“A lovely stay, felt just like home”
Review of Wight Bay Hotel

Wight Bay Hotel
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I have been visiting the riviera hotel for more that 25 years, and it has only got better and better. the shocking reviews i have read, are most certainly not tre, in my opinion. we are always welcomed with such grace and enthusiasm. The hotel owners and staff are always willing to go out of their way to make everyone’s stay more enjoyable. I have spoken to various people of different age ranges when I have been there on vacation and they all have nothing but excellent reviews of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank francessa

Reviewed 16 June 2011

I have stayed at the Riviera on many occasions, upon reading the reviews below I feel I have to respond.
The staff at the hotel have always been pleasent and accomodating and have always gone out of their way to assist myself and my young family (even washing bibs for me on a two week stay!)
Upon arrivsl/departure I have always been asked if I can manage my bags and on occassions when I have had a lot someone has been called to assist me.
The hotel decor yes in some rooms may be 'old fashioned' however is extremely clean and tidy, it has never been an issue when Ive required 'extra towels' or even had a child who wet the bed.
I have also stayed in The Riviera during December when there has been frost and Ice outside and could definately never say it is cold all the rooms have gas central heating which are controlled on the individual radiators within the rooms, the corridors are too heated.
Food at The Riviera is exceptional , dinners are outstanding with a satisfying portion size. Staff/Chef have been more than happy to cater for my fussy children so much so they have even cut raw carrot into sticks for my eldest child as that is what he liked!
yes there may only be 1 vegetarian option however I have lived off the vegetarian menu for a 10 night stay and there has been much variety.
The breakfast menu is more than satisfying and adjustable to requirements the chef will serve variations to the breakfast i.e sausages and bacon or just bacon and toast etc.
As for local night life, the pier has a large arcade and end of pier entertainment i.e fishing, dodgems and childrens rides and having visited many seaside resorts in this country it is rather the same as any other! The locals can be loud/noisy on the seafront late on a saturday night however I have never had a major issue with walking around on a summer evening with my two children.
Places to eat - i would never recommend The Ocean Deck having that they nearly poisoned my father with an off beef roll for which the owner openly admitted that he had been served 'the old beef'! The Reef next door however is beautiful.
Hope this review reassures people due to visit this hotel

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank jackjoespud
Reviewed 16 June 2011

My family and I have been staying here since 1987. We took our children and they now take theirs. This is a seaside hotel of the best quality. It is extremely clean, the food is good and the staff can not do any more for you. I knew the previous owners as well as the present and I cannot fault either. I can honestly say that both Sunny and Minal and the rest of the staff could not be more helpful.
If you are looking for somewhere to stay on this lovely Island you will not do better...., for food and cleanliness, hence their 5 star award for food hygeine.
Try it for yourself and you will be satisfied.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheSpoards
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Once my partner and I arrived at the hotel first appearances were good but it soon went downhill from then on when we got into our room, everything was very old fashioned, the tv was tiny and looked like something from the 80's, you could only get 4 channels and the volume kept going from quiet to loud, the bed and pillows were very uncomfortable and we woke up with a bad back and neck everyday although we couldn't complain about the cleanliness of the room or the nice bathroom.

I was disappointed with the meals, the service was very good and the choice of food for meat eaters was good however if you are a vegetarian as I am you only get a choice of one thing or maybe two if you're lucky, all I could have for breakfast is porridge, a croissant or toast with marmalade (no jam that i could see) while my partner could have a full English breakfast with a rack of toast. Dinner was the same story for the starter and main meal, only one item on the menu for vegetarians, either pasta with cheese or broccoli with cheese(served in the same style of bowl every night), one night there was something different, Mushroom Volovants(as a main meal?) normally they would be a starter but not at this hotel, I had three on a plate which were very dry and hence I couldn't eat them, the puddings however were very nice and i actually had a choice!

I had the misfortune of being sick on the last night and couldn't believe it when my partner was asked to clean it up!! so these reviews about "the staff couldn't do enough for you" wasn't true in our case and these people must be talking about another Riviera Hotel, we found some of the staff very rude indeed.

