“13th visit and still loving it!”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Devizes, United Kingdom
“13th visit and still loving it!”
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We look forward to our weeks holiday in the IOW and staying at The Sandringham!
We have got to know the staff over the years and have found them most efficient and polite.
Adrian, the restaurant manager is particularly friendly and an excellent role model for the restaurant staff. The food is really delicious and there is always a good choice on the menu. We love all the fresh vegetables, the puddings, the breakfasts etc, etc!!
We always have a family room facing the sea where we can relax and enjoy the views. It's fabulous! The room is always clean and and the ladies who come in each day work hard to ensure that we have everything we need.
The hand held showers are a bit of a nuisance but we understand that lots of bathrooms are going to be upgraded later this year. This will be a great bonus for the hotel and will also make things easier for the guests!
We have recommended this hotel to many people and will continue to do so. We feel the value for money would be hard to beat anywhere else, especially when you take into consideration the wonderful location and the fact that the ferry charges are included in the price of your stay.
The hotel is comfortable, clean and right on the beach. We go to sleep every night listening to the sea! Bliss!
Thanks to all you hard-working staff at The Sandringham!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jayne a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
West Sussex
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We have been to the Sandringham many times in the last 4 years and we will be back again many times, reception staff are lovely, Beverley and Richard very good, evening meal is good and breakfast is ample. Yes the bathrooms need updating, but we read about them before we booked a few years ago, so went to the hotel with an open mind and knew what to expect, they serve their purpose. We always have a superior balcony room as the sea view is breath taking. My one moan which was reported to reception staff at the time is SMOKING.I know in the folder in the room it says no smoking on balconies, but I really do not think people read this. Firstly I think the folder should be out on the dressing table not tucked away in a tiny draw. Unfortunately we had smokers either side of us this time, which was hideous, we had to keep shutting our door, which made us all extremely hot. I suggest that No Smoking signs be put on the pillars on the balconies. To keep watching a lighted cigarette be thrown onto the roof below was extremely worrying. Also I think if you are to allow smoking on the balcony from the lounge, (which I feel is a shame) there should be signs on the door asking them if they are to smoke to shut the doors behind them.We had one lady who insisted on standing in the doorway puffing her smoke into the lounge, I got up to shut the door but she arrogantly opened it again. My Mum has a lung disease and passive smoking is not good. Any how even after my moan, we will all be back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2011

i have stayed at the sandringham everytime i have been to the isle of white with my family and i literally stayed there every year since i was 3. i have been on many holidays including a 2 week cruise around the med and many other 5* accomodations and the sandringham and the isle of white will always be my faveourite holiday destination ever. i absolutley love it. the staff at the sandringham helped my mum & dad find me and my three sisters a good deal whilst we were on quite a low budget, when i was younger. some of these reviews have made me laugh as they are as far from what the hotel is actually like. i'll never forget the times i spent there.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2011

! found the 5* customer service offered by all the staff at The Sandringham Hotel a brilliant.
From the time of phoning to book, the call back the following day to confirm a couple of details that did not seem quite right to the 'thinking' office staff to check out, the staff thought of the guests first and foremost.
My husband and I took our three young grandchildren (4,5,&7) for the weekend (rained most of the weekend) we love the Isle of Wight and although the Sandringham is only a 2* hotel, and yes we hated the carpeted bathroom. The Sandringham offered a good old fashioned seaside holiday, we stayed in a Sea View Balcony Room with plenty of space, plenty of coat hangers in a large wardrobe, there was also plenty of drawer space. Tea & coffee making facilities.
Having read previous reviews I took a fan with us, which I was very pleased about as the room could have been rather stuffy without it.
We all loved the swimming pool and was pleasantly surprised that we could use it after we had checked out, towels were supplied from reception for the pool.
We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis as we love to try different restaurants, on the Friday night we set of to try the local restaurants and they were all fully booked, tried to book for the Saturday again booked!
We ended up on the Friday at our old favourite The Seaview Hotel restaurant in Seaview a great meal as always, Saturday we went into Shanklin and had another lovely meal at The Village Inn restaurant.
Breakfast was in a large airy dining room, and freshly cooked to order, apart from the chef's insistance on 'fried bread' even though we said 'No' to it, it was a good start to the day. I was really impressed with the young waiter who whilst at another table clearing it, heard my young grandson ask me for some water, had no sooner heard than reappeared with glass and a jug of water without me even asking him. The breakfast I fail to see as being small as some have suggested as to start juice or prunes or a huge bowl of orange segments, followed by porridge or cerals and then a cooked breakfast with as much toast and marmalade as you can eat (the brown toast was lovely and not some cheap bread) the coffee was lovely, it came with hot a pot of hot milk as standard, much to my grandaughter's delight who also shared in the hot milk.
The staff and other residents were all child friendly, the kids had a fantastic time and cannot wait to go back, a real old fashioned seaside holiday with 5* service from one and all, the age mixture of staff was great and seldom experienced these days.
The location is great right on the beach, even better if the sun shines, Sandown pier with its bowling, rides and crazy golf is a huge hit with the kids.
The beds were really comfortable, lovely deep mattresses, the room clean and comfortable, tv small but then if you are on holiday you are out and about not sitting in your room all day. The balcony door allowed you to open it as a window but remain locked to allow air to freely circulate the room and with the fan we took it meant we all had a good nights sleep.
Enjoy!!

