“Good value”
Review of Wight Bay Hotel

Wight Bay Hotel
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Had a long weekend although basic was good value for the money this was a coach break , bedroom was very basic but clean , we asked for a room with a view but the only view we had was of a wall good job we were out most of the time , the bathroom was small and the shower cubical (plastic) extra small if you are more than 15stone request a room with a bath and shower you will otherwise have difficulty getting in and out .
Service in the restaurant was excellent as was the food our room was also kept spotlessly clean by our housekeeper .

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view facing the sea
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rory5

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I spent 4 nights at the Riviera Hotel, with a friend sharing a twin room.
The staff were very helpful. The food was also very good and nothing was a trouble to the staff and owners of the Hotel.
Although some decor was dated the rooms were kept clean and tidy .
The beach and coastline was close to the hotel and it was a short walk to the shopping centre.

Room Tip: We asked for ground floor and found this very cxonvenient as there is no lift
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2012

After reading a couple of previous reviews we were a little uncertain what we would find having booked a "travel style super saver" and not choosing our own hotel. We were pleasantly surprised though as the staff were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble for them. The rooms were very clean and compared well to other places we have stayed. There was a good choice of meals all served piping hot and very quickly. Serving staff were very helpful and even took the trouble to remember how I wanted my coffee every day. A nice touch that made me feel like it was a home from home.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We made an impromptu trip to IOW, had no reservations & just showed up & were promptly checked in. The rates they charged were very competitive. We got a room with a double and 2 singles. The interior was quite dated (think 80's floral wall paper, old pink curtains, etc). However the bathroom was clean, shower worked, there was plenty of space in the room and bathroom, so once you get past the decor it's quite nice. The beds won't suit everyone, they weren't particularly uncomfortable but good enough for a nights stay. The BnB was only a 5min walk from everything. Overall given their rates, this was a good choice, no real perks but if you're looking for perks, you need to be willing to splash out a bit more cash and find some place else.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank DGalot
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We arrived for a two night stay but after sleeping one night was ready to go home. the bed is so hard my back is still suffering and the pillow like slabs of concrete. The decor needs to be updated and the bedding brought into the 21st century. The only plus side is that the place was clean and the staff appeared to be friendly. I did not consider the breakfast to be a full english and would not bother again to visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynne D
Reviewed 14 October 2012

It's ok but that's about it not a place for young people. Mainly coach trips and old biddies. It was ok. That was it room was very basic felt like Doc and Marty in back to the future. I think my nans house is more modern. One good thing about the hotel is that the weather was good and we could get out of it! Also I really like the rock hard pillows. As I almost knocked the mrs out when play fighting. Would I go here again? No. But funny memories of a strange hotel. Defiantly worth a laugh. (Or not)

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Jtaz469
Reviewed 14 October 2012 via mobile

Groupon advertised a 2 night stay with afternoon tea and a glass of wine at the rivieria for £99 which we snapped up without an background checking!

6 months later I walked into the reception to check in to find a man arguing with the receptionist, the man shouted "I don't know how anyone can stay here, I want my money back" slightly awkward! What are we letting ourselves in for??

After parking the car we returned to reception where the lady was very appologetic and led us to our room to make the point the room we were in is not that bad. I think she upgraded us due to the situation I had witnessed and we had a beautiful view of the sea and sunrise, but the room itself was very poor. It was like staying in my nans bedroom for the weekend, with tassels from the lampshades and outdated wallpaper throughout the room and bathroom, its clearly has not been modernised since 1970.

We decided it could be worse so went to bed... To find we do not have a duvet but a sheet, a thin blanket. The pillows can no even really be called pillows more like concrete slabs with a sheet around them.

I love the IOW but it is safe to say I will not be hurrying back to the Riviera. It is a hotel for coach trips and older people. I would advice anyone who plans of staying their to take their own bedding if they want a decent nights sleep and set their expections LOW.

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Sticks1809
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
#22 of 29 in Sandown
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to Wight Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!