Sandringham Hotel
US$100
  • Beachfront
Marina Bay Hotel(Sandown)(Great Value!)
US$74
  • Pool
US$79
US$70
  • Restaurant
All reviewssea viewisle of wightswimming poolone way systemwaiting staffdining roomflat roofhigh streetoverlooking the beachthree coursessnooker tablemy mummobility problemswaiter servicesea frontgood nights sleeplovely break
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We took a four night break at the Sandringham over the August bank holiday.
The room was a superior room, with a sea view however it was alittle dated. The hotel lounge looks over the sea front, and was really relaxing. There is evening entertainment, which could be move varied for the size of the hotel. Breakfast was served in the main resturant and there was alot of variety, and was cooked perfectly. Evening meals are served in the main resturant, there is a good choice and the waiting staff were very friendly and helpful, especially our waiter Will.
We would definatly go back again, I believe the rooms and ensuite are having a make over next year so will leave it until thats complete.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Ladypenelope77
Reviewed 15 September 2012

This may well be the longest review. My parents aged 82 have been married 60 years and my father wanted to return to Sandown as he used to go there as a small boy, so much so that his parents named their own home "Sandown". We booked into The Sandown Hotel as my father mistakenly thought this was the posh hotel they stayed at.In July I booked bed breakfast & evening meal with a sea view and paid the entire bill in advance. The night before departure my father emailed to ask if diners were expected to wear jackets, imagine the shock when the return emai said jackets were not needed for breakfast and that they did not do evening meals !!! On telephoning I was told that "manangement" had pulled the option of evening meal and must have missed informing us. But we could go to their sister hotel The Sandringham to eat. Please remember this is hours before leaving Whitley Bay to travel. I quickly looked at the Sandringham web site "one of the best hotels " it proclaimed. So I rang and asked to transfer our entire 4 night 5 day booking to the Sandringham as I did not want my most beloved parents walking around in the dark between hotels, a wise decision having seen the steps and ramp between the hotels. SO after a very long journey we arrived at the reception at 6pm on Monday 10th September . Huge confusion between allocating rooms in a very unappealing reception area, guarded by 2 Alsatians, it reminded me of Butlins in the early 70s. Like other reviews steps steps and more steps from reception to the lift. We did get a back door key for a £10 deposit the next day.
The room using a praise sandwich - good new thick mattress, poor tired dated carpeted bathroom with mixer shower, good new flat tv. However do NOT stay in room 55 infact it should never be allocated to guests. I was in tears by 1pm because of the noise from the lift, each time it was called I heard the gears grind, the doors open and close, oh and by the way we were not given a room with a sea view and my room was right across the street from a late night pizza bar on the high street. Fortunately my father does not have good hearing so did not suffer from the noise. However first thing on Tuesday my room was changed to one further away from the lift. Same old tired bathroom a theme mentioned in other reviews.
The dining room staff are the "stars" and work hard to have a rapport with their Customers and it was good to have an allocated table throughout the entire stay. I enjoyed the food and the menu suited me well, sometimes the breakfast was luke warm but we didn't complain. The lounge is a good size and is satisfactorily furnished, although we spent little time in it, choosing to go to our bedrooms instead at 9pm. My father was disappointed that there was no Glayva or Drambuie so took solace in a Lagavullin malt.
In summary "You get what you pay for" or not at the Sandown can you imagine how awful it would have been if we had arrived to be told dinner was not an option, why did they not contact us, when would we have got our money back. Sloppy inept management/ownership. I too would like the Hotel Inspector to visit.
They certainly have no right to claim to be one of the better hotels.they can claim to be in an ideal position.
If you have mobility problems don't go. If you expect your hotel to be better than your own home don't go.
The waiting and cleaning staff are lovely, warm and friendly, the receptionists aloof, the management don't exist, the owners must have their head in the sand or have swum out to sea with Lord Lucan.
I was happy to have a holiday with my Mum and Dad, I was happy to cross one more item of Dad's bucket list.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan S
Reviewed 13 September 2012

