“Nice place to stay with the special offers”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Sandown
Sussex
“Nice place to stay with the special offers”
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Very pleasant and helpful staff, VERY comfortable beds, new furniture in rooms and lounge/bar. Bathrooms could do with updating and will next time ask for a shower room as climbing ina and out of the bath for the attached shower head not very safe. Lovely swimming pool and jacuzzi, although may feel a little self conscious when walking through the games room when busy to the changing rooms. Food was decent, but not amazing but all waiter service. Waiters were really helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Parking was easy but can imagine very busy in the high season. Hotel right on seafront with lovely view accross the water. Great place for me and my Mum for 3 nights for a short break.

• Stayed November 2009
2 Thank phi121

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Coventry
Reviewed 18 October 2009

My husband and I spent six days at The Sandringham and was pleasantly surprised.
All staff were friendly and helpful, and we were pleased to see that the four course breakfast, as well as the 3 course evening meal were fully waiter service. There were many different choices for each course which would suit the fussiest of palates. The views from the dining room windows overlooked the beach and sea.
All rooms were en-suite and were clean and tidy if a little "tired". The only disappointment was the lack of a shower in the bathroom.
Beds were made each day and fresh towels supplied daily too.
We had two minor problems with the room, which were dealt with promptly.
We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to more able bodied persons, as the lift did not go down to the reception area, and disabled guests needed assistance to negotiate the stairs to the floor above reception.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DenzilG
Leicester
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We stopped in a 4 poster room with fantastic sea views. The room was large, with plenty of space to walk around, two comfortable seats and a table to sit at and watch the world go by when having a drink, it was too cold to sit on the balcony! Other guests can walk across in front of your room so be aware when changing with the curtains open!
Tea facilities, hair dryer, luggage rack, dressing table, a large wardrobe, cupboards,TV, twin bedside lights all of quality material made the room quite pleasent to stay in, BUT, the bathroom left a lot to be desired, very 1970s, with no shower curtain, hence water problems down the side of the bath, no shower holder to clip the handset into, and I only found the bath mat on the last day as it was hiding in the botton of the wardrobe, LOL.
The room is very small, adequate but that is about all, decoration/tiles need an up date.
The food was good with a reasonable choice on the menu, it was hot and mainly quickly served. The breakfast uniforms were from the years gone past and were more suited to the Titanic!! Staff,were in general, polite and friendly, some foreign staff who had a little difficulty in understanding at times.
The car parking always has been a problem for this hotel, as I have lived on the Island many years ago, but if you didn't mind paying a small fee and a short walk, you could guarentee a prking place in the boat yard just across the road, even for me, with walking difficulties, I managed it within a few minutes, I found it well worth it instead of being blocked in and unable to find the driver of the other car blocking me in..
When I booked the hotel, I was advised there were many steps in to and inside the hotel, and a lift up to three floors, all of which I managed with no serious problem, BUT any one in a wheel chair will have to be man handled up and down stairs,or out of the chair and walk, from reception, and even into the dining room, so please be aware of this.
Some of the facilities, swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi are set around the games room as are the changing rooms, so you have to walk out through there to get to the pool etc, some people may feel a little uneasy but I didn't find it a problem.

I can say that our stay was quite pleasent, good room, (mainly), good food and a good location, ferry included, and is worth paying the extra or you could find yourself over looking the High street and the shops and assocciated traffic noise.

The one way system is not really a problem, but please, all drivers, take extra care as the Island Police are super keen on speed limits, 30 means 30,40 means 40 etc, all the way from the start of the signs to the end of the restriction, as it should be of course, so pay special attention as the Traffic Officers conduct speed tests at all hours and park in NOT TOO VISIBLE PLACES, not hiding, but in places where you would least expect them, often just inside speed limit areas ,around bends etc, so please keep to the limits.
And NO, I didn't get caught in a spped trap LOL.
And YES, I would go back to the Sandringham Hotel again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lesterman
the west
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We booked a 2 night stay at the Sadringham Hotel to celebrate my 50th.Limited parking We were taken to our small room with sea views and balcony.But we looked over the kitchen roof with a street light at window level!!That was just the start,I was listening to my mpv when I heard a loud noisethat was the extractor fan on the roof.So it was then I had had enough.I could put up with the 70's bathroom with no shower no phone in the room but the smell and noise tipped me over.We stayed in that room1 night only to be moved to another whitch was larger but on opening the patio doors we had fumes fro the extractor fan by then all I wanted to do was go.I now know what it cost my partner 2009 prices but 1976 hotel But a least we got some of or money back.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jandkthewest
sandringhamiow, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2009
I am sorry you did not enjoy your recent stay at the Sandringham Hotel.

As you can see, many of our customers really like the hotel and our feedback is generally very good.

This said, things obviously weren't what you were expecting and I can only apologise. I don't know if we were aware of your 50th birthday celebrations at the time of booking and if we knew what exactly you were hoping for - I am sure we would have advised you accordingly had we known your exact requirements.

