“Excellent Week”
Review of Parkbury Hotel

Parkbury Hotel
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 11 April 2014

A superb hotel in a great location. The Parkbury is a throw-back to the golden age of cruise liners, each room with its own nautical theme. The hotel abounds in wood, much rescued from old ships apparently. From the car park it was not clear where we had to go to find reception, luckily the bar door was open so we managed to gain access. The main hotel entrance is on a different road to the car park. My room was excellent, nothing missing! I had been given a double room instead of my booked single which was a good gesture by the reception staff. The bed and breakfast package was superb value for money with a three course breakfast offered each morning, served at sensible times as well. We chose to eat in the hotel restaurant on the first night but the room lacked atmosphere so went elsewhere on subsequent evenings. I would like to have been able to greet the staff by name but unfortunately only one member of staff wore a name badge at any time during the week, that was Andrew the Duty Manager on the last morning. The other staff who looked after us in the dining room etc every day were wonderful, the lady with black hair and the young man who ran the breakfast service were always helpful and considerate. Please thank then on my behalf. I would definitely recommend The Parkbury to anybody planning on a few days on the Isle of Wight. I will certainly be returning.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Gemma A, Guest Relations Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.

We read all our reviews and take any negative feedback very seriously and try to resolve any issues swiftly.

There are newer reviews for Parkbury Hotel

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Great location, easy to find. Nice old fashioned place. Rooms and all areas lovely and clean although we did hear the female manager on at the staff quite a lot and unnecessarily very rude to them. Staff do work hard to make your stay pleasant and comfortable. Grounds kept nice and love the building itself. We would return but recommend the Manager (Ushar) goes on a man management course. Could do with a lick of paint and general TLC especially pool.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank clarkesmith5
Gemma A, Guest Relations Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at our Hotel.

The hotel boasts a wonderful location and delighted that the staff worked hard to make your stay enjoyable. We are aware that we have area in which the décor is due for an update and we will continue to address these areas.

With regards to your comments regarding Asia the General Manager these will be noted although I do assure you she works very hard to try and ensure the smooth operational running of the Hotel and I apologise if she came across unprofessionally.

I do hope you would consider staying at The Parkbury in the future and thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I booked this at random and no idea of the nautical connection, that was a bonus. One night stay but we were impressed, great value for money. Is it Hilton standard, no but then it isn't Hilton prices either.

It's a bit quirky, never been asked if I had booked breakfast before and then led to a table with my name already on it. No complaints though and will certainly be back.

1  Thank Westerbergr

Thank you for your review regarding our Hotel.

It is really pleasing to learn you were pleasantly surprised and that felt you received good value for money.

It is great to receive your positive review and thank you very much for taking the time to share your personal experience.

Joanna and her team will look forward to welcoming you back to The Parkbury soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I spent 4 nights with my husband in parkbury hotel in March 2014 and it is really amazing we got surprised with the location , the cleanliness , the Sauna & the WI FI as nothing of these were mentioned on Booking .com or even tripadvisor , but it is totally the opposite , there are very bad reviews here, very bad pictures , although we took the risk and booked as we need the room only for sleep at night , we normally spend all day out and we do have our internet on phones.
But really we got surprised with the strong WI FI , with the sauna which we used & it is really good
and to be fair enough , the room was not that perfect & not that clean , it is a simple room with simple toilet , i can rate clean 70% , in the 5 days the sheet and the towels were the same , that was a bit odd , but when we asked they said we dont change sheet every day & if you put the towel in the bath we would take it otherwise we dont.
But that was not a big deal for us because the sheet was clean anyway & we used our towel from home .
Need to mention that the lovely Joanna is an amazing person who tries her best to make the hotel the best :)
Also i will post pictures to see how it is a good hotel , bit vintage , and will leave review on booking.com which is now 7.5 rating
The hotel is 10 min walk to the beach & the pier , and the good restaurants on the beach like the reef & the legend .
Also 15 min to go to the zoo & Dinosaur isle .
My favorite attraction were the Osborn house , the needles , the beach on Ventnor , the glass factories , the old village , Bembridge windmill and of course the sand beaches
If you just walk in the isle of wight streets , i think you will feel happy.
My best restaurant was Lobester & crab Inn in Bembridge you should try it.
I only can say that the bed was not that comfortable , and the shower water is very wick.