The review by John B says it all. My wife and myself have just returned from the worst 9 days in a Hotel. On arrival the place looked spotless but to climb a flight of stairs to reach the lift to our allocated room on floor 3 was the first bgig let down. On reaching our room it was to say the least discusting. The beds were nice and the room spacious .The carpet was filthy and the floor boards could be seen. Paint was coming off the walls and the bathroom was discustingly filthy. Health and safety would have a field day if they visited the hotel. The lounge was well decorated and clean as was the dining room. Dining room staff were smart and helpfull but the meals were a big let down in as much as portion sizes were inadequate for adults and extra portions were refused. Thankfully the weather was fine. In general its hard to believe that the place is still open. Many of the staff were not happy with the conditions. To cap it all on our last night we had water coming through the ceiling after a very slight rainfall. When i reported this the remark from a member of staff was "Oh not again".

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Norman S
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We have just spent three days at this hotel with my 93 year old mother who is active but need a tri-walker/stick to walk. She does manage stairs with difficulty When we arrived at the hotel to get up to reception you have to negotiate four steps with NO HANDRAILS. Once into reception there are three steps to get to the main staircase again with NO HANDRAIL. The main staircase has twenty one stairs but does have a handrail. On this floor the is a lift to the remaining floors. The dining room is on this level and does have a ramp down to the dining room entrancelevel but once at the dining room you have to negotiate a further four steps again with NO HANDRAIL. Our bedrooms were on the second floor and on coming out of the lift there were another four stairs to negotiate. When I booked I asked about access but was not informed of the amount of stairs. The hotel does have a back entrance on lift level which is accessed by key which can be obtained at reception for a £10 refundable deposit but the access to the rear is up a steep hill from the front of the hotel

Once in My Mums room whilst the bedroom was OK but the facilities in the bathroom were to say the least appalling. The bathroom suite was old and past its best and the rooms do not have showers only a mixer tap with a hose. Totally inadequate for a 93 year old. We asked reception was there any alternatives but they said no and did not seem too concerned to resolve the situation.

Our room was lovely and spacious and was supposed to be a superior room. This was only in size as the bathroom was to say the least appalling. Only a very old avocado batroom suite with no shower that had seen better days and a carpeted floor. The toilet seat was whilst appearing clean was stained and broken as two of the underneath supports were missing. When you go on holiday you do expect facilities at least equivalent to those in you own home these were 100% worse than we have got at home. Even the most basicTravellodge facilities are better than these!!!!!

The meal on the first evening was to say poor and portions to say meagre was an understatement. My Mum who does not eat a great deal was hungry in the night. Things improved in the morning as we had a change of waiter, Adrian, who was the head waiter and things and portions improved. What an asset to the hotel - he is their saving grace!!!!!

Luckily the weather was good and we did have a couple of good days touring the island.

There were a larger number of 70 to 80 year olds in the hotel and all were complaining about the stairs and all said if they had known they would not have come. In these days especially with the papalymics just having taken place you would have thought that the hotel management would have tried cater for the impaired and elderly people as this appears to be their main client base. Whilst the price of the hotel was good the facilities are sadly lacking. People say its like going back in time visiting the Island but people from the mainland expectations are far higher and this hotel needs to get their act together if the want customers to revisit

We would not recommend this hotel and would not revisit

Room Tip: No Room is a good one bathrooms extremely poor
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank John B
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I would agree with most of the reviews the place needs some money spent on it.
We went with friends and enjoyed our visits around the island ,there is alot to see.
We had a sea view room overlooking the beach, it was great just to sit and view the rest
of the world passing by..The bed was fine the room clean but my wife was horrified
to find carpet in the toilet. She put her shoes on to go in there. It made it difficult for her
to have a shower but never mind . Think I would just take the carpet up and replace with something that looks and can be kept clean. Meals were good for the price and the day started with a good breakfast the staff were very willing but some were new to the job
and just need a little more experience.. The parking was a little bit annoying as we
couldnt park one evening and had to park in the council parking. We then had to pay
for the parking in the morning before the warden arrived .Just as well we were up and about
early. I now understand they have additional parking space at a different location.
We are returning so that must say alot and my wife will take her overshoes for the bathroom.

Room Tip: Only stay in the sea facing rooms as the view is worh the extra.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends