“Cheap and connected”

Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
“Cheap and connected”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Its a nice hotel near the Sandown beach and bus stand.
Highs :Communication , eating area ,cost
Average service and facilities
Room curtains and garden are are good

Low:No internet, they don't offer you basic shampoo and body wash etc so carry them ,They just give you the soap .

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Joanna and her team who will be pleased to read them.

Please be assured that your comments have been taken on board and we certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

With Kind Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

my dad and my family enjoyed the stay here,Asia was brilliant never stopped working nicky and the staff was always on the go.Brilliant hotel and rooms was spacious for my 2yr old son,hopefully my Dad will book it again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Clifford D
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Asia and her team who will be pleased to read them.

Thank you once again for your custom and we certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Berkshire Township, Ohio
Reviewed 19 June 2013

The hotel looked impressive when we drove up although no spaces in the small car park due to a wedding being held there. Our room looked good too when we walked in (no. 12 - Queen Elizabeth) with a lovely 4-poster bed complete with curtains, but then you notice the holes in the wall where a shelf (or tv bracket) used to be. The door knob came off in our hand when we opened the wardrobe to put our clothes away and one bedside lamp didn't work. The chandelier only had three bulbs working out of five and was covered in cobwebs and there were also some on the ceiling. The bathroom was small and not very efficient. The hot water was dangerously hot - no warning signs and getting the mixer tap to the right temperature for a shower in the bath was a nightmare. The bath panel was cracked, the basin cold tap dripped and I too was disappointed that there were no toiletries - which is standard these days even in the budget hotels? Breakfast was also disappointing - first find your table - as another reviewer mentioned there were hand-written names on pieces of paper on the tables and we were wandering around bemused trying to find out where we were supposed to sit! I ordered porridge and as my title suggests - it was the worst I have ever had - it was grey, thin and watery and obviously made with water and not milk. The whole place seemed "cheap" if you know what I mean so I consider the £110 a night I paid, poor value for money. Staff were also very elusive. On the whole it is a lovely looking hotel and just needs a bit of TLC - it seems to suit older clientel very well and being as my husband and I are only in our sixties we might come back with a Saga coach tour one day perhaps - but I won't have the porridge!

4 Thank Linda P
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was very sorry to read your comments and in particular, those relating to various fixtures and fittings in your bedroom and bathroom. This has clearly not reached our usual standards and as such I must apologise. We have taken steps to address this by ensuring that the housekeeping and maintenance teams work quickly to put these issues right. Joanna, the General Manager is also to increase her spot checks on rooms before guests arrive.

We agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel, however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, I am glad that you found our staff to be helpful.

I was also sorry to read that the quality of food and dining experience did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is extremely important to us and we really do value your custom as such I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay.

Please be assured that all of your comments have been taken on board.

With Kind Regards.

Travellers are raving about these Sandown hotels

Herne Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My partner and I have just returned from the Parkbury having again travelled with the Grand UK coach company as part of a group of recycled teenagers !! What can I say about this hotel ? FANTASTIC !! The manager Asia and her assistant Nicky never seemed to stop working, always running around somewhere, made me feel exhausted just watching them. They both led by example a very happy and efficient group of staff,always with a smile on their faces although I would not be surprised to learn they would sometimes have to tear out their hair in private, it cannot always be easy trying to please everybody. We stayed at this hotel about four years ago and although the holiday was enjoyable I must say there has been a considerable improvement in the management this time. The chef also must be complimented on the standard of the food. Our room was clean and comfortable and overlooked the swimming pool, shame about the weather but as I have said in other reviews us mere mortals have no control over that !!

1 Thank shelagh t
Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently, it was particularly nice to read that you have returned after a previous stay at the hotel.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and to learn that you could see improvements this time. I have passed these on to Joanna (Asia), Nicky and the team who will be pleased to read them.

We certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

southend on sea, england
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My wife & i arrived home from this great hotel yesterday. The 3 day break was lovely from start to finish. The room we had (No.2) was huge & clean, bright & comfortable.
The meals were very good, a 5 course evening meal, inc. coffee & mints was delicious, with plenty of choice!!
Cannot fault this hotel at all & the staff were extremely friendly, even waived to us us we left to board our coach!!

Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2013

sidcup
Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in a single room for one night. The building is very impressive from the outside and reception too was nice with all the wood paneling.
The room was small and was made smaller by the liberal use of anaglypta. The decor was tired although clean. The en suite had a broken toilet seat, loose tap and only a small bar of soap in the way of toiletries.
Breakfast was from 8am but we had to wait until 10 past before they were ready. There were name cards on the tables which was a bit strange and I found a bit off putting. Breakfast in itself was good, decent quality and plenty of it.
Upon leaving there was no one around and despite ringing the bell twice I left without seeing anyone-not the friendliest departure I've experienced.
Overall it was cheap but even so, I wouldn't stay again as too many little touches missing.

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank janebSidcup
Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Thank you for your constructive feedback, following your recent stay with us.

We know there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel, however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, I am sorry that whilst you were happy with your breakfast, elements of your stay were not to your liking.

I was also sorry to read that there was no-one around when you checked out, this is not usual practice and will be discussed with Joanna, the General Manager.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Cowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Booked this hotel last minute for the night after taking part in the RTIR on the Isle of Wight over the weekend- most good hotels on the island were booked out. We were plesently surprised. Hotel was basic but good, very old-fashioned, with plenty of faded victorian seaside town grandeur- ideal for OAPs. And very cheap at £68 B&B in total for the two of us. Room was basic, but very clean. Comfortable bed. Beware, the shower was an electric power shower which was the usual rubbish when you get one in a hotel- scalding hot-freezing cold-dribble of water. And the radiators were broken; on full blast with boiling heat. We slept well though (sheer exhaustion from sailing) in comfortable bed with windows wide open to compensate for the heat from the radiators. If you want a cheap, clean, basic hotel in Sandown I recommend it. Also they have an outdoor swimming pool which looked like fun in (rare) warm sunny weather!

Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay with us.

We know there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

We do have a plumber looking at the shower in the room in question. We have only just turned off the heating in the hotel as the weather has not been that great recently, thank you again for your feedback.

Kind Regards.