“Fantastic”
Review of The Wight

The Wight
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 15 October 2009

We stayed only for 3 nights but will definetly go back again. It is situated close to the beach but sheltered from the wind. Large carpark which itself is a huge bonus. The rooms were small but very clean with a large bathroom. Ours was still to be refurbished. Excellent facilites for a small hotel, pool games room, billiard room sun terrace with childrens pool and sunbeds table and chairs. We only had B&B but I cannot say enough about the breakfasts. You could have what you wanted and the choice was great. The staff were very friendly but very discreet, you felt like you had been there for ages. They have a great dinning room and a lovely bar area with a dance floor and stage. Even though there was only a few people in the hotel they still had Steve playing the organ. This is somewhere that we would recommend to anyone especially. I can't speak too hightly of it.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 September 2009

We stayed at the Wight Montrene for 15 nights and had a wonderful, relaxing holiday. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the food was very very good and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Worth every penny, well worth a visit

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I stayed with my Car Club, for the IoW Classic car show weekend. This Hotel is a little hidden but for the Classic cars it was good parking. The posts in the car park are a fantastic idea, some have written about then as a complaint but that is only if you are dim!, all you do is park between them It’s SIMPLE! The accommodation is very good very clean and well serviced rooms. The staff are very pleasant, some stayed in the evening and had a drink and a laugh, all very friendly. Bar prices are not too high. It is only a short walk to one of the islands best sandy beaches. The food is good and the evening meal is five courses, breakfast is good and offers a good choice. There is a good clean swimming pool, we went on two morning’s before b/fast, I've never done that before! Also really nice to have a swim at the end of the day. Clean, comfortable, friendly and not expensive. We’re going again next year, what better recommendation.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ray-Mary53
Reviewed 24 September 2009

Have just returned from four nights at the Wight Hotel.

It was our 7th year attending Classic Car shows at Newport and Ryde and our first concern is a large car park to accomodate our beautiful cars. This was certainly a tick on our list as the car park was huge and the owners had sensibly asked everyone to park between the white posts so that all had a parking space and it worked very well.

We were met on arrival by Jude with a huge friendly smile who explained everything we needed to know and showed us to our rooms.
We were not disapointed as even the single rooms we booked were spacious and all were very clean.

Evening meals were fantastic!!! five courses!!! Service was excellant and Wendy in particular looked after us superbly.

Breakfast set us up for the day and we didn't really need much during the day knowing we were coming "home" for a real good slap up meal.

I was expecting the staff to be on a slow down because of it being at the end of the summer season but they were bright, chirpy and so attentive even when I stood staring vacantly thinking which way do I go!!!

Already work has begun to spruce the Hotel up for the next year and hearing the enthusiasm in Fran's voice about what they intend to do to the place I for one can't wait until we go back again.

The Hotel is in a superb position, just off a busy road but you don't hear the traffic, huge car park ( a real plus in Sandown) and a shop with cash point opposite the driveway. Turn right and a short walk you are in the High Street and the beach is straight in front of you. Fabulous location for everything you need.

We would like to thank Fran & John and all their staff for such a wonderful stay and wish you every success for the future..........we will be back!!!! ....soon!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank SueSSurrey
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We had a wonderful stay at the Wight Montrene. Our thanks to Fran and her staff for making our first visit to the Isle of Wight such an enjoyable experience. Nothing was too much trouble. The room was very clean, beds comfortable and my response to clients who found the bathroom had a smell, I agreed on walking in, but left the bathroom window open day and night and after short time the smell had gone. Our first day we had a problem with the shower, but it was our error, and thereafter no problem at all. As for the food and service in the restaurant it was excellent. The portions are certainly more than adequate. The staff work efficiently and as quickly as they could. Some guests should be more tolerant as the staff are very obliging. I do agree that the floorboard/ceilings do mean that guests in the ground floor are distrubed by the upstairs guests, not sure what can be done there. I think there will be changes over the coming months to the decor which will improve the hotel. We hope to return in the very near future and would have no hesitation in returning. Our thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BilliePig
Reviewed 14 September 2009

The hotel is well positioned in Sandown to give easy access to all the amenities and is just a short walk away from the seafront and as a result is very quiet. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. Food was plentiful and very tasty, offering something for all tastes. Facilities for a fairly small hotel were many. All in all we thought that this hotel gave excellent value for money and we will be returning for another visit in the future.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank towngirlRedhill
Reviewed 13 September 2009

I stayed at the Wight Montrene for a few days.

On booking in to my room. I noticed a smell. Also the bathroom had a bath and not a shower. I asked for a change of room because my daughter is Special Needs and the room was promptly changed (according to the hotel - a more expensive room for which the charge was not passed on which is nice). The hotel manager dealt with the issue immediately and without a fuss.

There was still a smell in the second room - not as bad as the first room but I put up with it because I didn't want to kick up too much of a fuss. Also the floor boards on the floor above me are very creeky and the walls very thin. When waiting in reception to book out another guest complained about the state of the room.

However, the service is superb - the reception staff assisted me with post codes for my SatNav for places of interest. There is a free car park and the hotel is ideally located for the beach.

On e-mailing the hotel about the above feedback, the hotel manager was extremely defensive about the issue of the smell citing that the carpets had been changed only months before which is all well and good but anyone can puke on the carpet the day after it being newly laid - there's still a smell! He is obviously very passionate about his hotel which is a good trait, but I do not think there was any reason for the manager to call other guests who had stayed there when I did to check if there was a smell in their room too! Again - he was being defensive yet protective of his hotel and its reputation. I was not very happy about the manager asking me to give the hotel 4/5 on Trip Advisor instead of 3/5 citing that a low score could jeopardise the jobs of his staff. Firstly it's up to me how many points I give and if someone gives a low-average score, that an only mean feedback for improvement surely?

Overall not a bad hotel for the service but the decor needs some serious upgrading and soundproofing work done. The hotel is Special Needs / disabled friendly.

• Stayed: July 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
Trouville Hotel
Trouville Hotel
#3 of 29 in Sandown

Been to The Wight? Share your experiences!