Room Tip: the one with a garden view in the second floor
1  Thank DinaDika

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at The Parkbury.

I am very pleased to learn that we exceeded your expectations.

We do value your feedback and your comments regarding the room have been duly noted and we will address these points with Joanna the Hotel General Manager to improve.

We are currently in the process of updating our Booking.com site and following your comments we will ensure we sell ourselves better!

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of our property and we hope to be able to welcome you back to our Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Admittedly, I was a little apprehensive about staying here, as the prices are considerably cheaper than their competitors, 'Fawlty Towers' Experience sprung to mind.....not in the least, 'Faultless Towers' more like. Very impressed with the whole experience. It's a beautiful old building, based on the interior of a ship, the wood is absolutely beautiful. Our room was a very clean large double room, with an equally clean bathroom, beautiful crisp clean sheets every day, with fresh towels, with french doors leading on to a balcony. If I had any gripes, it would be that the mattress could do with replacing, think the springs had well and truly sprung, but for three nights, very bareable, and the shower could do with being connected to a bracket above the bath, rather than a hand held one, but again, a minor gripe, although water was very warm and plentiful with a good flow. As for the staff....FABULOUS!!! Joanna was the General Manager and nothing was too much trouble, I found the first night a little chilly, being a large old room, although heaters were working fine, when mentioning this to Joanna, she hot footed it up stairs behind us with a portable heater which did the trick, and again, whilst having breakfast the first morning,I asked if they had Mint tea, Joanna was very apologetic that they didn't have any, but assured me she would have some for tomorrow breakfast....and true to her word, she did, there it was waiting for me....Very Impressed! In fact, all the staff were very helpful and a pleasure to talk too..... Breakfast was more than adequate, with a choice of Yoghurt, fruit and cereals, fruit juice a'plenty, then a choice of cooked breakfasts and plenty of toast, absolutely delicious.....I think the only potential problem could be the lack of enough parking spaces if you arrive back late at night, we did squeeze in a couple of nights, but again, staff were very helpful.... I Really don't know how most other places on the IOW can get away with charging so much a night, if the Parkbury can do it, and do it well, then maybe other establishments should take a leaf out of the Parkbury's book!!.Overall, a very pleasant lovely experience staying in a very pleasant lovely hotel! Thank you.

Room Tip: I only know we had room 11, which had a balcony, great if you're a smoker, like my partner, so m...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review following your stay at our Hotel.

I am delighted to learn that you were pleasantly surprised with our property and that our team provided good levels of hospitality.

Our staff do work hard to provide good customer service and it’s very pleasing to receive such favourable comments. The team will be very pleased to read your review.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Parkbury in the near future.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Just returned from Christmas break at the Parkbury. Hotel is owned by travel company "Grand UK" who ran the tour we were on,
Layout of hotel is a little odd, originally being two large houses, now linked by a common area used as a bar and entertainment area
Service and all services were excellent, as were all meals. At least three choices of all courses.
Staff were always very helpful and friendly, the young manageress obviously ran a tight ship.
The ship comparison is appropriate as the the paneling in the hotel came from the liner "Aquitainia" and marine references abound.

Room Tip: Hotel in only on two floors, no lift, so ground floor is you have mobitly problems
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you for your very kind review of your stay with us recently.

I was extremely pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to manager and her team who I know will appreciate the feedback. Your comments certainly reflect what we strive to achieve so thank you again.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

With Kind Regards

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Just returned from a weekend break staying at this hotel and had a lovely time. The hotel was clean and inviting , we had two rooms close together which we had requested both were lovely.
all staff were friendly from the reception area to the waitress at breakfast. Have no complaints at all infact looking to repeat my stay next year!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to the manager and her team who will be pleased to read them.

We pride ourselves on the level of service provided and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

With Kind Regards