“excellent & no complaints!”
Review of Parkbury Hotel

Parkbury Hotel
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 24 October 2010

I stayed here on a Grand UK coach tour(18th to 22nd October).
Having read the hotel reviews prior to my trip,I was wondering what it would be like.All I can say is that I personally could not find fault.I had a ground floor room,which was clean and everything worked perfectly.Breakfast was very good,with choices, and the evening meal was even better with choices on all the dishes,including a vegeterian dish.The food was always hot and a lot of thought had gone into quality and presentation.I would like to congratulate the hotel on its chef and also all the staff.The waiting staff were really pleasant and nothing was too much trouble,they all had a smile on their face and even when it was time to go,all lined up outside to wave us off.
I would recommend this hotel break.

• Stayed: October 2010
3  Thank norfolkgirl-Heacham

Reviewed 21 May 2010

Stayed here for a four day/three night break. Four days and three nights too many. The food was inedible and each night at least one member of the party made a complaint about the standard. All fell on deaf ears I think . When I actually wrote to Grand Uk who organized the tour and own the hotel to advise them of my complaints I received a reply that made me think I had stayed at the wrong hotel. One member of the staff actually said that she thought a particular dish (which was actually inedible) was one of the best she had ever cooked. All I can say is if that was the best well I'd hate to have tasted the worst. Stay here at your peril.

• Stayed: April 2010
3  Thank jjwren
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Stayed at this hotel in April. Food not bad, but don't have the fish and chips! Breakfast ok. Our main problem was the shower - it didn't work. We complained and got moved to another room - lo and behold, that shower didn't work either! Just a trickle of cold water. The management did try to sort it for us but the plumber couldn't seem to sort it out. I think there is a major problem with the water in this hotel. Other people had problems too. We ended up showing in the sauna area but that wasn't much better. At least it was hot though. Hotel staff very friendly and did their best. This hotel could do with a major facelift.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KentLesley51
Reviewed 20 March 2010

The rooms were nice and clean and beds comfortable with fresh cotton sheets and pillow cases, all the staff treated us well and nothing was too much trouble if asked. the dining room was bright and the food was always hot and well cooked but there was only ever two choices on the evening meal menu. There was entertaiment on two nights of our four night stay and my wife and I thought it was good value break.

• Stayed: March 2010
2  Thank HippyWirral
Reviewed 27 December 2009

I have just read the reviews of this hotel ..oh how i wished that i had done this before embarking on the worst holiday ever !!!! We have just returned from a four night stay at the Parkbury ( a christmas special ) This hotel apparently is one of a few owned by Grand UK Holidays with whom we have travelled before " never again"
The food was cold.. tasteless..poorly cooked and very small portions.. Full breakfast " AWFUL" meagre portions ..bread crusts used for fried bread impossible to cut.." but saves chef from throwing them away" i cannot talk about the Chrismas dinner or any other meal served to us this week , and as for entertainment we are still in shock !!!
The room was clean but the water was simply not hot enough to shower or bath, any towels left on the floor were picked up and put back on the bath, fresh ones were not an option.
Highlight of the week was a trip to the pantomime on the last full day.. and for a while our spirits were lifted .
The cost of this holiday does not reflect what we would have expected i know we could have got much better and will not use this Hotel again!!!

• Stayed: December 2009
2  Thank kentish55
Reviewed 6 December 2009

Friendly reception: regimented and unyielding service at breakfast, food cold, no choice of breakfast items, cheap ingredients, in fact cheap everything. However, if you love chicory coffee (they said it was coffee), grey coloured tea, cold fatty bacon, cold sausages, really thin toast, no beans or tomatoes (unless it is the day that that these are on the menu) pop along. The room may smell a little and the bathroom may be small and outdated but at £30 per person per night they obviously think they have it sewn up.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lensview
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Our room was very dated & not very big. Not a bit like the picture on the website. It was very neglected with several things requiring attention, like no handle on wardrobe, plus the door was broken. The window was was cracked which let the draught in. The bathroom was no better, the shower cubicle was broken & could only be used at times due to low cold water pressure, making the shower unbearably hot. There was black mould on tile grout too. Meals were average, but very small in quantity, One of the best things was being within walking distance to the town & Seafront.

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank DenisebEssex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
#22 of 29 in Sandown
Royal Pier Hotel
Royal Pier Hotel
#15 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Parkbury Hotel? Share your experiences!