“Amazing!”
Review of Marina Bay Hotel

Marina Bay Hotel
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I went here with my year and it was so good! My birthday was the second day we came, I got a cake (which my mum ordered) it was so delicious. The owners were so nice. The cleanliness was outstanding and I couldn't find one speck of dirt. I would love to go again. Thank you!

Room Tip: We had 30 so maybe that would be good or 31
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Susan H

Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at Marina Bay for two nights as we toured the south of England. We booked it on a deal but unfortunately all the sea view rooms had been reserved so we had to take a room at the rear.
On arrival we were pleasantly surprised. It was in a great position, elevated from the road and overlooking the sea. The reception was large and bright and we could see through into the bar and dining areas all with huge windows looking out onto the view.
But our enthusiasm began to dwindle when we were taken up three flights of stairs to our room. It was small, so small in fact there was not enough room for a bed side table at the wall side of the bed and you had to shuffle sideways to get in. The décor was bland to say the least with all except one wall above the bed flat white. There were no spare sockets near the beds for your lap top or phone and because the room was so small the bed was the only place to sit.
As a plumber myself I could have written an essay about the en-suite but lets just say whoever did it should have gone to Specsavers. All these little things were reminders that we had decided go for the cheap option. Having said all this, the room, bed and bathroom were all immaculately clean.
So was it a bargain? Well on both nights we slept well, then in the mornings went down to the dining room with the huge windows overlooking the bay and ate a plentiful breakfast served by very pleasant people for about the same price Victoria Beckham might pay for a box of tissues, then yes it was a bargain.

Room Tip: We've read that the rooms with sea views are bigger and better quality so it would be worth payi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter L
Marina Bay H, Owner at Marina Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thanks for your comments.
I agree we are brilliantly located and have fantastic seaview from the hotel. However we are sorry that you weren't able to book one of the seaview rooms. However the room you were staying in had just been renovated about 4 months ago.
All the rooms are the same size and I appreciate you didn't have the largest room, however I'm glad to hear you found the whole hotel including your room clean.
All our rooms have at least one wall painted a bright colour so I'm interested in your comments re the bland flat white wall.
If you had requested an extension lead then we wouldn't have had any problems In providing one for you.
I have to say you received a very good deal, pay one persons rate and get one free with breakfast included so defiantly a bargain I agree.

Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed at the Marina Bay Hotel from the 31st May -7th June 2014.We had not stayed here before but would certainly stay again. The rooms are comfortable and very clean we stayed in room 4 which was situated at the side of the building and apart from the bathroom being very small (we are quite large people) everything was fine.Plain white bedding which was very white and nice thick towels. We enjoyed every meal and portions were good any special requests for food were soon met.One thing that could be improved is the method of ordering meals, having to wait for staff to get round everyone for their order for the next meal could be solved by a simple check list to tick for required items then left on your table for staff to collect. The dining room staff are very busy and this would make one job easier for them.Having stayed in hotels using this method for meals we know it works.
The hotel is in a very good location and Mr. Patel, his family and staff are so friendly and helpful nothing is too much trouble. Entertainment is provided most evenings and is quite good.There is a good well stocked bar and for a hotel the drinks are quite cheap. So with entertainment and reasonable drink prices we stayed in the hotel every night.I would just like to Thank everyone at the Marina Bay for making our holiday such a happy one THANKYOU

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank denca_11

Thanks for your comments. So pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree you didn't have the largest bathroom however it had been newly decorated.
We apologise you had to wait around to give your next meal order. However we do feel that we loose the personal touch by just leaving slips of paper on the table for you to make you selection. Whereas we would like it to be a bit more personalised.
Glad to hear you enjoyed the entertainment too.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Me and my friend Hannah stayed there for 1 night, it's situated right across from a beautiful sandy beach. The room was clean the bed was comfortable. More importantly for me the staff were really friendly. Nothing was too much trouble they gave us idea for day trips and 2 rounds of extra toast and didn't charge us. All in all good hotel, I'd defiantly go back and stay there.

Room Tip: The rooms are pretty basic but the beds comfy and clean
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Hotel is in good location but the management team / owners not perfect. Owners at the reception speak on their language, NO welcome sign form them that makes you, as a guest feel unwanted.
No 24 hour Reception- no late welcome or service on arrival, rooms noisy and mattresses very poor quality- not advisable for those with back problem. even my 10 year old could not sleep comfortably.
Health and Safety ISSUES - with loose handles in the bathroom or on drawers in the room, toilet with the wobbling toilet seat.

Child UNFRIENDLY hotel.

......Though staff are nice at the restaurant

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Natia1979

Thanks for your comments.
These are very unfair comments, as you all left with smiles on your faces. The reason for your review is because I contacted you after you left to inform you of the that you had broken the shower rail and we found cigarette butts down the toilet. Not only are we a non smoking hotel but you had two children in the room under 4 with you, now that's a health and safely issue with regards to your own children.
I personally checked you in at 10pm at night and greeted you by your name which you were impressed with.
You didn't inform us of an uncomfy bed or wobbly toilet seat. These are new complaints to us, had we know we could have fixed these issues for you.
You mentioned you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us before you left and asked us to check availability for you for this year august.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I have spent 5 days staying with 72 children and 8 teachers at this hotel and from the moment we arrived Mr and Mrs Patel could not do enough for us. Nothing was too much trouble. We had some children and adults with challenging food allergies they went out of there way to meet these needs. Not only did we have breakfast and an evening meal they supplied packed lunch every day as well which was always something different. Excellent week thanks.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I booked a two night stay here with my husband. We had a beautiful sea view. The room we had was very spacious. Comfortable bed. The only reason I've not given it a 5 star rating for the room is well it ant 5 star. How ever its very clean and very comfortable. What more could you ask for. The only thing that did let it down for me was no hand soap in the on suite.

• Stayed: May 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
#7 of 29 in Sandown
Royal Pier Hotel
Royal Pier Hotel
#15 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Marina Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!