“Good value”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stay in quite a few hotels for business,on this trip I am picking up the tab myself,so looking for good value! Check in was pleasant and easy,we had a standard room which was clean and comfortable.The food was of a good standard,and 'our' waiter (Bill) very pleasant,smart and well organised.Most of the staff looked like they wanted to be there,in contrast to some surly individuals I have come across in other places.I have not stayed in any other Sandown hotels,but for a good pleasant stay,this one ticks all the right boxes.As for Sandown itself,there are some reasonable eateries and a lovely beach,and you can even time travel by wandering down the end of the pier,I thought I was in 1973 and expected to see Gene Hunt wandering about.............

Room Tip: We were at the far end at the front,lovely view of the sea,but VERY noisy.Didn't bother us but o...

Reviewed 6 August 2013

The hotel rooms need updating and the bathrooms a need for a major overhaul. The rooms were cleaned daily with fesh towels. The facilities are excellent although it would have been nice if a member of staff took the time to show us where everything was, including the sauna which was only available free of charge between 5 and 7 pm. The dining and breakfast was first class although very little choice for youngsters - they would anly cook chips two days running? Sandown is an amazing place to stay and other hotels, although more expensive welcome you with open arms to enjoy nightly entertainment. Would we go back, yes but request a room overlooking the seafront as the ones facing the town are very noisy, thank you Mr Kebab Shop!

Room Tip: Go for a sea facing room - nice and quiet with amazing views.
1  Thank John H
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Arrived on Friday afternoon, 02/08/13. We paid £354 for 2 people for dinner, bed and breakfast in a sea view room on recommendation. Well, perhaps our standards are better than others. The hotel has limited parking but that wasn't a problem really. On arrival, we were given our room keys, and as stated, were sea view with balcony on the 3rd floor. Went to the room. Well, time warp or what? Back to the 80's with very little cleaning since then I think and not redecoration. Bedroom had dark furniture crammed into the small room. The balcony wasn't really for you, but a 'landing' from which, a lot of the rooms could exit onto; a bit like a block of flats! It did overlook the sea though which was nice. I'd like to say the room was clean, but I'd be lying. On opening one drawer to unpack into, there was a pair of someone else's socks as well as dirt. I had to clean all drawers using wet wipe prior to placing our clothes. Windows dirty, front of the wardrobe dirty. The bathroom was just that. A bath room. No shower although there was a shower attachment on the taps! The bathroom suite was in a brown 1970's colour with an avocado bath panel. Not attractive! Carpets, threadbare everywhere, not just in the rooms. Bed, don't lean against it or you may fly across the room! Wifi rubbish! Only available in the bar or reception! Informed by stroppy staff that it was 'free', but as it's 'free' in most hotels EVERYWHERE, it's a joke!
Food....breakfast was ok; dinner was absolute rubbish! Waitress very nice though. Not her fault the hotel's terrible.
Swimming pool.....oops! Stinks of chlorine, non accompanied kids till after 9pm and grotty! Jacuzzi, have to ask to use it! What? the same for the sauna!
Lovely snooker table; no cues! When queried, was told that the pool table kids would complain if we used the cues from the pool table. Excuse me; we're grown ups, not kids! And why should we have had inferior equipment. If you're charging over the top, surely you make sure you have the proper equipment for the facilities offered? In the room where the snooker table is, there were a load of boxes stored there. Why? Perhaps it's the store room? Although you have to walk through this room for the pool.
The town of Sandown. Well, never been to such a run down town ever before, really shabby! Drove around the island and there were some pretty towns though.
Would we return? Not sure. Maybe for a walking holiday although I'd have to research the hotels more thoroughly. Possibly if there were more chains, the privately owned hotels and guest houses would have competition which would make them be more competitive both with their prices and facilities.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
12  Thank Elsa P
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My wife and I and two grand children aged 9yrs and 11yrs old have spent 4 wonderful days at the Sandringham Hotel, the food was excellent the service was excellent and nothing was to much trouble for our waiter Todd, the staff are friendly and accommodating in every way.
We were so impressed we immediately booked a return visit of 10 days at the end of August, well done Sandringham Hotel.

