocated was great with nice decor, nice bed etc. We had use of the spa, sauna & pool too which at the end of the day was very welcome to relax in. The hotel is only 10 minutes from the beach so was nice to go for a walk along the beach after a great evening meal in the hotel.
Would definitely return to the Hotel again as we had such a nice relaxing time whilst we were there

Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2009

We got an excellent deal here through "Zoo" and after a few recent trips we've made were concerned that it might be a disappointment, we paid £200 (inc crossing for car) half board 2 nights - total (ie not per person) room was pretty good, food excellent (cured ham with a nice tomato relish with olives - duck leg to follow, pork loin apple mash, roast cod etc ... ) good breakfast, real fresh fruit salad, full English - no problems, good wine selection with several house wines at about £15 - good spa sauna splash pool outdoor pool .... whatever, check out their site, anyway we were impressed .... anybody wanting more specific comments about our few days on the IOW reply or pm mr .... Roger

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2009

My partner took me away for my 30th Birthday and if im honest we weren’t in the correct age bracket for the island or the hotel. The Hotel was pleasant, but the rooms awful (our room 237), bathroom was moldy and the one shelf in the bathroom was covered in rust, the bed was lumpy and the floor dirty, you dont tend to spend too much time in your room so this didn’t dampen our trip. The food was excellent and the staff were great, always pleasant and very helpful. We forgot to book treatments but did use the sauna and small pool everyday. I wouldn’t go back but for a cheap break you can’t really complain. The Isle of Wight itself was dull, stuck in a time warp and if your thirty or under i wouldn’t go unless you like walking, driving and walking.. the Needles was a joke, the zoo was nice, some pretty cool Tigers and excitable monkeys, The garlic farm looked half dead and a few other places we ventured didn’t look welcoming so we didn’t bother.. We went on a fishing trip with ocean blue which was great, the skipper was a nice guy who knew all the history of the Island, it was good fun and comes recommended. I would recommend the place to my mother and might venture back for my Golden wedding anniversary.

SteveW-iow, Owner at Melville Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2009
Many thanks for your constructive review. We are undergoing a program of refreshing decor and fitings at Melville throughout this year, improving guests experience. the issues raised in your review about your room have been remedied.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the food whilst with us and the staff are indeed a credit to the hotel.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the future and perhaps you can try one of our upgraded rooms with spa bath and king size bed.
West Country
Reviewed 6 May 2009

My sister and I booked a short break to celebrate her birthday. We were very impressed by the helpfullness and politeness of the staff and the excellent value for money which the hotel provided. We had not visited the Isle of Wight before and the location gave us a great base from which to explore.
This is a small hotel which gives personal service and we have no hesitation in recomending it to others.

• Stayed April 2009
SteveW-iow, Owner at Melville Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2009
many thanks for your kind review and for recommending us to others, it is very much appreciated.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#7 of 52 in Shanklin
Bay Broadway Park Hotel
Bay Broadway Park Hotel
#2 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Melville Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!