“Closed”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandown
St. Catherine's Hotel
Ranked #27 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Isle Of Wight
“Closed”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This hotel is not trading.
I will re post if and when they re open .

I have to write at least two hundred characters before I can inform you all of this, it's really annoying having to do to drone on.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rawtalent

Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We arrived at St Catherines for a 4 night stay.... All seemed ok when we got there - yes, there's not much parking (but generally if we were blocked in by other guests - they were polite when asked to move - the only down side was when we wanted to venture out at 10:30pm and realised we were blocked in and thought it was too late to start waking people up, so we had to stay in!)
The guy who checked us in was polite and helpful. Our room (at the end of an EXTREMELY WARM floral wallpapered corridor - nice!!!!) was like stepping back to the 1970s. Everytihng was just very dated. The 'toilet cupboard' had a toilet and shower in it - the door to the shower didn't open fully as there wasn't enough room with the toilet there. The room had a double bed, and although there was planty of storage the room was VERY small... there wasn't really enough room for two people - there was space for one person to walk round the edge of the bed - and we had to move into corners to let each other pass.... funny at the start of the holiday, then just annoying by the end!!!
Then came the first night's sleep..... not good!!!!! When we climbed into the bed - it began to squeak, and it was VERY lumpy. After a night tossing and turning on the protuding springs, my hips actually felt bruised. We were also woken in the early hours of the morning by the smoke alam 'beeping' because it needed the battery changing! (Not the hotel's fault, but we were then woken up at 7:45am by workmen digging up the road outside our window!) Not the best night's sleep ever! We then tried the shower... oh dear!!!! I stood underneath the TRICKLE and wondered if it had stopped.... the water stream was SO light, that as it hit my head, my hair absorbed it all, and the rest of my body, including my feet, remained bone dry. It took me a HALF an HOUR to shower (normally it's 5 -10mins!!) the water just wasn't powerful enough to rinse off the soap suds!!!!!!! I even unscrewed the shower head to try and shower under a 'hose pipe' but this just made the water cold!!
We went down for breakfast and again was met with a scene from time-gone-by! Very dated decor, and frills and lace everywhere! Breakfast was VERY basic. A tiny portion of cereals, followed by a very bog-standard English breakfast - nothing special, cheap ingredients (cheap sausage and tinned mushrooms!), but I guess it was hot!!
I went to the reception to inform the staff of the battery in the smoke alarm, and to ask for an extra duvet to put under the sheet on the bed to try and disguise the lumps! I would like to say that I was VERY polite - and meerly requested an extra duvet because the matress was quite lumpy - I didn't demand she come to the room and run her hand over the matress where she would feel the springs.... but I was made to feel like I'd requested something impossible!! The lady I spoke to said she couldn't guarantee they had any extra duvets, and she couldn't change the bed (I hadn't asked her to!!!), she was VERY defensive and I actually felt a bit annoyed!
Our hotel was used as a base... and to be honest we were grateful to leave it on a morning and a bit gutted when we had to return at night! By the time our last night came we couldn't wait to get home to a comfy bed and a bit of space! We both ached and didn't feel refreshed! We won't be returning and wouldn't recommend it! There are LOTS of hotels/B&B's in this area - which SHOULD mean they are fighting for your business! I would DEFINITELY recommend staying somewhere else...... Sorry St Catherines.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lizzyj04

Travellers are raving about these Sandown hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2010

The hotel is rather dated but that did not stops it to be generally nice. It is halfway between the train station and seaside, which for a beach town may not be the best but is sufficient. Rooms are tidy and clean, although the decor is clearly dated it is well kept. Staffs are very friendly and I agree with the previous review that they try (and succeeded) in making everything the best. I am surprised by the quality of the hotel, given it is pretty low down TA's rankings, and certainly think that it is underrated.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank 5x24
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2008

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and loved it! The hotel itself is beautiful and the gardens and outside areas are very well kept. The rooms are lovely and very clean. Plenty of wardrobe/drawer space. The walls are relatively thin though but we were lucky as the people in the room next door were elderly & quiet! The owners are really helpul & work hard to maintain the high standards. Great location, lovely staff and all in all a lovely experience in the Isle of Wight.

• Liked — Cleanliness, location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Thin Walls, shower
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Br0nzeG0ddess
England
Reviewed 8 September 2006

We have just spent four nights at St Catherine's with our dog, who stayed free of charge. First impressions were good. The gardens and public areas were well maintained and clean. We had not expected the best of rooms as we had a dog, but it was more than adequate. The carpet was a bit stained, but having a dog we didn't mind that it wasn't new Axminster! The room was very clean, the bathroom small but had bath and shower over.
The staff were very friendly, the waiting on staff charming.
The only negative things I could comment on were that it was not always possible to get a parking space in the small carpark. The road was also noisy, but after the first night we got use to it. The size of the breakfast could have been larger too, but was well cooked. These are only minor complaints, however, overall we enjoyed our stay and would return.

• Liked — Dog friendly
  • Disliked — Size of breakfast
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank glamourpuss50