“A superb stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Wight

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Wight
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Sandown
Strasbourg
“A superb stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2009

We recently spend 3 days at the Wight Montrene with another couple. We were so pleased with our stay that we promised ourselves to write a review upon our return. First of all, we must say that we all disagree with "Bobski - avoid at all costs". We had a great time. Both rooms were very well equiped, with flat screen TV and free Wi-Fi ; Our bathroom was very clean indeed and our room was spotless. The service and the food in the restaurant were first class, both for Breakfast (what a choice !) and for Dinner. The Pool, Sauna, Steam Room and Jacuzzi were spotless ; we found the Staff and Management very attentive and responsive - The four of us would certainly recommend this Hotel - 100% !

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank TheFoxStrasbourg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Esses
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2009

I have just spent a night at this hotel, staying in room 146. £74.00 for the room for the night. If this hotel is No.1 in Sandown, I can only suggest that visitors to the Isle of Wight stay outside the town. I am truly amazed it has this rating.
The hotel has a modern brick facade, but behind this lies a very antiquated hotel. Our room, was in a time warp, with a steel white bath with three chips, and a mirror with a large blotch in it. Paint is peeling below the mirror. The room is artexed floor to celing as are all the the corridors. The bed was comfortable, but the headboard was attached to an MDF surround, it is all so 1970's. There was a modern flat screen TV, that was the only concession to 2009.
Now to breakfast. My partner asked for Bran Flakes the lady who was serving us bought muslei. Could not the cereals be put out so you could help yourself? I asked for coffee, and the coffee was luke warm. I asked for milk to go with the coffee and it was delivered ice cold. I asked the waitress to change the coffee, which she gladly did, but then proceeded to bring the coffee, and the milk (now heated) in separate journeys. No thought was given to bringing a cup so off she went again! I was aked if I would like white or brown toast, I asked for brown and they delivered white! My partner asked for a few fruit slices to go with her museli, and tinned grapfruit segmants and tinned mandarin orange slices which looked very tired was what was delivered. Along with fresh melon which should have been a lot riper.
My cooked breakfast was delivered in a flash, so had obviously been prepared earlier even though the menu said that whilst the kitchen liked to prepare some food in advance, it inferred the rest was cooked to order. The oil in which the food had been cooked was old and tired. I could taste it all morning afterwards.
The diningroom is quite attractive, but could they not do better than to put plastic plants in the window recesses? Come on.
Finally to the swimming pool and jacusi, which we used immediatly after booking in at about 6.45pm. The owner of the hotel said the pool closed at 7.30pm, which is remarkably early, and the jacusi took £1.00 coins,
which should to my mind be free. They also charge to use a dedicated p.c. for internet, though to be fair the taking go to charity. The pool was clean and dandy. The jacusi was however dirty, and was pointed out to the hotel owner when he came to close the facility down at 7.55pm. He was not best pleased to find us both there, but since no one had asked us to leave and the lights had only dimmed 10 minutes earlier, we still were. I informed the owner that the jacusi was dirty, he said it was not. I therefore dragged my fingernails along the black scum on the sides, to which his response was"somenone must have been using suntan lotion" In November??? I would wager it had not been cleaned in several days. The before and after shower appears to only deliver ice cold water.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Bobski_8
wightmontrene, Owner at The Wight, responded to this review, 18 November 2009
THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY!

We were not at all surprised by this – indeed we would have been astonished to have been left out because they complained about everyone and everything.

On arrival they immediately complained that the hotel did not have illuminated signs. I apologized for this but explained that local planning laws did not allow same. They were offered dinner in the hotel but, stating that they wanted fish (which was not on that evening’s menu) enquired and were told about the various restaurants which were between 200 and 500 yards from the hotel. They also wanted the pool and sauna. They were told that the pool was open 7.30am until 7.30pm but that the sauna was not possible as the time was now 6.45pm and the sauna takes over 30 minutes to come up to a usable temperature. It was explained however that as well as the pool the Jacuzzi was available – always warm and turbulated but, if full action required, then a £1.00 coin in the slot for 20 minutes.

As stated the clients were informed that the pool closed at 7.30pm. The close-down is automated and in stages. At 7.20pm the pumps on the Jacuzzi stop, followed at 7.30pm by the pumps which circulate the pool water - and these actions tend to remind any reasonable user that the pool is closing. Fifteen minutes later, giving clients ample time to leave the building, the main lights go out - leaving just dim illumination from some blue LED’s. Yet at 7.55pm when I went to the pool hall to check the chlorine and acid levels I heard voices. Alarmingly I realised that the clients, having ignored both the closing time and the sequential close down, were still in the Jacuzzi in comparative darkness! I explained that this was against every safety rule that one could think of and grudgingly they climbed out and left. Before leaving however the gentleman drew my attention to what he referred to as dirt just above the water level in the Jacuzzi. At first I did indeed deny this because a) the action of the chemical in the water has bleached out some of the colour from the glass-fibre below the water and I thought that the darker colour above the waterline was what was confusing him and b) the very dim blue lighting did not allow proper inspection. Using the torch that I had brought down to the pool (rather proof of the low level of the lighting!) I found that, whilst in no way a black scum as per the wording used in the complaint, there were indeed a spattering of dark greasy specks, varying in size from pinhead to match-head, in places around the jacuzzi up to approx 3 inches above the waterline and which could be scratched off with a fingernail. My exact comment (as opposed to that in the complaint) was that the main problems encountered in a seaside resort hotel pool were sand from the beach, suntan oils, body oils, lotions and hair oil. Obviously in November neither the sand nor suntan oil is particularly applicable! In respect of what is later described as ice cold water in the shower possible he lives in a relatively small house where the shower is within a few feet of the hot water cylinder. Where however a greater distance is involved then most users appreciate that if nobody else has used the shower for some time it has to be run for maybe 10-15 seconds for the hot water to come through!

