“needs shutting down”

Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
hampshire
“needs shutting down”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

The pictures really help to book this but in reality its like a run down YMCA worse DONT DO IT AT ANY COST.This was supposed to be a relaxing time for my Husband who is due to go into hospital for an operation and our first wedding anniversary. We will never foreget it. The smell when you walk in is foul and offensive to your senses. The carpets need a good hover and clean not been done properly in years moving the furniature would be a good idea to as you could see the dirt and dust around all furniature in our room the walls were covered in black marks one had blood on it the wardrobe door had tea or coffee down it from previous people. the bath panel was cracked and a piece missing and as for the floor around the edges and corners it was a dirty brown with hairs. Hotwater? took about five minuets to get teppid the shower was a trickle.You can here the other rooms as if they were with you in your room from above and next door. Breakfast dont bother unless you are prpared for un cooked and cold food not just our opinion but couple sat on table next to us as well the toast was uneadable as it was burnt and like rock. The breakfast waiting staff need clean uniforms as well. The bar staff dont have a clue tried to sell beer that needed the lines cleaning as there was yeast floating in beer and very cloudy. tables were sticky not cleaned from night before sign said open from 5pm but actually when they feel like it not till 5.50 when we tried to get served with off beer. Pool area un cared for rubbish and un kept lawns and plants the pool was cloudy and un inviting. This was our worst night mare ever and stressed my husband out which was not what we wanted. The manageress told me that this is a COACHING INN funny how its advertised as a HOTEL and on there bill as a HOTEL trading standards might like this. WE WOULD NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN OR RECOMEND EITHER BOOKED THROUGH BOOKING .COM NEVER AGAIN TERRIBLE

Room Tip: ANY where but here
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank traceykhampshire
Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
I am really sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and point out issues regarding cleanliness. No other issues were reported regarding the water temperature. I am disappointed to note that you felt the food was not our usual standard as we genuinely receive excellent feedback regarding this aspect of the hotel. The hotel is part of a coach tour operating business but this doesn’t suggest that we are not a hotel. We aim to offer comfortable accommodation, good food and excellent hospitality. The General Manager confirms that all your issues were raised at the hotel and dealt with during your stay. I do not offer this as an excuse as the cleanliness should have been checked prior to your arrival and for this we offer our apologies. I have taken all your comments on board. You feed back is important to us and I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Was a bit wary about going there after reading some of the comments made by others, but found that we had a lovely time. Rooms were clean and had all facilities. Meals were very good with a choice catering for all tastes and the service was excellent.

While not on the sea front, it was only a short walk away and the area was very quiet which is more than could be said if we were on the sea front. We had single rooms at no extra cost which is unusual as many places have a single room supplement which bumps up the cost of a holiday.

The staff were very helpful and very friendly and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel’s cleanliness, quality of food, and the hospitality of the staff. I am very pleased to read that we have met your expectations. We really do value your custom and we will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.
pkoz43
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The staff couldn't have done anymore to make me feel at home, and went above and beyond to ensure all my needs were met. The location of the hotel is very good, only a few minutes walk from the beach and close (but not too close) to major roads for connections to Newport etc. Nice quiet area and i did book a twin room but i phoned the hotel if i could have a ground floor room for my mum what they done for my mother was gave her a double ground floor room and gave me a single room at no extra cost the staff were very helpful and i was very grateful for what they done for my mother as my mother finds it hard to walk and i would say there again for the staff thankyou for your help

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank pkoz43
Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hospitality of the staff at the hotel. The hotel aims to offer quality accommodation, excellent hospitality and good value for money. I am very pleased to read that we have met your expectations. We really do value your custom and we will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Booked this hotel for a recent visit after it was heavily promoted in one of the IoW website. It is a quite residential location but at the same time within 8-10 min walk to wonderful Sandown beach. The rooms were clean and so was the linen, towels etc. Staff were helpful.
The hotel rooms however are desperately in need of a makeover. The carpets are worn-out, the ventilation in the rooms is poor and the quality of decor pathetic. The bathroom shower seems to be fit for a child, definetly not for an adult. The TV is the size of an iPad. The rooms remain constantly overheated in the summer and to make matters worse, there are no fans in the rooms. The staff don't seem to be concerned or very helpful over this issue. We had to find and drive to the 24 hr Tesco in Ryde hunting for a fan - but they didn't have any!
The dinner served in the hotel's restaurant has a typical smell of hospital food- so didn't have the heart to even bother. The average age of other clients in the hotel was aroud 70years +, so I am guessing that the hotel generally caters for a specific segment with specific requirements.

