“Sandringham IOW” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Sandown
Napier, New Zealand
“Sandringham IOW”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I recently stayed at the Sandringham for three days with breakfast and dinner included. I found the staff very friendly and helpful. The meals were were fine with a reasonable choice. The rooms are old and in need of some upgrading but overall for the price it was good.. Great location . I requested a room on the sea side which was quiet at night.
The pool looked okay but not warm enough for me but the jacuzzi was great

Room Tip: Choose one on the sea side of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mariebkarl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

My husband and I have visited the isle of wight for the last 7 years for the national scooter rally.
We were due to stay in the grand hotel originally which is the hotel we have always stayed in,but due to that being closed this year after we had booked it,we received a e-mail to say we had been up graded to this hotel!
I can definatley say that this was no up-grade!
The room we had did not have a shower in.I dropped the soap on the floor whilst having a bath,and when I picked it up it was covered in hair!This was on our 1st night!
The skirting boards were covered in thick dust and the whole room needed a good clean.
I asked if we could be moved to another roombut as the hotel was full,this was not possible.
There are only 2 things about this hotel I was happy with.

1st:The bed was clean!
2nd:The waiter Lloyd,who was originally from the Grand hotel.He is lovely!
He is a credit to this hotel and is a very genuine nice guy.

If you are a big eater please note that the food portion's are very small!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Sandown hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

'Hello' without a smile.......wrong rooms given, 'you've been upgraded' and 'take it or leave it' just some of the welcoming comments from the receptionists, great start. we were given room 71. back of the hotel very noisy bins under the window opposite a kebab house and right on a traffic island guess how much sleep we got then? carpet smells of urine, wardrobes and drawers had an 'aged' smell to them so kept my clothes in suitcase. the chair had some very mysterious stains on and it was so bad generally I decided only to touch things that I needed too, wore flip flops in room no bare foot just in case. there was no shower or curtain just a hose attached to the taps so no quick showers here. the food was awful microwaved cheap rubbish, it comes to something when the staff recommend an omelette or salad as they are prepared freshly to order! I had such an awful porcini ravioli on the first night the waitress told the manager sadly though they couldn't be bothered to speak to me as they had gone home (probably to a nice homecooked dinner!!) anyway although the kebab shop was noisy at night they were the tastiest thing I ate this break. well the beer was overpriced in the hotel and then the bar closed at 11.00. the last image I have of the hotel is walking from the lift area and seeing a guest allowing their dog to piddle up the banister............... enough said. on leaving the reception we handed our key in and the receptionist replied 'I hope you enjoyed your stay' convulsive laughter followed that comment................

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank Helen R
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

after reading bad reviews we were very happy with hotel this was just a short break 2 adults 2 kids aged 8 1o .food was very nice .had an old room but was very clean .all staff lovely.great beach was just over the road .also bad weather indoor pool was good /yes it did need a bit of tlc but you can see there doing this.entertainment 4 the evening was good.just got back from lanzarote also egypt my kids said it was there best holiday .a nice place was very happy we will go back .my only moan was drinks were expensive.

Room Tip: pay the extra for front balcony
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Scooter weekend... Started at check in. Three doubles and three singles booked. Given Three doubles, one single and a twin. We were told we knew this was happening, we had been spoken to and they had written it down???? News to us and the fact they expected a woman to share with a man she hardly knew... there response? A shrug of there shoulders and told take it or leave it, there's the door if you don't like it.
One lift that can just about take four people, but you've a mountain of stairs to climb from reception to get to it in the bar area. If your disabled, they've got a little back door for you on a different street but you can't let them know as there's no wheelchair access to reception...
Now the room, if you like tired late sixty's bathrooms with carpet on the floor smelling of urine, no shower, just a shower hose that reaches to your waist if your lucky in a pasty brown colour with small towels, then this is the place for you. we had two chairs in the room, quite nice we thought until we saw the stains on the one, filthy wasn't the word. wardrobes and drawers smelt so we left our clothes in our cases, didn't feel comfortable hanging them up. We decided to touch as little as possible.
Could've been worse, our friends in another room didn't have running water in there sink, the hotel's answer was to give them a water jug which they could take down to the bar and the bar staff would give them some.
Most of the staff had a couldn't care less attitude, that's what your getting, take it or leave it and god help you if you ask for an extra potato.....
To try and get over all we went for drinks the first night so yes I was a little worse for wear the following day but when I went to the bar and brought a bottle of water I was insulted by the bar man when he asked what my husband would like!!! I'm a 53 year old man and I was on my own. He was a very lucky man, if I hadn't got a head ache, he would have had one.
I could go on but I think you get the idea.
Rooms Terrible
Food Terrible
Location Terrible, if you've been put in a non sea view room
Noisy Kebab House till 2/3 in the morning.
Staff Terrible
oh and as we were going to our rooms yesterday a resident who had brought two dogs allowed them to soil the stair carpet but no one seemed bothered...
Good luck to anyone who stays here but I know of at least 30/40 scooterist's who stayed here this weekend will never return again... Dump, Dump, Dump!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank graham p
Surrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stayed again this year been about 6 times before won't be returning, had to be moved after 1 night because of noisy waste pipe going through the room, the room was okay but the bathroom had no window or fan and very grubby and dated and in need of replacement. The second room wasn't any better although we didn't have the noisy pipe! The bathroom was disgusting the toilet had been used before we got there and I had to clean! The bathroom was so old and tatty not properly cleaned, lots of mould and generally very grubby, net curtains were filthy, have complained but was told that it was the general standard for this price of room £478 for 2 for 4 nights bed and breakfast and the breakfast wasn't exactly great ! Pool and bar area are okay and the waiters are friendly but having stayed here a lot of times will not again, their cleanliness standards are well below what anyone would expect. They have refitted a few bathrooms just a few hundred to go which would take years. You can get much better value elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the few with new bathrooms they may be better
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Margo193
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stay in quite a few hotels for business,on this trip I am picking up the tab myself,so looking for good value! Check in was pleasant and easy,we had a standard room which was clean and comfortable.The food was of a good standard,and 'our' waiter (Bill) very pleasant,smart and well organised.Most of the staff looked like they wanted to be there,in contrast to some surly individuals I have come across in other places.I have not stayed in any other Sandown hotels,but for a good pleasant stay,this one ticks all the right boxes.As for Sandown itself,there are some reasonable eateries and a lovely beach,and you can even time travel by wandering down the end of the pier,I thought I was in 1973 and expected to see Gene Hunt wandering about.............

Room Tip: We were at the far end at the front,lovely view of the sea,but VERY noisy.Didn't bother us but o...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
Melville Hall Hotel
Melville Hall Hotel
#2 of 31 in Sandown
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,176 reviews

Been to Sandringham Hotel? Share your experiences!