After changing to go out our barman was asked for directions to the restaurants. Later they returned and said that it was the last time that they would listen to his recommendation - rather odd as only directions, not recommendations, had been given. The client complained that they had gone to one of our Indian restaurants where they had ordered an off-menu dish of curried sea bass which he described as having been mushy – surely hardly surprising for curried fish – and that the meal had been expensive at £60.00. He said that he had brought his wife back as she was losing her temper but that he was then going to go back to the restaurant. On his return he said that he had got his tip back! I knew nothing off this until after they had left the following morning when I was requested to speak with another couple in the next room to theirs who were complaining that they had got but little sleep as they had spent most of the night arguing.

The standard of our food and service is normally highly praised and so I have no intention of dwelling on the client’s many and varied problems at breakfast but the waitress who served them has been with us for 8 years and is normally very efficient – possibly however she was, on this occasion, unnerved by the clients. The point was made by another couple who witnessed the one sided altercation that they felt sorry for the waitress and that many of the problems would have been avoided if they had bothered to read our extensive breakfast menu before ordering rather than demand what they wanted without bothering to look! That for instance would have avoided the later comment that if they had known that porridge was available they would have had it. Two points however. Firstly the complaint that that the gentleman’s cooked breakfast was produced too quickly – most of the items needed are produced on a steady stream basis so are freshly prepared but usually instantly available when ordered – eggs etc. are however cooked to order. Secondly the claim that the oil that the food was cooked in was old and tired is rather a mystery as we are one of the very few hotels on the Island to hold a 5 Star Hygiene Certificate (last inspection 26th October 2009 and now held for 3 continuous years) and in any case, with the exception of fried eggs, everything is grilled! I do not therefore feel that our food was the cause of the bad taste in his mouth.
dorset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2009

We cannot rate this Hotel highly enough. The food is fantastic it has a wonderful friendly family atmosphere with staff that care.
It is ideally situated away from the noise and bussle while being very close to all amenities (walking distance).
It also has a decent sized car park.
We have not hesitation in recommending this Hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank apricotlil
Melbourne Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2009

My cousin and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during the end of September. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. We had half board and the meals were simply scrumptious. Lovely service and food in the restaurant every night. The breakfasts were huge and equally as delicious as the dinner at night. The rooms were small but very clean and were more than sufficient. We were on a bottom floor and one morning we were woken by the guests in the overhead room walking around early morning! However the car parking space was a great bonus and the location to the High Street and beach were excellent being so close. We enjoyed our stay immensely and would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Downunder020
Eastbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2009

We stayed only for 3 nights but will definetly go back again. It is situated close to the beach but sheltered from the wind. Large carpark which itself is a huge bonus. The rooms were small but very clean with a large bathroom. Ours was still to be refurbished. Excellent facilites for a small hotel, pool games room, billiard room sun terrace with childrens pool and sunbeds table and chairs. We only had B&B but I cannot say enough about the breakfasts. You could have what you wanted and the choice was great. The staff were very friendly but very discreet, you felt like you had been there for ages. They have a great dinning room and a lovely bar area with a dance floor and stage. Even though there was only a few people in the hotel they still had Steve playing the organ. This is somewhere that we would recommend to anyone especially. I can't speak too hightly of it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2009

We stayed at the Wight Montrene for 15 nights and had a wonderful, relaxing holiday. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the food was very very good and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Worth every penny, well worth a visit

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

I stayed with my Car Club, for the IoW Classic car show weekend. This Hotel is a little hidden but for the Classic cars it was good parking. The posts in the car park are a fantastic idea, some have written about then as a complaint but that is only if you are dim!, all you do is park between them It’s SIMPLE! The accommodation is very good very clean and well serviced rooms. The staff are very pleasant, some stayed in the evening and had a drink and a laugh, all very friendly. Bar prices are not too high. It is only a short walk to one of the islands best sandy beaches. The food is good and the evening meal is five courses, breakfast is good and offers a good choice. There is a good clean swimming pool, we went on two morning’s before b/fast, I've never done that before! Also really nice to have a swim at the end of the day. Clean, comfortable, friendly and not expensive. We’re going again next year, what better recommendation.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ray-Mary53
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
#5 of 54 in Shanklin
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa

Been to The Wight? Share your experiences!