“Good experience”

Merrie Garden
Ranked #21 of 54 Restaurants in Sandown
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Good experience”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I went here a couple of days ago with my mother and having seen the bad reviews left on here we were a little bit sceptical, however the food is far from frozen, it was cooked fresh and the potatoes were lovely and fluffy! not to mention the generous portion of chicken we had. We had roast chicken a very generous 1/4 chicken we were also pleasantly surprised that they gave us Yorkshire puddings.(something restaurants only normally do with beef) I enjoyed the experience we had.

I would love to see more roast potatoes next time on my dish however that's really all I could add for improvement.

I think that the reviews left have been very unfair and hopefully this honest review will lighten spirits and give you confidence in giving Merrie Garden a go!

We will definitely be back and we enjoyed our meal so much that we left a tip.

If your looking for an establishment that offers outdoors space, and a nice beer with some nice English classics then Merrie Garden is worth the visit.

• Visited August 2014
MerrieGardenIOW, Relief Assistant Manager at Merrie Garden, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you very much for your recent feedback on us here at the Merrie Gardens, we are glad you enjoyed your recent visit and look forward to seeing you again soon :)

We love the GIANT yorkies too :)

London, United Kingdom
“Don't believe the hype.”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Was in Sandown in July this year. Everytime we drove passed this pub it was always busy so on our last day we decided to eat here.

Firstly we had to wait 1 hour and 10 mins, (the Maitre'D said it would be 30-40 mins) before we could get a table and we arrived at 6.15pm. When we were eventually seated we ordered straight away. It was very busy and there was a birthday party. The Maitre'D was hopeless. Even when tables were free she tried to tell us they were pre-booked even though they were dirty, but when cleaned there was no signage on them to indicate this. Other people who were waiting also noticed this. We eventually spoke to a waitress who seated us at a table otherwise we'd still be waiting and the kids were so hungry. We had to wait about 25-30 minutes for the starter. We ordered a platter and it was nice, loved the wings and breaded mushrooms.

We then had to wait for a considerable time for the main but we had drinks. Have to say I was disappointed when it arrived, the portions were average, the lasagne was small. The kids meal was just right. The food was okay but definately NOT outstanding, typical pub food. Waiter/ess service was haphazard, brought food but no cutlery. No followup when food arrived, we had to chase 2 waiteress before we could order more drinks. Don't know if it was down to the fact it was busy, which if this was the case they need more staff.

Don't think I would go back, it was not worth the initial wait and only the starter was value for money and tasted ok.

I would recommend a proper restaurant in Sandown opposite the beach instead. I've eaten at these restaurants before and the food and service are better value and taste great.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank eseer1001
Thank you for recent feedback on us here at the Merrie Garden, we were very sorry to hear that you felt we let you down on this occasion and would love to discuss matters further please feel free to contact us on 01983 405 997.

Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
“A Terrible place.”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We went to this restaurant last Sunday whilst on holiday with our 2 granddaughters one of whom has a diary intolerance and when we asked if this could be catered for the waitress did not understand what we were talking about. . There are much much better places in the area. The staff are awful and need training properly, our food was brought to the table without any cutlery and when I asked for some the young lad said" oh year I forgot" it felt like disorganised chaos. Food was poorly presented and dumped onto the plates. We have a same brand of restaurant near our home which is 1000% better than here. We would never ever go here again

3 Thank John R
Thank you very much for taking the time to compelete a review of us here at the Merrie Garden, we are deeply sorry that you felt we let you down on this occasion we would love to discuss matters further with you please feel free to contact us at any time on 01983 405 997

“miscommunication,no food,long wait,”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Popped in to this restaurant on Sunday afternoon while on holiday .What a big mistake.
When both me and my wife ordered the gammon we were told there was no pineapple (why was hawaiian gammon on the specials board) then when ordering my eldest daughters meal we had to change it twice before she settled on an adults smaller meal (fish and chips but not before the guy on the till asked the assistant manager if they had any )
30 minutes later the same guy comes to our table to tell us they have no fish left..(unbelievable)
when finally the meals arrived 30 minutes later the food was ok no more than that and little on the small size...
Maybe ordering desserts things would improve (Wrong)
because of the recent experience when we ordered we made sure everything was available ..
20 minutes later a rather sheepish member of staff told us one of the kids desserts was no longer available(this was getting so bad it was laughable)
finally when all the desserts arrived my youngest daughters hot pudding was so overcooked it was like a brick
Needless to say this is the worst restuarant I have ever set foot in

1 Thank david t
Hello,

We are so very sorry that your recent visit to the Merrie Gardens wasnt as successfully as it should of been. We would love to discuss matters further with yourself, if at all possible please contact us on 01983 405 997. Thank you very much for taking the time.

Leighton buzzard
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Booked table for 7.30 - starters missing. Main meal didn't come until nearly 9.30 - again incomplete. Helped ourselves to cutlery, Sundaes came in a bowl as there were no clean glasses. Other niggly things that I won't bore you with. We did get a discount but some of the staff totally let themselves and the restaurant down by cheering as we left. I have NEVER felt so disrespected by restaurant staff in my life!

1 Thank KimSJames
Hello,

We are so sorry to hear about this and the way you feel. We would love to discuss matters further so that we can sort out the issue in hand. please if you can call us on 01983 405 997 so we can discuss matters.