“A lovely stay in a homely hotel”
Review of The Wight

The Wight
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stayed at the Wight Montrene on a short break basis in August 2011. My husband has stayed at the Wight Montrene many times when on business on the Isle of Wight and always wanted to go back for a more leisurely break.
The staff at the Wight Montrene are extremely welcoming, the hotel is spotlessly clean and the food plentiful and very good. There's a nice bar with regular evening entertainment. Our room, located on the ground floor was clean and comfortable with french doors opening on to a little terrace with rose garden. The hotel is situated in a quiet location, only a short walk from the lovely sandy beach.
A big plus for the Wight Montrene is the fact it has a car park, which a lot of the hotels don't appear to have.
I would recommend the Wight Montrene without hesitation. I wish my stay could have been longer.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacquie R

Reviewed 4 September 2011

We have just returned from our third visit to the Wight Montrene. This time we booked a 2 bedroom suite, which had a double room and a room with a single and bunk bed in. Perfect for a family of 5. The shower room was separate from the bathroom (with bath, toilet and sink in). This made me happy after staying in hotels before where I just get in the shower and inevitably hear someone banging on the door and yelling that they "need the loo".

I was really looking forward to the food and we were not disappointed. Our waitress was absolutely lovely and she worked the children out pretty quickly (they loved the rolls) and basically bent over backwards for us. The service, again, was quick and efficient. We managed to get in and get the children fed and leave without too much fuss. (However if you want your service to be slower, we were told to inform the waitress, so don't worry about feeling rushed.) We didn't go to the entertainment in the evenings though, as quite honestly we all needed a walk after the sheer quantity of food. I highly recommend the Aubergine and Walnut bake, which was my personal favourite dish.

My husband had his first ever treatment in the Oasis treatment room. He had the "beach feet" pedicure and his face when he came back was so funny, he loved it! I would have gone for something myself if I hadn't had a few treatments the previous weekend.

There is a swimming pool with a baby/toddler pool attached, steam room, sauna and solarium. I used the steam room and it was lovely but we also swam every day and much of the time we had the pool to ourselves.

On our first night (31 August) we walked after dinner and discovered an illuminated carnival was about to take place. We stood and watched that and the children had a lovely time.

We also visited Blackgang Chine and Robin Hill (get the saver ticket and you can go back as much as you like to both parks in a week), and the beach of course, which is only a stone's throw from the hotel.

I would particularly recommend this hotel for families with younger children, and also to the older travellers. The entertainment in the evening is brilliant for older visitors, and indeed there was a coach party staying when we were there. They were a friendly bunch, and seemed to be having a lovely time.

For younger visitors (our children are 8,7,4 now) there are all the pool areas, a toddler pool outside, a small park, a huge selection of books, a pool table, and also the children's menu is a brilliant idea. How to make them feel special: give them their own menu but they can also chose from the main menu, and once the waitress works them out they get spoilt rotten (in our case with as many rolls as they can eat).

We only stayed for 3 nights, but it felt like a proper holiday. Thanks, Wight Montrene, we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank RebeccaEmin
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Due to last minute booking, we had a large spacious family room which included 1 double and 2 single beds, the room has all the essentials - TV, dresser, closet etc, and that was enough for the 3 of us. It was not cheap though at around 60 pounds for each of us. The bathroom lacked shampoo and body wash, and there was no lock, but in general was clean and functioned well. Staff at the reception were nice and helpful. Breakfast the next morning is not a buffet, which we would have preferred, but was definitely big enough.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Each of the staff were very welcoming, we had bed breakfast and evening meal, the meals in general were excellent amd the 5 course dinner was super and great value.
The Hotels location is ver convienient and the on site parking plentiful and secure.
On the whole a great place to be, we had a smashing time (our first time in IOW) and we will return again.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We found this hotel on the IOW tourist website.It was lucky for us . From the first contact by phone that arranged both accomadation and free ferry with sailings of our choice .to arrival everything ran smoothly. The rooms were well appointed and cleaned every day.The swimming pool was just the right size for us with jacuzzi and a steam room. There was a large choice of breakfast foods from cornflakes to full english and the evening meal was a different five course menu each night. The staff were all polite and friendly. Hotel was a five minute walk to the seafront but set back up its own drive so there was no noise from the passing traffic. The hotel also has complimentry WIFI

