“great family hotel”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 14 May 2012

fantastic service and food great views overlooking the beach

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Rich8181

Reviewed 5 May 2012

We stayed for 4 nights in April 2012, the room was adequate for our needs, and we paid extra for a sea view with a balcony. The food was excellent and plenty of it, the staff could not have been more friendly. The entertainment was very good catering for all ages. We intended to visit the entire island but once we parked our car it never moved again until we left. We watched football in a nearby bar called The Office where Budweiser was only £2 a bottle, well worth a visit. We would recommend the hotel as the location right on the beach is great.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tony C
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Just stayed at the Sandringham Hotel for 4 nights and it was a very enjoyable experience. As from the title off this review the website is very out dated because it shows the very retro interior of the hotel before it had the refurbishment to bring it to the standard it is today which was over 5 years ago, so dont be tricked by the website into thinking that the interior of the hotel is drab and old because it isnt. The general appearance of the hotel is great all over apart from the corridor's that lead to the rooms which have not yet been refurbished but are still clean and tidy. The rooms are very clean and comfortable with very comfortable beds, but the pillows given are feather filled meaning that when you lay your head onto them they sink straight away, so instead ask for a foam filled one from the cleaners which give you a much more comfortable nights sleep. The location is brilliant and the staff are very polite and will go out of their way for you. The one last negative thing about the hotel is that when you stand anywhere within the hotel the heating is turned onto full blast hot which can cause you to get uncomfortable at times but the rooms are of a very good temperature. Oerall the hotel is great and would reccomend it to anyone

Room Tip: Rooms that face the sea are a lot quiter then the ones that face the road (which has quite a lot of...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Jacob M
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We booked 4 nights after seeing an offer in a Sunday newspaper, we checked out previous peoples comments first and decided for the cost we couldn't go wrong.

The hotel is what I would describe as tired, it is fairly common now as so many hotels have to stay open all year to make their money and that means that they don't have the time to do complete refurbs. Yes the bathrooms really are dated but the water was red hot and the fact that there was no shower curtain really wasn't my problem as it wasn't my own home.

The staff were all a delight, nothing too much trouble and the food was fine, nothing special but for what we paid it was more than I expected!

The pool was lovely and I didn't mind walking back to my room wrapped in a towel.

The car parking would be a big problem in season but the hotel do offer a £2.00 per day parking deal locally and I would think it would be the most sensible way to do it.

Would I recommend it? yes I would and would go back again without hesitation.

The island is lovely and the fact that we were there during the hottest days in March for years simply added to a lovely break.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank taffswife
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We were a little late arriving on a friday night in February, all the carpark spaces were full (three cars deep) and also the free seafront (off season) parking was taken. Kindly the receptionist gave us what turned out to be the Directors space....
We felt guilty about our lateness and didn't want to hold up the waiting staff so ate our evening meal as quickly as possible.....
The room was fairly small, but clean. The Bathroom was old and dated but functional.
The thing we hated was THE FLOORBOARDS! God they were so creaky and made such a noise!
The people upstairs kept us awake on both nights from about 11pm-till 1am.
Maybe not the Hotels fault but come on install solid floors! Sooooo NOISY!
Food was dull, but o.k. Staff very nice, but yeah dated uniforms but so what....
Didn't use the pool, but it looked quite nice....
Next morning, went to move the car, told off by member of staff '
"You can't park there, that's the Directors space" Grumpy grumpy........
Told him Lady last night said o.k, and had to pay for over-flow carpark up the road, not good.
Wanted to leave the car and walk around, but having to pay seemed MEAN.
Staff are nice, food average, decor is bland, rooms too hot, balcony shared, not recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sculpturedad
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We have just returned from a break in the isle of Wight. This is our first time on the Island and we were not sure what to expect. I saw a "deal" in the back of our newspaper, 3 nights with the 4th free @ £129 & free return ferry crossing. This offer also included breakast & dinner everyday including the morning that you depart. My first thoughts were, it's too good to be true the food will be bad & the bedrooms will be knackered but I am pleased to say, I was very wrong.

The staff were helpful, friendly and customer focused from the point of booking until we left. The food selection was very good and the portions were a good size as well (we are both good eaters). I had Grapefruit segments, a full English, toast & tea every morning as we were doing a lot of walking each day and I was full up until we came back for our evening meal so we didn't waste money on lunch. Every evening meal was 3 courses, plenty of choice served in a comfy dining room with friendly waiters.

We used the swimming pool and spa everyday, we always found it to be clean although there are no changing rooms open at the moment due to a referb.

We had a free upgrade and our room was warm and welcoming. Our sea view was wonderful, it made my trip (as I wasn't expecting a view at all).

Downsides; Yes the bathrooms are dated and they don't have showers but I personally prefer a bath to soak muscles after walking. The TV sets are old and you only get 3 channels in the room BUT we weren't there to watch TV. No phones in bedrooms, we didn't mind as we each have mobiles but other guests might. Feather pillows, I have foam at home so found these unsupportive.

We found it easy to park, enjoyed the food, location, staff and facilities. I would stay here again during the OFF PEAK SEASON, I think PEAK SEASON would be far too busy for me as there are 132 rooms and up to 300 guests (including Children) during the Summer season but I love the Sandringham for a Winter walking break.

We'll see you next year!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kate A
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Really enjoyed a midweek break here booked last minute and had an ace time. Nothing was too much trouble for staff. Food was excellent

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Nigel216
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
5 mi away
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to Sandringham Hotel? Share your experiences!