Room Tip: Its much cooler and ventilated on ground floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelistaVB
Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Sorry to read that the décor did not meet your expectations but thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay, and that you found the cleanliness of the hotel did met your expectations. All the TV’s are new 19 inch flat screens. The hotel doesn’t currently have air conditioning due to a lack of demand. However, I take on board that some spare fans would be useful during the summer to help circulate the air. We really do value your custom and we will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.

Travellers are raving about these Sandown hotels

Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

This hotel was not worth the £90 per night room only that we paid July 2012. Friendly staff yes, but that could not make up for the awful room which had not seen a paintbrush in decades - much like the rest of this grotty dump. On first seeing our room we asked the general manager if there was anything else we could possibly upgrade to, but apparently we were in one of the better rooms compared to some of the others! She took pity on us and included breakfast as we were so upset and disappointed. As we'd booked for 6 nights we even trawled around the island trying to book a better alternative, but all the nice places were full, so we had to put up with it. My husband got trapped in the shower because it was so tiny with folding doors, and we were greeted with the smell of damp on entering the room each day, even though the weather was hot. It seems the only thing that has stopped this place from going under has been the steady trickle of OAP coach tour stopovers which punctuated our stay. Awful.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sophie G
Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
I am sorry to read that the décor of the hotel did not meet your expectations. All of our prices are based our hotel rate which are market driven. However, I am disappointed to read that you did not view your stay as good value for money. The hotel itself is an old Georgian building, but we are not aware of any damp issues and therefore the smell you experienced is being investigated. Your feed back is important to us and I would to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay.
Sandown, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I am staying at the Parkbury for several weeks whilst on business. On first appearance the decor may seem rather outdated however this is quickly overlooked when you meet the staff. The staff couldnt have done anymore to make me feel at home, and went above and beyond to ensure all my needs were met.

The location of the hotel is very good, only a few mintues walk from the beach and close (but not too close) to major roads for connections to Newport etc. Nice quiet area.

The food is fantastic offering a great range of dishes thoroughout the week at a reasonable price ( and thats coming from an ex-student!)

My allocated room was very clean and comfortable. Even though I booked a single room, I was placed in a double with bath/shower which was definately appreciated.

The evening entertrainment would not be my first choice, however appealled to the mass audience stayng at the hotel. I found much entertainment propted at the bar.

The hotel manager Nicola, duty manager Nicky, waiter Andy and even the handy man are all very friendly with a great sense of humour and definately make you feel at home.

I would definately recommend this hotel for people of all ages, whether stopping just for the night or for a longer stay. I disagree with previous reviews on the site and believe that guests must remember it does not claim to be a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Tigerbtch
Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel’s the hospitality of the staff. The hotel aims to offer quality accommodation, excellent hospitality and good value for money. I am very pleased to read that we have met your expectations. We really do value your custom and we will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.
London
Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

Overly warm rooms, wood chip wall paper,mattress clapped out, no shower curtain, entrance to bath room has hole on floor board beneath Lino. Bathroom window wouldn't shut properly. Duvet old and tatty, duvet cover cheap and not fastened properly.
Woken up at 6am by guests staying in room upstairs, the floor boards creeked, I could hear their bath running then draining down the drainpipe outside. I could even hear them talking.

The bar opening hours displayed opening times then closed 30 mins early on Friday and earlier on Saturday. Games room closed, heated outdoor swimming pool not working. Overall hasn't been decorated for 30 years!

• Stayed May 2012