“family hotel”
Review of Sands Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sandown
Sands Hotel
Ranked #4 of 31 Sandown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 March 2013

just back from sands hotel sandown isle of wight had a good week
in a excellent family run hotel very comfortable rooms and friendly staff
and good food location on sea front at one end of sandown just 5 minuts walk
to shops and other amenitys like pubs and coffee shops

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank tom w

Reviewed 25 February 2013

We have just returned from a weekend staying at the Sands Hotel in Sandown. We were met by Lee who was obviously expecting us as he knew our names immediately. He then took our bags up to our room while Shauna explained restaurant times etc to us. The welcome was very friendly and made us feel very welcome. Our room was a lovely surprise as we had a small balcony which overlooked the beach, something we weren't expecting! The whole Hotel was spotlessly clean, all the staff were very friendly and accomodating, and it was warm and cosy, a great plus as it was minus 5 outside!! The bar was large with plenty of seating for all, and live entertainment each night. There were also cheap drinks available between certain hours, encouraging us to stay in the Hotel and not ventrue elsewhere to spend our money.
Was there a downside? Well if there was it was the food, which was very uninspiring, especially to 'foodies' like ourselves. Tinned soup, chicken and chips, frozen peas and sweetcorn, and apple pie and custard for dessert. It was all very beautifully cooked, not under or over done, and my chicken was moist, just a bit plain. We also felt a bit rushed, as we had to order our evening meal at breakfast in the morning, it was all ready to go when we arrived. I think the evening meal took about 30 mins to eat and be cleared away and that included coffee. I suspect in the height of summer, with two sittings this is a perfect way of making sure everyone gets to eat at a reasonable time.
Having said that, we really enjoyed our stay and Lee and Shauna couldn't have done more. I would recommend the Hotel for a break to our friends.

Room Tip: I can only go by our room which overlooked the swimming pool and beaches and was perfect in February...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Linda J
Reviewed 17 January 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at The Sands Hotel on 3 Occasions and have always found it to be a very pleasant place to stay, the owners Lee & Shauna go out of their way to ensure your happy with everything, the staff are very friendly, entertainment is acceptable, food is more than suffice, so all in all a good all rounder !
I shall have no hesitation in returning to this Hotel !

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank leegee1
Reviewed 11 September 2012

A warm welcome from Shauna & Lee, bags taken to my room, and good food also quick service and friendly staff, entertainment was ok , I had a single room which was clean and tidy with "no out look" as some rooms inevitable are,
the only downside was the tiny on suite which if you sat on the throne the wash basin was on your lap and your right shoulder was in the shower.
But I would stay there again "just not in that room"

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank huxley7
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We stayed on the bank holiday week in August for national scooter rally . Shower in bedroom was either red scolding hot or freezing no in between nightmare . Rooms very small but ok. Cleanness could do with being more thorough as it was not that clean in my room but I have stayed in worse . Breakfast was very very small also you could not get your own cereal or juice so you got one little glass and that was it , the cooked breakfast was big enough to fill up my 3 year old daughter . It was tiny first time I've ever stayed anywhere where I thought breakfast was so small after breakfast we was still all hungry , I did asked for some more from waitress on one occasion but it was declined . Plus side staff really friendly , bar was very good as well .

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank nick s
Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

Spacious anld clean, this hotel will make you go home with a smile. I would recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Termination
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed for an organised long weekend by coach and I must say that you cannot fault the care and attention Shauna and Lee and every single one of the staff gave. Nothing was too much trouble and accommodating the dietary needs of my partner was exceptional. Everyone was made to feel so very welcome right from the start and were waved off like long lost friends on departure.

For only a 2 star establishment, it goes the extra mile all the time, sure, some of the room facilities are shall we say 'compact' and possibly the style of menu and ordering arrangements could be further developed, but for value for money, cleanliness and friendliness you cannot wish for better.

There's a well stocked and efficiently run bar that provides first class appropriate entertainment and the best prices on the Island!

The whole package was a variation from our normal holidays, but given the facilities and company that we shared, we were so pleasingly enamoured! If the Sands have any availability, give it a try. You could do a lot worse.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends