All reviews spotlessly clean room wonderful stay steve montpellier comfort
Reviewed 3 August 2010

The room we had was large, it had a table and chairs and even had a fridge. We were given a jug of milk too. Unlike other hotels, the owner does not mind you taking food back to your room which was great. The beds were extremely comfortable. The bathroom was very roomy and the shower was wonderful, nice and powerful. The views were amazing and made our stay even more pleasurable. The Hotel itself is situated on a hill and if you cant climb hills then this isnt the place for you, but if you can then you are in for a wonderful treat! The owners are really lovely people and we will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Had a problem with a company I worked for - they didn't get me accommodations. Searched the Net. Emailed the hotel. Got an instant reply and with a little negotiation got the right in/out times sorted. The town is dead after about 10 pm. So be sure to get there in time. My room was great. Shower, bed, tea-table with a jar full of pretty decent tea bags, kettle and a mini fridge good for cooling a couple of bottles of some amazing local ale (seriously recommend to get some, I think it is called Ale of Wight)... and the view to the sea from my bed... wow... That was outstanding! I never ordered Full Moon rising above the pear, I think that was 'on the house' :)

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 April 2010

This hotel is close to the beach and the main street. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Loved the family sized fridge and the generous supply of tea and coffee.
Informal and relaxed atmosphere. Didn't see much of the owners but that suits me fine.
Second visit and I'll definitely be returning next year. Don't let the cobwebs put you off (previous review). This hotel is NOT dirty.
The restaurant just across the road provides a fabulous all day breakfast so you can get up as early or late as you like. Or you can have breakfast for lunch. What a great idea.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jacrut
Reviewed 24 February 2010

The Montpelier Hotel is the worst B&B I have ever seen. The room itself could use a new coat of paint, there were cobwebs on the light fixtures, and brownish drip marks on the baseboards and below the windows. The room was damp, windows dripping with condensation and the bed even felt slightly damp. The bed was the absolute deal breaker. The bedding was made of some sort of polyester that made plastic scrunching sounds when you sat on it-- The mattress was so soft and spongy it didn't feel like a mattress, laying on the bed caused both my head and feet to lay below my waist (like laying on a soft egg). It makes my landlord's £100 Argos mattress feel deluxe! The only positive: The bathroom was clean and the location is excellent. The proprietor was not especially friendly, was unapologetic about the bed and we were charged for two nights after we literally walked in the room, walked out and found another hotel down the road because we had booked in advance and he claimed to be unable to re-rent the room. There are many other places to stay in Sandown, and unless this place is seriously upgraded, I would not advise staying here.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank markasaurus
theghostUK, Owner at The Montpelier, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2010

The only thing the customer asked for was sea views which is what they got, they didn't specify on booking that they wanted hard beds. All our beds are comfortable as many of our guests have told us and written in the guest book in the hall. The guest was offered another room with a harder bed but no sea views as the guests in that room had just arrived and would have liked sea views, the guest the told me they had booked in elsewhere and didn't want the other room anyway. They have added a photo of a light fitting claiming there was a cobweb, nothing was found and a photo of the crumpled bed which they had obviously used before vacating the room so the room had to be recleaned. As with any booking given time we try to fill the room and if we can we will make a refund but this was on the day and we couldn't let it. At any time there is always someone staying here that has stayed before so we must be doing something right, just not to this guests satisfaction.

Reviewed 5 August 2008

We stayed at the Montpelier in July, Steve & jan were great and could not help us enough, we even had a great night across the road in a bar where Steve was doing a disco, great DJ great evening Thanks.
when the front doors were opened on our arrival we were amazed at the entrance hall, the room was clean and spacious and as their website said " plenty of wardrobe space" we had plenty of milk and coffee, not like other places we've stayed where you get 2 and have to buy the rest and we had great views out to sea and as stated it is just across the road from the beach.
we will definately be returning next year.
It's only a 3 star but 5 star treatment, well recommended.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family