Room Tip: Take a fan if going in the summer, Deluxe Balcony room was spacious and well equiped, - bathroom not...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank EHG-BOS
sandringhamiow, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Thank you so much for your online review - we welcome all feedback and use customer comments to improve and refine the service we offer.
We work hard to ensure customer satisfaction and our aim is to ensure that our customers have a relaxing and enjoyable stay on our lovely holiday Island.
We look forward to perhaps seeing you again sometime at the Sandringham!
Great Torrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We went to the Isle of Wight to visit relatives, we had stayed at the 'Sandringham Hotel' in 1996ish?. can't quite remember the exact year, but remembred we enjoyed our stay, Went again in December 2010 for a 3 day special offer,Lovely Room,excellent service in the Dining Room and pleasant staff from reception to bar staff and chambermaids,Good choice of food on the Menu, We hope to go again this August this year

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your time with us at the Sandringham.
I will of course pass your comments on to our hard working team of staff, all of whom are dedicated to ensuring our customers have an enjoyable and relaxing stay on our lovely Island.
Perhaps we will see you again sometime at the Sandringham!
Birmingham ,England
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We stayed at the Sandringham on half-board basis for 3 nights. The advertised cost of a standard room was £58 B& B or £63 half-board per person per night. Strangely, the advertised supplements for breakfast and dinner were about £8 and £18.00 respectively. As there was no tariff advertised for room only, we wondered if those prices were to let guests know how good the "package" deals were! They aim at a target market to which we do not belong, so I do not wish to insult either the hotel or the many guests who fit that market profile, and who return regularly, by being overly critical of what is on offer. We should have checked more thoroughly before booking. This is therefore as objective as I can be:
The hotel is situated right on the beach front on Sandown Esplanade. The public areas (lounge, bar, ballroom, restaurant) are clean and comfortable, with plenty of space. There is a leisure area but we did not visit this. They put on entertainment about 3 times per week but we did not use this as it was of no interest to us.
The bedroom in which we stayed was basically clean and comfortable, though there was only a bath (no shower), and the bathroom was carpeted - a hygiene sin as far as we are concerned. The TV was small and could only receive 4 terrestrial analogue stations.

The restaurant is silver service. The food was a very basic 3 courses and coffee: e.g. 1st course melon, soup, pate etc; 2nd course meat or fish with vegetables; 3rd course ice cream, apple pie, cheese and biscuits.I had the fisherman's pie on the first evening and asked the waiter if there was a prize if I found any fish. In fact I found three small pieces so would not have won. I believe they offer a vegetarian option. Breakfasts were standard English offerings, and were adequate, though the sausage was of poor quality on the fried breakfast menu in my opinion. We should have obtained more information before booking, so I can only recommend other fellow travellers to learn from this if they prefer food with a little more flair than this type of hotel offers and not go for the half-board option, tempting as the headline price might seem. The level of service throughout the hotel was excellent - no complaints whatsoever.

Room Tip: Go for a "Superior" room if you want a sea view and a little more sapce. Balcony rooms are...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David95
Thank you for your comments and I am sorry to learn that you feel you did not "fit in" with our other customers.
We work really hard to ensure customer satisfaction and if something is wrong we prefer to have the opportunity to rectify things during a guest's stay so that the customer can get on with enjoying a relaxing and carefree holiday on our lovely Island.
We do not target any specific group - we advertise in the national press and in the Isle of Wight Guide and we cater for couples, families, and groups from all walks of life. We always have a healthy mix of guests and this is one of the main selling points of our hotel.
We are situated right on the seafront in Sandown and the views from the seafacing rooms and bedrooms are glorious. Our bedrooms are clean and comfortable abd all have ensuite facilities, the majority of which consist of a bath and not a shower at the present time, although we do have plans to install some rooms with showers and wet rooms in due course.
At present we are only able to receive 4 channels on our televisions. Channel 5 is presently unavailable in the area and the digital channels are not fully functional in the area yet either - I believe Sandown will be fully up and running in 2012. This said, our hotel is situated in the main tourist area and we have a pool and jacuzzi, and most of our guests come here to enjoy the local area and to use the hotel as a base to explore the Island from.
Our prices are competetive and we offer rates that include dinner, breakfast and car ferry or just bed and breakfast and car ferry.
Thank you once again.
midlands england
Reviewed 19 July 2011

we had a weekend at this hotel early july it was lovely staff were brilliant food lovely ,as for the scenery we loved it that made our weekend apart from weather we enjoyed our break and will be going again .i love the isle of wight so much to see lots of places to visit like the pearl factory every we go there i come back with a pearl ,nobody would be dissapointed by the isle of wight .. lis

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
Melville Hall Hotel
#2 of 29 in Sandown
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,204 reviews
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel

Been to Sandringham Hotel? Share your experiences!