“Photo misleading. Room and Bathroom Spotless”
Review of Parkbury Hotel

Parkbury Hotel
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Entrance is in Winchester Park Road. Rather annoying if you park in Hotel Car Park off Station Lane. Breakfast was up to standard as you expect. Cannot comment on evening meals served around 6:30pm. rather too early for the two of us. Beware some local Restaurants Kitchens close by 8pm. Booking is preferable to searching for place to eat in the rain.
Did not have to pay a Booking Fee up Front, which was a great Plus as far as I was concerned. Good Value.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you again for your comments and we do hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I like some of the other reviewers slightly panicked after reading some of the comments but I needn't have done.
The staff were warm and welcoming. I booked two rooms as it was a gift for my parents as they have no car. The room they gave my parents was fabulous, high ceilings good size and warm and clean. The breakfast was superb and once you were served you were left alone to chat.
In fact it's my mums birthday next month and as they liked the Ilse of Wight so much i have booked this hotel again. This was a great find. Keep up the good work guys. One quick note, It may not be the most up to date interior wise or have the best modern rooms but, what it lacks in style it makes up ten fold with character and atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback, following your stay at The Parkbury recently.

We know there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel, however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

We travelled with Grand UK HOLIDAYS Mon/Fri NICKYdeputy manager EXCELLENT,as a child I travelled on the ARCADIA ship (the R has been left out of the writing on the lounge wall)ANDREWbar/waiterEXCELLENT CHEF menu/food EXCELLENT hotel clean ALL staff very friendly BRAIN MARTIN entertainment EXCELLENT ANDREW VAN DAY rubbish sorry Lucky with weather husband used the pool VERY ENJOYABLE WEEK THANK YOU.

Room Tip: WE first had room no 9 but lock on door was faulty we were put into room no 42 which was very servic...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marilyn D

Thank you for your positive feedback. It is nice to get complementary comments along with the constructive comments and it was pleasing to read you had enjoyed your stay at The Parkbury.

Once again many thanks.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

No reply to email about ferries. Payment in advance before key was received. Booked a 23 sq m room - actual size only 17 sq m (incl bathroom). Filthy pillow inside clean pillowcase. Badly stained carpet. Toilet seat worn through to bare wood. Window - only possible to open lower half. Therefore direct access to room from outside via fire escape. Our room was the fire escape route for the whole floor. One night there was a wedding party with heavy amplified music till past midnight. Wedding guests blocked the car park. The stage was just below our room. We booked a garden view but could only see a black roof with dead seagull. Shower for swimming pool not working. Sunbeds occupied by staff. Although a “no smoking hotel” firealarm was set off by cigarette smoke. Firemen attended – no sleep until after 1 a. m. Strong smell of cigarette smoke embedded in carpets and curtains throughout hotel. Not a very safe place with no staff manning the desk. Shower had only two options either scalding hot or cold water. It seems that the hotel is about to close down. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Bo K
Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback, following your recent stay with us.

It was disappointing to hear that the hotel did not meet with your expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is extremely important to us and we really do value your custom as such I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay.

Many thanks

Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as a fairly last minute trip. The photos are nothing like the actual hotel. When we arrived we almost did not get parked as the car park is tiny and there was a coach parked up. The rooms were very basic, like old style b&b, they were clean but need an update. Our shower was not in the bathroom, it was in another room across the room. The room itself was very small and had only a blanket on the bed not a duvet so it got quite chilly. The other guests were all over the age of 70 and when we went into the bar they were playing bingo so we got a taxi and went elsewhere. The breakfast was ok, there just was not a lot of it. Overall I would say the hotel is more of a b&b,
It was cheap and cheerful, performed its function for what we needs but I wouldn't have stayed for any longer than one night. It needs a bit of TLC!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Gloria M
Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

I really was very sorry to read your comments regarding the overall décor of the Parkbury, we agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this forms part of a rolling maintenance programme. Your comments have been noted and a review of whether any more immediate improvements can be made is currently being discussed.

I was also sorry to hear that the food quality did not meet your expectations on this occasion. In the main we do receive good comments from our guests regarding our food, so it is unfortunate that our usual standards appear not to have been met on this occasion.

Once again thank you for your comments and please be assured that I have taken them on board.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 12 August 2013

The fire alarm kept going off on our 1st night stay this was a nightmare as in our room we had no instructions on where to meet in a fire etc ! Our room was poor with a makeshift double bed and headboard.This was a stay for my birthday and the bar didn't open until 5pm ! ,the breakfast was average and we had to send my friends scramble eggs on toast back coz the utensils used to to serve up the other tables kippers was also used to serve up my friends eggs! They were fishy.Poor ! Cross contamination came to mind as I have been in catering for many years myself. There was a wedding on the Saturday night , they hadn't paid for the whole hotel but we were told we couldn't sit in the garden next to the bar coz of the wedding guest's, i didn't like this as we had to sit the other side of the hotel and have a drink before we had our night out. When we arrived at the hotel we had no one to show us to our rooms or even take our luggage and had to ring for assistance as there was nobody to greet us at all !.This hotel lacks in staff and could be alot better I am not going to bore you with more details but I wasn't over impressed. I love the I.O.W but not this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your review of your stay with us recently.

I was very disappointed to read your comments and learn of your frustrations during your stay, particularly as this was a special occasion for you. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the disappointment caused to you.

It was concerning to read your comments regarding the food service, this is certainly not a usual practice and has been discussed at length with Joanna and her team to ensure it does not happen again.

I was also sorry that you were disturbed by the fire alarm, I know there was a storm on the night in question which caused a fault with it. This is currently being looked at by an engineer to ensure it is fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you again for your constructive review and please be assured that all of your comments have been taken on board and these will be used to conduct a full review of the aspects you have described.

With Kind Regards

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Comfortable hotel ,clean rooms although a little dated. Very friendly and helpful staff and a good swimming pool. Would definitely stay here again when I'm in town .Breakfast especially great which set us up for the day

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Deb C
Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you for your very kind review of your stay with us recently.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Joanna and her team who I know will appreciate the feedback. Your comments certainly reflect what we strive to achieve so thank you again.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

With Kind Regards