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2011

The Montrene Hotel has been our family destination for a number of trips in the past ten years. We have seen ownership change, upgrades and we have stayed there in June, July and in August over the years. I have read many of the reviews posted here (from over the past two years) and pleased to see most of very positive. We like the staff very much, appreciate the breakfast (my sons talk about the Jurassic for weeks before we arrive) and we can't say enough about Alec the bar manager, plus that Jacuzzi (so what if you have to pay £1?). Our family has its own 'challenges' and the desk staff (whom I assume are mostly owners) has been very tolerant.
They also helped us celebrate two important birthday holidays on two successive days.
Yes, the walls are thin (that's why we bring our fan to the Montrene) and I would suggest upstairs to avoid the sound of people walking above you (I travel a lot for work and this is my pet peeve).
Yes there are lots of signs but that helps make it all very clear when things are open and where kids can go (not in the snooker room thankfully).
The location is great, our room was nice and big (for three) and cleaned every day while we had our late breakfast (I learned to love kippers this time).
Having the ferry booked and paid for with the room is a nice touch.
Though this was our fifth or sixth time at the Montrene, it was the first time we used the steam room (free!) and took advantage of the young lady providing manicures and head message. It all added to a relaxing start to the week.
I would like to see some more attention to the outdoor 'playground' for small children. But each time we go there is some nice updates, so you never know.
I am always surprised more people don't take advantage of the evening entertainment, but not being British-born I find it all part of the seaside experience. You just have to be in the right mood to be one of three people singing along to a Neil Diamond song (watch out for Alec on the harmonica!).
Sandown is full of rundown hotels, sad pubs and poor restaurants (though try Flanagan’s near the pier) and I have stayed in one other hotel in town, so I would say the Wight Montrene is the best in town. I can't say enough about having a big free parking lot and being two minutes from the beach.
We love coming and look forward to next summer.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank jiboulden
Reviewed 16 August 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights from 6th August 2011, on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. We were greeted warmly upon our arrival, and were shown to our room, which was on the first floor. Our room was accessed via a narrow staircase, so it was a bit difficult to negotiate with large suitcases. The room was an adequate size, but the view was just of the roofs and outbuildings. We had the same table throughout our stay, for both breakfast and dinner, which we found was a good idea. Dinner was indicated as between 6.30-7.30 pm, but as we came down at 7.15pm on the first night we found that we were rushed a little. The hotel did not appear to be full even though it was high season and few people stayed for the evening entertainment. This led to a flat atmosphere, and although it was no fault of the hotel, it detracted from our stay. I have given the hotel a high rating overall though, as had it been livelier in the evenings I'm sure we would have enjoyed it more.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GazL2003
wightmontrene, Owner at The Wight, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2011

Whilst appreciating the client’s praise we are somewhat puzzled in respect of two factors.
Firstly Evening Dinner is not from 6.30 to 7.30pm – it is until 8.00pm. That is on the bedroom browsers, key cards and the illuminated notice board in the foyer etc.- but is also verbally stated by the Reception staff when showing new clients around the hotel on arrival. So the feeling of being “rushed” when entering the Dining Room at 7.15pm is even harder to understand. But as an organization we prosper by listening to comments! In future Reception staff will add “We are proud of our speed and efficiency of service, but if you would like to slow things down then just ask your waiter or waitress to give 5 minutes between courses!
Secondly during the period of the clients’ visit the hotel was very nearly full with a room occupancy rate of 93% - considering the financial woes of the country and that schools had yet to break up we think rather good – as does our competitors who, unless taking cheap coaches (£20.00 per person per night!) were not at half that level. The hotel does however have the ability to "hide" clients and hardly ever gives the impression of being over-full.
Thirdly it does have to be said that clients vary from week to week in respect of their enjoyment of entertainment. About one week out of 4 we get a really flat week (most clients during the week in question were not out on the town but tucked up in bed by 10pm!) one in four a really good week and the other two middling. Our entertainment is as good as any in the town – if anybody can suggest what to do to improve matters we would love to hear their suggestions.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Royal Hotel
Trouville Hotel
Trouville Hotel
#3 of 29 in Sandown
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa

Been to The Wight? Share your experiences!