“you are just a number...”
Review of The Ocean Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandown
The Ocean Hotel
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
north east england
“you are just a number...”
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Don't bother. They bus in coach loads of people, provide mediocre food and less than mediocre entertainment, and heaven help you if you should ask for a different room. Our 'family' room was obviously just a double room with bunk beds squeezed in. The shower needed to be fiddled with in order to work. I did ask for a different room and met with what can only be described as a hostile reception. They made no effort to find us another room even though I offered to pay for something bigger. I could hear someone in the office behind reception saying 'it's a family room, tell her it's a family room'.

However, the hotel and it's communal spaces are fine. The swimming pool is ok too, though when I went for a swim at 8.30 in the morning, all the loungers had been claimed with towels though there was not a soul in sight.

The waiting staff in the restaurant are the best thing about this hotel. They work hard morning and night and nothing is too much trouble for them.

I wouldn't go again. Ever.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank widebluesky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
suffolk
Reviewed 24 July 2009

This is a hotel / retirement home full of busloads of pensioners on their annual jollee. They obviously don't want wifi or a decent shower or the hotel would provide it. Rooms have fantastic seaviews and the pool is great coz its always empty. Entertainment is dire - bad country and western and cheesy crooners. Staff not very friendly and have a distanced 'conveyer belt' feel to customers. I'm not entirely sure they like having children there and perhaps they should note that their target market is literally dying out and they need to broaden their appeal. Food is horrible, coffee the worst I've ever tasted. In great spot though and has wonderful potential.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank memyselfiee
Aylesbury
Reviewed 2 July 2009

The Ocean is one of several hotels that gives good views along Sandown beach to which you have to pay extra to have sea facing room. The Ocean along with the others also have a noisy road at the
back so getting a sea view is essential to me. Also the Ocean has a car park for around 25 cars on a first come basis and can get full quickly. Coach parties do help to reduce the impact. There is also parking on the seafront currently £6.50 per day. (see photo with rates). Also the hotel can issue visitors all Island public parking for £5 a day (Min 2 days).

If you wish to go by car, speak to the hotels first as they have favourable rates with the ferries and will absorb the cost if you stay with them.

For those arriving on an early ferry we found the Morrison's at Lake did a superb breakfast I can
recommend it was the best I had.

After a late booking at the Ocean hotel my wife and I were given a large clean and tidy family room which turned out to be a bit quirky, as a long time ago another floor had been put in to accommodate more rooms resulting in us having the top half of of two arched windows. One window was sealed and the other only opened a small margin restricted by 6 inch chains. The room was warm when we arrived and I asked if longer chains could be fitted but health and safety was quoted by maintenance. I was offer a fan instead which I turned down. In fairness the room did cool down as the sun went around and did not unduly bother me but I would have liked it cooler the bed covers were not used by me. The room was clean and tidy the décor was 60s wood chip paper recently painted, hiding lumpy walls. The bathroom, however, had been recently renovated with new tiles and new suite.

There is a lift to all floors for the elderly

The dinners were served in nice surrounding although a little cramped

The dinners were fairly standard seaside hotel meals but generous portions and we were always served promptly.

The entertainment for me was like going to a 1950's wedding reception with the entertainers still playing the same numbers but for some of the clientèle it could have been a nostalgia trip.

Beach charges 2009 deck chairs £2, chair bed £3.50, umbrella £2, and windbreak £2 per day (no half days). The Ocean hotel does have a garden and a swimming pool with lots of deckchairs for your use but the garden has a high hedge stopping a view of the sea.

A number of restaurants in Sandown have opened this year making it possible to eat out

Summing up The grandeur it must have had in the past is looking tired but it is a nice clean hotel perfectly situated for the beach.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DelboyAylesbury
dudley west midlands
Reviewed 27 June 2009

What a fabulous holiday on the Isle of White. All week, the weather was glorious and the islanders were so friendly. We stayed at the Ocean Hotel; a lovely old, imposing, Victorian hotel right on the sea-front. Fabulous sea views with a tropical garden frontage where you can sit and relax. No other sea front hotel has this. Very warm and welcoming staff, nothing was too much trouble. Good old fashioned values of common courtesy, politeness and hospitable service at its best.
We had a smaller sea-facing room, ( a little extra but well worth it) . There are larger sea facing rooms with balconies but this was the only sea view room available as we had left booking a little late. The curtains were faded and the decor dated but it was spotlessly clean and comfortable. Tea making facilities were available in the room.
We stayed at the hotel on a half board basis and the food, generally, was very nice, although the main course could be a bit hit and miss. If you are a big eater, portion size might be a problem. Although the hotel serves a cold buffet lunch, we did not eat in at lunch time. I can recommend the food at Bellamy's which is situated just over the road from the hotel. The food is home-made and beatifully cooked to order.
The Ocean Hotel caters mainly for the older generation and the evening entertainment reflects this. Teenagers might not enjoy this hotel so much. Having said that ,we did have so much fun. I found the older folk to be really fun-loving and friendly. It was like stepping back in time to when I was a youngster and people seemed to repect each other so much more. I loved staying at this hotel. It has a faded elegance about it but it also has a lovely warm homely feel too. If, some time in the future, we decide to visit the Isle of White again, I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else but the Ocean Hotel. Thank you for taking care of us so well.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank spreadeagle1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
#7 of 29 in Sandown
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to The Ocean Hotel? Share your experiences!