“Top hotel”

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Wow! Lost for words,
Its been a while since I came last time...
Now my sister has her family,
It was the most heart warming welcome,
The staff are so great,
One waitress asked me what im doing today, its nice to have a chat :)
The hotel cool with the new changes :)
My room no77 had a black stain at the back of the toilet,
Other than that its been an awesome experince.
I would come again and again,
On my first day I got up early, and saw the most breath takung sunrise :)
Keep up the awesome work,
I even made friends with some of the people staying.
I was greeted by morning by staff n residents.
On my way home, I knowtist u had one new staff, he kindly helped me down stairs with my suitcase :)
Also my mum told me she was upset, n one of ur male staff gave her a hug, n latter he checked on her to see if she was ok.
Top hotel, n great for familys.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dronecall F

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed only a couple of days at this hotel (glad we did).The hotel as you approach the reception deck is very old fashion and looks dirty, carpets need replacing.,Deck needs a lick of paint or replacing ,but car parking fine and staff helpful.Nows comes the bed rooms facing the high street,reminded me of some thing out of the 60,s with old carpets in Bathroom,shower attached to bath tap with no screen,when asked about why no shower screen,reception told me you had to book a room which had this facility and they had non left anyway,for gods sake surely this would be a standard thing.One window did not open in our bedroom and at night it became stifling hot,i did notice that they where doing up the front bedrooms which looked much more modern but of course this comes at a price.The hotel is very tired looking and needs in my opinion and my wife a complete makeover.The breakfast was very good and we where surprised ,as for the staff they could not do enough so full marks to them.Clean linen daily

Room Tip: Bedroom facing the sea are more modern.
3  Thank samuel c
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Having read previous reviews, which are very mixed, I wasn't sure what to expect. We booked a double sea view room with balcony. We were allocated room 23. After walking through what seemed to be miles of dark corridors with several sets of steps, we eventually found our room. We struggled to get through the doorway with the bags as it was so narrow. The bathroom was various shades of avocado green with a bath and hand held shower. No shower curtain. Then we go to the doorway to the balcony. As we opened it, I seriously thought it was going to fall in on us. the top hinge/bracket was totally rusted. The balcony was very small. We paid 128.00 per night with breakfast and this was totally unacceptable. So, back we went through the dingy corridors. We told the receptionist we would not accept the room and we were given the key to room 46 whilst being told that all rooms only have baths and not showers.
So, back we go but this time we left the bags in reception.

Room 46 was like going into another hotel. It had been refurbished and was what we had expected. the bathroom was lovely with a nice shower cubicle... no bath despite what the receptionist had said. However, there wasn't a towel rail, a loo roll holder or a shelf within the cubicle to put any toiletries. Surprisingly the little freeby bottles of shower gel etc weren't provided. Even guesthouses provide those.The room was bigger than the previous room. The door to the balcony was tricky to close but was much easier and felt safer than the other. The balcony was shared between 3 or 4 rooms but this wasn't a problem. The balcony overlooked a flat roof which did obscure the view but you could see beyond it and to the sides. It wasn't a problem for us. The room was directly above the ballroom where live music was played on the Friday and Saturday nights. We could hear it but it wasn't so loud as to annoy or disturb us.

We had dinner at the hotel on the Friday night. We were greeted by the Head waiter who showed us to our table and we were told this would be out table for the duration of our stay. then he introduced us to Billy, our waiter. Again Billy was there for us both mornings for breakfast. The dining room was clean and very well organised. All of the waiting staff would acknowledge us and greeted us warmly. The food was good old traditional English fayre. It wasn't plentiful but it was adequate. We can't compliment the serving staff enough. they were all very professional, friendly and helpful. Well done to Billy and the team.

The bar staff were also very polite and helpful. However, I asked for a cocktail (as it tells you in their brochure that you can take a cocktail onto their decking) but they don't actually do cocktails. But the bar staff were more than happy to provide us with glasses and ice to take back to our room. The bar/lounge area had some very comfortable chairs and was a nice area to sit and relax.

We used the indoor pool and jacuzzi and that was very nice. More chairs/loungers could have been provided though and the changing area was away from the main pool which meant walking across a games room in your swimming stuff and there wasn't any lockers. We had to leave our towels on the floor around the pool as the 3 or 4 chairs provided were taken by other guests.

The hotel whilst clean, was in need of modernisation. The carpet was almost thread bare in may areas. There were large cracks in external walls. It was tired, basically. It was located right on the front in a very good position.

Although the hotel aren't responsible for what the local council should be doing, the whole are of Sandown is very neglected with many boarded up and/or empty buildings. Shame on you Sandown Council.

We paid for car parking at the boatyard some distance away but this wasn't a problem. if you have walking difficulties this could be an issue.

If you want a beach holiday with a touch of Fawlty towers, then I'm sure you'll enjoy this hotel. we met several couples/family groups who stay at the Sandringham regularly. We were glad we only stayed for a weekend and not a full holiday. What we didn't like was the way some families allowed their children to run riot through the corridors, disturbing other guests. But on the whole, it wasn't too bad. But we won't be going back.

Thanks for the extra coffee Billy ;)

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room with a refurbished bathroom and a sea view. Other guests we met were on...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Deborah P
Reviewed 17 August 2014

After reading some of these reviews before we booked we had very low expectations, saying that, they are only a 2* hotel which most of these people seem to be forgetting!!..when i think of 'old fashioned, needs updating' etc, i assume the decore it tatty, old, needs replacing, but the furniture in the first loung looks brand new! The problem is everything is beige/ tan colour, therefore the problem is not that its tatty, they had very bad advice of colour schemes and should sack their interior designer. We had a spacious family room with sea view, bathroom very nice big shower (no bath) and a shared balcony. My parents had a double/sea view but the bathroom was small and old fashioned but it did the trick. The staff were friendly and happy to help.
There are parking outside the hotel on a first come first serve bases and a private carpark 2 minutes walk from the hotel that costs £3 per day (its cheaper parking their than anywhere else!) you do have to go around a one-way system to get there but the walk back is short and you can gain access from the high street which is great for people in wheelchairs. The pool is quite big and also has a jaccuzi and steam room, you are given towels. Breakfast was clean/hot and very tasty. Yes the orange juice glasses are small but you are allowed to ask for more!!
Negatives: shared balcony, only given one key, male breakfast waiters are dressed in sea officer shirts while the females are dressed like cleaners in black tabbards!
There are 3 amazing restaurants next to hotel Ocean View, Reef & Legends, there food is plentiful, delicious and fantastic value for money, beware you have to book !!!
There is a shop next door which sell everything which is handy and is reasonably priced.

I expected a lot less from this hotel, so for the money we will be returning to this hotel!

Room Tip: We stayed in a superior family room 2+2 with sea room. We did overlook a flat roof but could see the...
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed for 4 nights last week hosting a group of 13 families (50 people) from a children's charity. It was the 5th year running that we had taken a group here and we will be returning. The hotel is clean, the food good, service great and location brilliant. We all had family rooms at the front of the hotel with sea views and a balcony (which we paid a supplement for, but it is well worth it). This was the first year we had the refurbished bathrooms which now contain showers instead of a bath and they are much better than the old bathrooms. The staff are friendly and helpful - both at reception and in the dining room. The car parking arrangements at the front of the hotel can be a little difficult at times but they are doing their best to maximise the parking in a tiny space which I feel is better than having no parking at all. The weather was great throughout our stay and the children really enjoyed just walking across the road to the beach to play in the sand and in the sea. They all made good use of the hotel's swimming pool too. Thank you everyone at the Sandringham Hotel for giving our group a fantastic break. We will be back again next year.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here recently for a weekend away with my partner and wasn't impressed at all. I found the decor to be very old fashioned and our bathroom suite made me thing I had stepped back in to the 70s . This place could do with a good cash injection to get it in to the 21st century .I had to pay for parking in their car park which was about 200m down the road . We eventually found the car park after asking several locals and it was down a dark alleyway and the car park itself had no lighting and in complete darkness. My partner was quite afraid as we parked the car and said if she was on her own there is no way she would park there. Very disappointed that this hotel was prepared to take my money to park there but were not prepared to provide any lighting for their guests, so I doubt very much if there are any CCTV cameras to look after guests cars. I did mention this to the staff but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. There were a few other couples and families staying there but most of the guests were OAPs and really felt uncomfortable like we were staying at an old folks home .

Room Tip: Don't bother with this place , really felt like I had stepped back in time with a kiss me quick...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Robert J
SandringhamIOW, General Manager at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2017

Hi there. Thanks for your review. The hotel bedrooms have now been refurbed with modern bathrooms, furniture, new carpets as well as many more features such as in-room telephones and free high speed Wi-Fi. We would love for you to consider us again in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is my first 'terrible' review on TripAdvisor; as to the hotel itself, as other reviewers note, it is old, tatty, in need of modernization but maybe this is what one expects in Sandown. What I didn't expect though is having specifically asked if a sea-view room was available to discover on entering my room that while one could technically see the sea, this was by means of stepping out onto the shared balcony and looking off to the left .. not a sea-view room as any reasonable person would describe it, therefore I was fraudulently relieved of my money by the man on reception who took my booking! The shower was just on a bath with no curtain which was bit odd .. the room was very hot and stuffy too. Breakfast menu looked promising but when the orange juice arrived in a glass little bigger than an espresso cup I knew I was to be disappointed! still the kippers I had most days were not bad at all and the staff at breakfast were friendly and attentive! Scary though to think by reviews this is about 15 / 30 in Sandown .. what must the worse ones be like?!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
9  Thank TeaJaySee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel

Been to Sandringham Hotel? Share your experiences!