With regards to car parking, I am sorry if you found it to be limited. We have 30 free car parking spaces at the front of the hotel. These are on a first come first serve basis. We also have a private car park located 200 yards from the hotel with a further 50 parking spaces. Customers can book in to this car park for £2 a night.
I personally do not feel that parking is limited - in fact I would say that we have more parking at the Sandringham than any other hotel in Sandown!

I am sorry if you found the hotel dated - we have recently provided new furniture in all of our hotel bedrooms - this was specially imported from Malaysia and it is used in 5 star hotels across Asia.

We have also recently refurbished our bar and lounge area and this now boasts a fabulous new seating area and decor which is second to none!

Of course the more you pay, the better the hotel bedroom you will get. Our best bedrooms are on the top two floors of the hotel and these are called Superior Balcony Rooms and Four Poster Balcony Rooms.

I believe you booked a balcony room which is on the first floor and does have a restricted view - these rooms are smaller than the Superior Balcony and Four Poster Balcony Rooms.

I am sorry if you were disappointed. Perhaps these rooms had all sold out when you made your booking or perhaps you chose to pay just for a balcony rather than to pay the extra for one of the best rooms?

In any case, I am sorry if you were disappointed but I am pleased you decided to bite the bullet and check out early and that we were able to refund you a proportion of the money you paid for the time you didn't stay.

I ought to point out that as a two star rated hotel we are not obliged to provide a telephone in the bedroom, nor are we obliged to provide a shower in the ensuite bathroom.

All of our bedrooms have baths in the bathrooms with a shower attachment for hair washing.

We have 10 rooms in the hotel that have walk in showers, five of which are single rooms.

If a customer specifically requests a shower, we will of course give them a room with a shower, however there may be times when we are unable to accommodate, in which case we would tell you at the time of booking.

Customers do generally tell us when they book whether they would prefer a shower or a bath and believe it or not we do have requests for both!

Your feedback in mind, perhaps we could look into what we tell the customers about the bathrooms when we book, this to improve customer service and satisfaction.

For your information, 3 and 4 star hotels should provide at the very least a bath with a shower in the bath for showering (with shower screen or curtain).

It is a shame we were unaware of your specific requirements as we could have accommodated you another one of our hotels that has better equipped ensuite facilities.

Thank you for your comments and I hope this information has been helpful.

Travellers are raving about these Sandown hotels

East Sussex
Reviewed 19 September 2009

I recently spent a week on the Isle of Wight - 3 nights at the Sandringham Hotel and 4 nights at the Albion Hotel which is owned by the same family I understand,
The Sandringham Hotel is a large 100 plus bedroom hotel right on the sea front in Sandown and has a pool, jacuzzi, sauna and entertainment 4 nights a week.
The service at this hotel was absolutely first class - I especially commend the waiting staff and cleaners who do a brilliant job!
I would like to thank all the staff at the hotel that helped to make our stay so easy and comfortable.
I recommend this hotel to couples and families alike...

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dawnjacobs1
Coggeshall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Reading other reviews I expected this hotel to be shabby but it has been recently refurbished and it was delightful. The lounge was great......loads of comfy leather chairs, new carpets, balcony for smokers and sitting in the sun. The beds were incredibly comfortable - and I am fussy about beds! The rooms were spotlessly clean, the bathroom was not ultra modern but had a bath and a shower and not shabby. Loads of towels and you can ask for more. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The food is not top cuisine but is ok and satisfying. Wine list isnt wide but had some good wines. We had a waiter who was just brilliant and dealt with the needs of a stroppy 5 year old, a teenager, several middle agies and granny. Nothing was too much trouble. The entertainment was surprisingly good and i dont really do hotel entertainment but the singers are better than a lot of live music. Not a noisy hotel and very comfortable................thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will return. One tip.....use the paid car park which is a short walk away but safe, expansive and no risk of being hemmed in.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sooty1803
Hampshire
Reviewed 25 August 2009

The Sandringham Hotel provides everything to make your sea-front, island, break a Holiday-to-Remember and we would definitely recommend it as we have been staying there several times per year since the 1990s – and wouldn’t stay anywhere else. Their prices include breakfast and evening meal, plus free ferry travel from Southampton to Cowes and free parking, so this is a real bonus.

The huge lounge provides comfort, surrounded by a fresh and bright decor, with panoramic views of Sandown bay from inside and also from the large balcony. The large ballroom, which provides quality entainment four times a week, also has a balcony for those balmy evenings. Both the lounge and the ballroom have well-stocked bars. To keep you amused when the weather’s bad there is also a snooker table, football table game, swimming pool, and sauna downstairs, plus a pool table in the lounge,

Although some previous reviewers have complained about the accomodation, and staff, we can find no fault with either. The bedrooms are very comfortable, with hospitality trays, TVs, and quality furniture, and all (reception, catering, and house-keeping) staff are always helpful and willing to make your stay a happy one. All meals are varied and generous with several choices at breakfast time and a daily changing evening menu which contains three or four meal choices, including vegetarian.

What more do you want? A terrific hotel on a beautiful island!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HampshireCrew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
#1 of 9 in Ventnor
Melville Hall Hotel
Melville Hall Hotel
#2 of 31 in Sandown

Been to Sandringham Hotel? Share your experiences!