“friendly and personal service”
Review of Marina Bay Hotel

Marina Bay Hotel
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Groupon deal which was an excellent price. on arrival we were greeted in a very friendly manner,went with friends, sea view room and the view was excellent,clean rooms,run by young family,very helpful.evening meals average,breakfast good,very good location,would go again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Binda K

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Just got back from a 5 day trip to the Marina Bay Hotel with a coach trip so I cannot say exactly what it cost. However, what I can say is whatever it was , it was too much!I cannot believe how inacurate the other reviews have been for this hotel.First the good points: it has a commanding position overlooking the beach in Sandown, the waiting staff in the restaurant are very hardworking and professional with a charming manner, the bedding and towels were of good quality and clean.Breakfasts were pretty good, hot and as ordered. Unfortunately I have now run out of good things to say. If I hadn't been with a large party I would have left after the first night. The whole hotel is very tired and 'done up' to a minimal standard with poor painting and repair. When we arrived in our very pokey double bedroom the towel rail was on the floor, the wardrobe was only standing because it was leaning against the wall, there was rust and mould in the bathroom, the net curtains had holes in them, the hairdryer was melted in its wall socket.The fire doors in the upstairs corridor which should have been shut were pinned open.Evening meals are best described as adequate for nutrition but lacking in flair or flavour. I suspect they were boil in the bag with packet soups and custards made with water. Cheese and biscuits consisted of 3 biscuits with a small slab of prepacked cheddar still in its little wrapping- the sort you would give a child in his lunchbox.Our friends fared even worse with a broken cold shower for 3 nights. Another lady had the ceiling falling in. I could go on but you must get the idea by now. The owners, listen to complaints and make meagre attempts to put it right without actually doing what is required. There are much better places to go in the I of W.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank sanwat
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Myself and my boyfriend booked a 2 night stay through a Groupon deal which was an excellent price. on arrival we were greeted in a very friendly manner, all times of the meals were explained to us. i was pleased with the room, we had paid extra for a sea view room and the view was excellent. the room itself was fine, had everything you needed, the mattress could have done with updating as it was quite uncomfortable. The only thing that was a bit strange was the room itself was quite dated whereas the bathroom was very modern with a brilliant shower, if the rest of the room was up to that standard i would have nothing to moan about.

Breakfast was lovely! quite a short window to get up in the morning between half 8-9 but that wasn't a problem. service was quick and the breakfast was very nice with a good selection and the staff were more than happy to alter any dish to suit.

really haven't got any major complaints at all. i think its a perfect hotel for a short getaway and its location couldn't be better! right on the beach front, a stone throw away from the Sandown Pier.

All in all, we had a great time! thank you very much!

Room Tip: I would recommend a sea view room, beautiful sounds of the ocean.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Roxyandjason
Marina Bay H, Owner at Marina Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Thanks for your review.
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and loved your seaview room.
I'm not really sure what you found dated in the room, as the rooms had just recently been painted white with a modern wall paper put only on one wall.
Glad to hear another person commenting on how our breakfast service was fast and how it tasted lovely. We would love to see you both again.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

On arrival to this hotel the young man was very polite and helpful, we were advised that
breakfast was from 8:30 - 9:00 everyday and dinner was 6:30 - 7:00 {really in this day and age!}
the room was quiet clean and the view a genuine Sea View lovely. Unforunately the shower
is either boiling hot or freezing cold, the towel rail wasn't on, and towels are changed only once
a week {weather they need it or not!} so in the morning the towels were all soaking wet, when we
arrived after a day out, the bed was made, the bins were not emptied the towels just left not touched or folded,they do not supply any little bars of soap, shower Gel etc. so take your own, but the final insult came when I asked for a replacement toilet roll, as my husbands suffers with IBS we use more than one day sometimes, the guy did give me one, and on the next morning I still had some left on it, so to ensure they left a fresh one I put it in my ZIPPED TOILET BAG, IN A CLOSED DRAW and when we got back to the room I went to use it, it had been removed from the bag and placed on the holder!! No telephone in the room, toilet doors opens onto the bed.

Room Tip: Front rooms have lovely sea view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank hairylenghts

Hi,
Thanks for taking time to write a lengthy review.
Firstly I would like to point out that we are a two star hotel and these meal times are within our two star guidance. The room you stayed in had just been renovated including the bathroom about 3 weeks prior to you checking in. The shower is fitted with an electric shower to you can regulate the temperature yourself. Not once did you mention to us during your stay that your bed was not made or your bins weren't emptied, if this was reported then we could have informed the housekeeping staff to take action as thats what we are employing them to do.
Again if you mentioned the toilet roll situation and just requested an extra few each day then we would have told the right person to ensure a few extra rolls were placed in your bathroom each day. We cannot put things right or accommodate your needs if you do not mention them to us.
We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

We were fortunate enough to have got this hotel for a very good price of £79 for two nights bed and breakfast. However, if we had paid the full tariff we would have been very disappointed.

We were put into a room with a double bed and two bunk beds. Although it was clean it was tired looking and the decor needed some work. It did feel like we had booked to stay at a youth hostel rather than the hotel, so if you are looking for a nice romantic trip with a view of the seafront I wouldn't make this your first choice.

On the plus side the breakfast was nicely cooked and the breakfast room was bright and clean but the service was quite slow and some of the staff were more friendly than others.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laura M

Hi,
Thanks for taking time to write a review for us.
Yes you are right for a two star hotel and for a two night stay with breakfast for two people £79is a very good rate.
The room you were in is one of our family rooms, which is spacious. The bathroom was recently fitted.
I'm surprised to hear you thought the service was slow and some of the staff weren't as friendly as all previous reviews always talk about the fast breakfast service and friendly staff.
We hope to see you soon .

Reviewed 5 October 2013

I recently spent 4night coach break at this hotel and was very pleased with my single room as thought i would end up in a tiny box room in th attic but instead was on the ground floor in a very spacious room and excellent shower room. The food was very good with a good choice of all courses to choose from which were served very quickly by great staff who were always friendly and only to happy to serve.. unlike some hotels I have previously staffed in. Overalll a great friendly Hotel in a beautiful place. I would deffiantly stay here again and reccomend this place to friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank caroline71westmids

Hi,
Thanks for writing a review for us. We are pleased to hear you found your single room spacious. We do try to ensure that all the meals are served quickly and people aren't sat around waiting for their food, so glad to hear you found our service efficient.
We would love to see you back here.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I have recently returned from a weekend at the marina bay with a group of 55 of our group on arrival we were greeted by the owner who asked me to help with the booking in process which speeded things up .he then showed me the dining room where he had set out my table plans
vittel then offered myself and my husband a drink at the bar which was a nice gesture.
our room was lovely spacious light newly decorated a lovely bathroom with a sea view I know some rooms were not as good and need attention but none of my group had any major complaints
we would have liked clean towels but this they did not do
all the entertainment was very good each different but it kept my group entertained ,the food was good with plenty of choice and the waiters and waitresses were friendly all in all a good weekend
vittell and is family were extremely helpful and even took one couple up into town in the car a big thankyou from us all

Room Tip: room 38 lovely big room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank mazer

Thanks for writing a review for us.
It was a great pleasure having you and your group stay with us. I'm pleased to hear you all had fab time.
We are pleased to hear you all enjoyed the entertainment and the meals at the hotel.
We would love to see you all again (hopefully soon)
Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
Sandown Hotel
#15 of 29 in Sandown
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to Marina Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!