“A good place”

Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Sandown
United Kingdom
“A good place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed in one of the best rooms in the place. A great view of the beach/bay and at night we could hear the tide gently lapping the beach in front of us. The road between the hotel and beach is quiet and reserved car parking within 5 minutes walk was a bargain in price.

Mind you the picture window meant the heat builds up so one option is to keep the curtains drawn when out of the room. Bathroom was a bit poky and smelt but that is because there was carpet in the bathroom! Take it out.

Food simple but well presented, there are healthy options, and the service in the restaurant, reception and rooms was friendly and caring.

No phone in the rooms so take your mobile. Yes there is some limited entertainment in the evening but the esplanade is right outside so enjoy promenading.

Fair value for a 2* hotel. The staff did many kindnesses for the old folk around, accommodated the families and it was a pleasant stay.

Rooms not facing the sea had narrow windows and there are smaller rooms so beware. You get what you pay for.

There is a small bar billiards table in the main lounge but a full size snooker table near the small swimming pool (heated) and jacuzzi. Just book at reception. Modest charges except the jacuzzi was free of charge from 5 to 7pm.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Ashford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

friends who were planning a visit to the IOW, booked the Hotel while we were staying on the island in may, we joined the trip after our friend had a heart attack & was unable to drive, so my wife & I shared the driving.1 of the guests is unable to manage stairs with ease & uses a wheeled trolley to assist with walking, the first room was (I found out later used to be a store room) with 3 steep stairs up to the landing then access was ok via a ramp to the bar area, then there as 3 steps to the dining room! the Receptionist was helpful
and moved our friend to the 2nd floor next to the lift which was fine til the lift broke down (luckily we were downstairs at the time) so as the repairs were not able to be done until mid afternoon the next day our friend had to move again to the ground floor until it was repaired then back to the 2nd floor, But I must say the staff were v,helpful.
the room we had was dated I thought I should be wearing flares & platforms! it was also in need of a deep clean to remove the mould from the edge of the bath & an extractor than sounded like air sea rescue was in the room. I wedged the bed to stop it heading across the floor when it was sat on! Im not sure how old the tv was but it wont support digi tv!
I was a bit taken aback when I went to the bar & the barman was unable to serve alcohol as he was only 17! he had to call a receptionist to serve me, Is that legal?
the food was basic but hot & could perhaps moderise with a lighter meal choice/better salad choice, the entertainment was only alternate nights & the singers did the same songs every visit! on the nights there was no entertainment the lounge was filled with unruly kids,surely the hotel could get a dj for the inbetween nights, especially as it was peak time But the hotel was only half full,
My advice is if your ok to rough it and not used to modern facilities its ok! with good access to the beach, but if your not able to manage lots of stairs access to the pool & reception would be near impossible, its posssible to hire a key for floor level access at the rear of the hotel £10 deposit also there is a carpark a short walk away for £2 a day.
I love the IOW but wouldnt stay at the Sandringham again, its a shame as it cost nr £1000 for a week. its off to Warners Bembridge next visit
I know the owners will say I should have complained at the time but Ithought the reception staff were working hard enough already, im not sure where the good reviewers stayed but it must be better than their own home ,Scarey!

Room Tip: This is probably on a par with an old butlins camp without the entertainment to get a good room read...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Happytrucker_11

Travellers are raving about these Sandown hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

Me and my wife had a four night stay at this Hotel, when we pulled up outside the Hotel it looked dated, On checking in we were given our keys, the room was very very dated.

There was a very nice view of the sea,the bathroom was clean but very very dated with mixed colours, breakfast was basic, the main evening meal also quite basic not the best, staff rush through the courses, most meals were not very hot.

Car parking outside Hotel, be aware you will get blocked in. Hotel staff not very helpful, you have to find the person who's car is blocking you in yourself and get them to move there car,OK if they are in the Hote butl bad luck for you if they are out on a trip etc because you are stuck. Never again to this Hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John B
Basildon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

Really enjoyed this break to IOW the hotel was great and the food plentiful. The waiting staff were very attentive and always provided what we wanted. Only thing that i thought needed sorting was the bathrooms , they need updating badly. We spent the weekend with friends and what a great time we had. Would recommend hotel.
Lorraine

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Devizes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

We look forward to our weeks holiday in the IOW and staying at The Sandringham!
We have got to know the staff over the years and have found them most efficient and polite.
Adrian, the restaurant manager is particularly friendly and an excellent role model for the restaurant staff. The food is really delicious and there is always a good choice on the menu. We love all the fresh vegetables, the puddings, the breakfasts etc, etc!!
We always have a family room facing the sea where we can relax and enjoy the views. It's fabulous! The room is always clean and and the ladies who come in each day work hard to ensure that we have everything we need.
The hand held showers are a bit of a nuisance but we understand that lots of bathrooms are going to be upgraded later this year. This will be a great bonus for the hotel and will also make things easier for the guests!
We have recommended this hotel to many people and will continue to do so. We feel the value for money would be hard to beat anywhere else, especially when you take into consideration the wonderful location and the fact that the ferry charges are included in the price of your stay.
The hotel is comfortable, clean and right on the beach. We go to sleep every night listening to the sea! Bliss!
Thanks to all you hard-working staff at The Sandringham!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jayne a
West Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

We have been to the Sandringham many times in the last 4 years and we will be back again many times, reception staff are lovely, Beverley and Richard very good, evening meal is good and breakfast is ample. Yes the bathrooms need updating, but we read about them before we booked a few years ago, so went to the hotel with an open mind and knew what to expect, they serve their purpose. We always have a superior balcony room as the sea view is breath taking. My one moan which was reported to reception staff at the time is SMOKING.I know in the folder in the room it says no smoking on balconies, but I really do not think people read this. Firstly I think the folder should be out on the dressing table not tucked away in a tiny draw. Unfortunately we had smokers either side of us this time, which was hideous, we had to keep shutting our door, which made us all extremely hot. I suggest that No Smoking signs be put on the pillars on the balconies. To keep watching a lighted cigarette be thrown onto the roof below was extremely worrying. Also I think if you are to allow smoking on the balcony from the lounge, (which I feel is a shame) there should be signs on the door asking them if they are to smoke to shut the doors behind them.We had one lady who insisted on standing in the doorway puffing her smoke into the lounge, I got up to shut the door but she arrogantly opened it again. My Mum has a lung disease and passive smoking is not good. Any how even after my moan, we will all be back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

i have stayed at the sandringham everytime i have been to the isle of white with my family and i literally stayed there every year since i was 3. i have been on many holidays including a 2 week cruise around the med and many other 5* accomodations and the sandringham and the isle of white will always be my faveourite holiday destination ever. i absolutley love it. the staff at the sandringham helped my mum & dad find me and my three sisters a good deal whilst we were on quite a low budget, when i was younger. some of these reviews have made me laugh as they are as far from what the hotel is actually like. i'll never forget the times i spent there.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
Melville Hall Hotel
#2 of 31 in Sandown
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,194 reviews
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel

Been to Sandringham Hotel? Share your experiences!