To cut a long sorry short if you are under 60 and a vegetarian I would steer clear of the Riviera Hotel, the best part of the holiday is when we went home!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Suzypug
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Until our last night, the most I could say about our stay was that the maid service was excellent and the breakfast/dinner service was prompt, although the vegetarian options were very bland with little thought or effort put in. The mattress on our bed had us in agony from night two - whether it was a cheap and nasty one or just not to our liking I couldn't really say. What will last with us forever though is a shocking incident on our final night. During dinner service, my partner complained of feeling ill after eating the starter. She couldn't manage her main course and said she was going to be sick. She is disabled and suffers from an incurable condition known as Ataxia which affects her coordination and balance badly, so she cannot run and needs help walking or someone in very close attendance. So, we made an attempt to reach the nearest ladies toilet, going via the empty lounge / bar area. She didn't make it and threw up - on the carpet, on the bar, on herself and on me. Fortunately this was out of sight of the other diners. Obviously we were very distressed. I found a member of staff and informed her of what had happened and apologised. I then returned to my partner at the scene and we waited a good 10 minutes for a member of staff to turn up, directing other guests around the sick as we did so. When the member of staff arrived we apologised again, and believing the matter to be in hand, returned to our room to get washed and change our clothes. My partner changed first and while I was in the bathroom there was a knock at the door which my partner answered. When I came out of the bathroom she said the hotel manager had visited and asked "Where is he?" and, when she explained, he said "Tell him come down when him done!" Anyway, I had just finished dressing when there was another knock at the door. I opened it and it was the manager again. He abruptly said "You come now!", so I said to my partner I would be back in a minute. I followed him and he offered no explanation as to where we were going. Imagine my surprise when we arrived at the bar where some old towels were covering the sick on the carpet and a waiter stood with a mop and bucket. The manager looked at me and rudely said, in pigeon English; "You clean up with towel and put them in black bag. Use hot water for bar!" He then left the room! It took a second to sink in that I was actually being asked to clean up the sick! Being on a coach trip with no independent means of escape I decided I had little choice but to clean some of it up - clearly if I had refused, like I should have done, we would have been thrown out of the hotel. So, on hands and knees, with no rubber gloves or face mask ( I can only assume the hotel thought there was some kind of health and safety issue? ) I found myself cleaning up sick on our last night in the Isle of Wight. I pointed out to the waiter that this was not how you treat guests and he just said, "Whatever!". I then returned to our room and told my partner what had happened - she was gobsmacked! - before informing the coach driver that a serious complaint would be raised with the holiday organisers when we returned home the next day.
If you want to experience a real life 'Basil Fawlty' then this is the hotel for you.

Stayed: June 2011
5  Thank Shawry1970
Reviewed 5 June 2011

When I arrived at the Riviera Hotel, the outside of the hotel was well presented and clean. The further you got into the hotel, the more the standards slipped.

We arrived to a cold greeting and was never approached again by the staff. This contradicted the other reviews for a start. We weren't shown to our room, just told to go up the stairs. After 3 flights of stairs (which we were pre advised) we opened our door and were instantly disappointed. The wallpaper was stained and dated. The bed was the biggest let down, it was so old that it was lop sided where it was so worn. There was no duvet but in its place were 3 blankets, a crochet blanket with a extremely worn blanket on top that we would not use and took off the bed (see picture uploaded). Also the bed had so much dark hair in it that we felt like someone had previously been in it, not to mention the foundation stain on the pillow. At night the room was freezing and there was a terrible draft that made the door rattle so loudly that we didn't sleep at all. The breakfast was nice but again received a cold welcome by the staff, we became even more annoyed at how friendly they were to other guests (which we assume were the regulars as they knew them by name). All in all the hotel was a major disappointment, I am cautious to trust trip advisor reviews again as am dumbfounded that it has received such glowing recommendations in the past. There are no room photos available so please use ours as a reference.

If it is also your first trip to the Isle of Wight, we would recommend staying in Shanklin not Sandown as Sandown is dated, the pier was run down and the town was filled with youths who made it uncomfortable to walk through the town in the evening. If you are staying in Sandown, we would recommend the Ocean Deck pub which was a lovely sea front pub.

Room Tip: We honestly wouldnt recommend the hotel