“Very poor” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Sandown
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Reading some of the reviews they must be made by the owner or friends of, read the real ones which tell the truth.
We were on the island to pick up a new boat and arrived at around 8.30 pm to find no food available so we went to the local fish and chip shop as directed by the owner, once we returned we had our food downstairs, we explained we were leaving at 5.30am the next morning so wouldn't be having breakfast and was it possible to have a cold drink instead the answer was no and we were charged for our 2 drinks on top of our £80 we had already paid.
The front of the B and B had old cars in a state of repair laying so we had to park in the street.
Once we were shown our room we found it to smell like an old folks home with a bed which didn't seem to have fresh sheets, the carpets looked like they had been out of a skip along with the furniture in the room.
The toilet and shower room was very home made and the shower would go from freezing to boiling hot which burned my wife's arm, we have reported this to the HSE inspector as a child would have been scalded if they had used it.
We left very early in the morning so were unable to confront the owners but we would never use this place again never.
Another point which my wife highlighted when driving home was our banking card details were written down in their book which is illegal, we have reported this to our bank incase the details are used by someone looking at that book.

Room Tip: If this had been a holiday we would have had a very direct conversation with the owners at opening t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Garry R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Whitstable, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed at this lovely little hotel at the beginning of September for 4 nights. The staff are incredibly friendly and looked after us as if we were one of their own! Nothing was too much trouble for them. We were booked in for bed and breakfast but ate evening meals every night, and all the food was lovely. We were allowed to tweak the menu, and being vegetarian this was great for me. Mum even had bacon and egg one night as she fancied it!! Definitely returning to stay here again in the future.
The outside of the hotel is very welcoming with beautiful hanging baskets and a small fish pond with a fountain in the car park.
We were given a ground floor room without having to request it, as my mother was with me and she has mobility problems.
To cap it all, you can even take your dog to stay with you if you want to!!
There is a large fish tank with an amazing collection of huge and magnificent tropical fish which is totally relaxing to watch... could have watched them for hours!
The hotel is a short walk around the corner from Sandown railway station and is also close to the town centre and the beach... an ideal base for a holiday to remember!
Stacey, Kathy and Steve, you helped to make our holiday experience a truly great one, thank you all so much.

Room Tip: ask if you have special requirements, we were put in a ground floor room without having to ask as my...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

This was a last minute booking for a family of 4 and Steve was very, very helpful. He had only a double room and he took that extra effort to find out if there was a room available at the next door neighbour and accommadated us by providing an extra bed in the room. He helped us in directly booking the ferry and didnt even demand an advance. Overall stay was very pleasant.

Had one minor irration which could have been avoided - After we checked out, we got a call that there were two towels missing from the room. If this is a family run hotel they should have know how many towels were put in the first place. Not sure why would anyone want to take used towels from a Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank arun_ben10
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

Hotel was very clean. Beds extremely comfortable. Food was amazing. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. They may us feel very welcome. It was as if we were staying with friends or family. I thoroughly recomend this hotel and will be returning there next time I go go the iow on holiday. It was also very easy to get to by road and in a good position for many of the islands attractions.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and had a lovely time. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, the food was lovely. We had a good choice of breakfast and it was always tasty and plentiful. The hotel is in a good position it is only a 10 minute walk to a lovely beach. Could not fault anything about our stay, thank you to all concerned.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Berks,Reading
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

I went on a school trip to this horrible hotel,the room's were freezing the windows would'nt close.All night long the door kept opening and we were all very scared.

The beds were really uncomfortable the showers would'nt work all the people in my room including me had cold showers for a whole week! plus I slipped in the shower and really hurt my foot(the showers were so cold this is how I slipped I couldn't wait to get out of them).

There was a cat wondering around the hotel and it was allowed in the kitchen, I saw the chef pick it up as dinner was cooking. I found cat hairs in my meals. I also have flea bites on my arms and legs.

We smelt smoke from our room. One of staff smelt of cigarettes and beer.

I was really disapppointed because we were all looking forward to the trip.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Virginia P
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

I have just got back after spending 4 enjoyable days on the Isle of Wight and I cannot recommend this hotel enough. I went with my 9 year old son and it was a home from home with a fantastic communal living living room and a great breakfast.

By far the most important thing was the personal service. The staff knew our names something you would never get at a large chain and waited on us hand and foot. They went above and beyond what is requested of them and even helped dry my sons shoes and clothes after soaking himself (fully clothed) in the sea.

This is the second time I have stayed here, and will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business