Room Tip: Request a sea view with balcony
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bigfatron
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My self, sister & Disabled mother (in Wheel Chair) have just had a 5 day 4 night break as my 88 year old mother has just been diagnosed with Dementia, and we just wanted to take her away for a short holiday. We did ask about an a joining rooms but were told NONE AVAILABLE, can we pay extra for sea view NONE AVAILABLE, so had a twin and single. We also asked about access for disabled,(as mother can't walk to far and has walking stick) and were told there was a lift to the bedroom. Imagine our surprise when on arrival we found that there is no lift from ground to 1st floor, but a flight of stairs, we finally got our mother up the flight of stairs (I must say with great difficulty) she had to sit down on the sofa at top of stairs then walk to where the lift is actually situated????? (I think they were being a little economical with the truth!!! when we booked). on arrival on the 3rd floor (back) overlooking high street, we entered our room's (well all I can say is I thought some one had opened the oven door) we opened the windows (wide) to no avail entered the Bathroom and were surprised to see a bath and (some would call it a shower???) I would call it a hose with just a head on it dangling over the taps in the bath and as some one else said nothing to hook it up on. So every morning we had to go into our mothers room and get her in and out of the Bath and shower??? her down (can not use bath as she has not got strength to push herself up) not leaving her any dignity to even shower herself without her daughters help!!!!!. 1st night in hotel horrendous as noise from the High Street was terrible Teens, screaming out side Kebab shop opposite to 1am, Dustman 5am, papers delivered newsagent 6am buses etc etc (Had to have window open so hot still in room) no top sheet on beds just quilts so could not even throw this off and just cover yourself with sheet. Again asked any other rooms told nothing available also asked at reception if they hired out fans answer came back NO!!!! So went to Boots opposite and bought ourselves "ear plugs" so second night window wide open again!!! but heard much less noise and slept with our dressing gowns over us. The saving grace for this hotel is the dinning room staff, especially our waiter Jo who gave us exceptional service throughout our stay, and the food was very good and plenty of it, Hotel location is great, and as I got one of the Hotels cheap deals it was on all other counts real value for money. My final criticism would have to be with reception, as having my own business for 12 years 1st impressions count, as straight forward NO's do not cut the mustard a little more staff training would not go amiss, but it seems to be no leadership I did not see any Hotel Manager??? or any senior management staff on site they seem to "sort things out between themselves" Home now in my cool bedroom for a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Insist!!!!! on sea view to front pay the extra if necessary, preferable a refurbished room if at the...
2  Thank Valerie S
Reviewed 3 August 2013

After paying extra for a superior room, we arrived to find our room was not superior at all, the ceiling had peeling paint from a damp patch, the beds were torn at the base. The bathroom was the worst, still in brown, with carpeted floors, not even a shower on the wall! After talking with reception, they did move us, but not until the next day, which meant we couldn't unpack.
Breakfast was the same every morning, basic selection of cereals and same fry up.
The swimming pool was freezing, and very murky. The first time we used the jacuzzi it stunk, and you couldn't see the bottom it was black! Not very healthy!!!
I walked in one day and this terrible smell overcame me, it turned out to be the 'managers or owners' dogs, sitting behind reception, it absolutely stunk, I couldn't believe it, it was very bad!
All in all the Sandringham is not all you would expect it to be, for £186 per night.
We did stay an extra night though at a hotel down the road also on the sea front for half the price!
Have to say though, that the staff were very pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: If you want a good room you need to have accommodation on the top floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank lsamio
Reviewed 29 July 2013

we have just returned from 3 day break at the hotel.
I booked it and then read reviews ! to be honest after reading some reviews i wasnt expecting very much, however we were really surprised. yes the rooms were a bit dated but spotless, the staff were very pleasant, and the food was very nice. the location was brilliant.
the only negative i would say is that the entertainment not up to much. but all in all we had a great stay here.

Room Tip: pay extra for room with balcony, overlooking sea !
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Melville Hall Hotel
Melville Hall Hotel
#21 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Sandringham Hotel? Share your experiences!