All reviews a stones throw nice stay room was clean linda hosts shanklin breakfast hairdryer ferry
Reviewed 22 September 2018

Linda and Stephen provided a very warm welcome and are excellent hosts. They are friendly in such a way that although you arrive as a stranger you leave as a friend as though you have known them for years.
Excellent room. Very comfortable bed. Great breakfasts.
Small shop with guides and gifts to buy plus homemade cards of wildlife photographed by Linda.
Plenty of interesting and assorted decorations, paintings etc. in breakfast room and lounge to look at.
They are knowledgeable about the Island and offer advice or ideas of places to visit and see, plus also what has improved (or not!) since you last visited an attraction.
Excellent position with stunning sea views, coastal path at the end of the garden and Shanklin and Sandown just a leisurely stroll away. Plus Train Station at Lake and bus stops just moments away.
Highly recommend. Could not find any faults....will have to definitely stay there again to try and find some as I do not like writing totally positive reviews!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Stephen H, Owner at Haytor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2018

Thank you for your lovely review Jimmy. We are glad you had a good stay with us & were able to relax & enjoy your stay.
We look forward to seeing you again.
Linda & Stephen.

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

I had to visit the Isle of Wight under very sad circumstances. I expected to spend most of my time in my room...However, this was not to be. Within an hour of arriving, I had actually forgotten about my situation and felt as though I was among lifelong friends. The hosts were made for this industry! They’re extremely warm, friendly, kind, talkative and very funny, I was delighted to spend time getting to know them. They’re also very knowledgeable and provided lots of useful tips for getting the most out of my stay.
The house itself is very spacious, well-lit, clean and extremely comfortable, providing all the essentials and lots of extras. The garden is stunning, and the wild poppies were a particular highlight. The house is also conveniently located by the beach and boasts the most breathtaking views.
The breakfast was delicious and the portion sizes were very generous. I was also treated to a lovely cheese board.
I had not been to the Isle of Wight before, but thanks to the delightful hospitality of the hosts, I will definitely be visiting again!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Stephen H, Owner at Haytor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We aim to please as you know. It was in sad circumstances they we met but it was a pleasure to meet you & we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

This has been our fifth time here and we still enjoy it just as much. The breakfast is always delicious and the views are wonderful. We watched a moonrise over the sea which was spectacular. As always, we will be back again soon.

Stayed: June 2017
Reviewed 29 August 2017

Had a nice stay here.

Hosts were friendly and talkative, room was clean, well sized and tastefully decorated. We enjoyed having the buzzing town of Sandown nearby, although it is not so close that the noise keeps you awake at night. Breakfast was great - plentiful and tasty and we also liked the decoration of the breakfast room. Excellent value for money.

Only slight downside was the mattresses were a bit hard and the hairdryer cut out after a short period of use and I'm not sure why.

Still, such issues were few and far between so overall a very positive and enjoyable stay and to be recommended.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2017

10 lovely days with Linda and Stephen at Haytor lodge, warm friendly family welcome.
Great room with view out over cliff top and garden, watched the thunder storm most of night- wow. Lovely choice for breakfast, Stephen cooks a lovely fresh breakfast for each person as they order with Linda waiting on.
Plenty of local knowledge and helpful advice. Nice garden to sit in if you had enough of travelling.
Cliff walks in evenings towards Sandown or Shanklin relaxing way to end day

Room Tip: ask for cliff top view
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple